AR-10/15 QUESTIONS

Discuss AR / M4 / M16 / AK / SKS...

AR-10/15 QUESTIONS

SGT Sponsor:

-SGT Sponsor-

AR-10/15 QUESTIONS

Postby MOSINMAN1332 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:52 pm

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO OBTAIN A AR-STYLE FIREARM.. HOWEVER I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION? IS IT BETTER TO BUY A COMPLETE READY TO GO RIFFLE OR BETTER TO GET A LOWER THEN A UPPER THEN OPTICS AND ACCESORIES? PLEASE HELP THE AR-NEWBIE :?:
MOSINMAN1332

City, State: spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock G34
Next Firearm: M-240b

Re: AR-10/15 QUESTIONS

Postby thumpar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 pm

It depends on what you want. If you are going pretty custom then build it. If it is just something that you want to add some parts too just buy complete.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.
thumpar
SGT Classifieds Moderator

City, State: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Postby MOSINMAN1332 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 pm

I HAVE NEVER OWNED A QUALITY FIREARM.. MOST EXPENSIVE I OWN IS 300$.. 7 CURRENTLY.. HOWEVER I WANT TO OBTAIN/BUILD A AR 15/10 AND EVENTUALLY HAVE THIS ONE GO-TO FIREARM THAT I NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT PERFORMANCE ISSUES AS WELL AS HAVE A RIFFLE THAT CAN BE USED IN 3-GUN COMPETITIONS...
SO BASSICALLY IS IT MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO BUY PIECE BY PIECE OR BUY ONE THAT HAS BEEN UPGRADED FROM THE FACTORY... I SEE USED LOWERS GOING FOR UNDER 300$ AND UPPERS NO MORE THAN 400$.. WHAT TO DO?
MOSINMAN1332

Postby scrappy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 pm

I would buy a new gun, in one piece, assembled and ready to go. Any decent AR will do anything you ask of it. Forget hanging a bunch of crap on it (lasers, "tactical forends", flashlights, 3 kinds of sights, etc). I saw 2 at the valley WalMart today for $849 each. The money wasted on all the bells and whistles, that truthfuly serve little purpose other than to make someone else money, can be far better spent on ammo and training. A well made rifle, some good training and a lot of practice are what will make you a rifleman to be reckoned with, not gadgets. Training, such as a 4 day class at Frontsight (outside Las Vegas) can do amazing things. Having been there I cant say enough about the place. If you were interested I can even help you attend a 4 day class at a substantialy reduced cost over the current $2K price.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....
scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Postby edzz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Not to offend however please look here. http://networketiquette.net/core_rules_do_not_use_all_caps.html
Also in the U.S. the dollar sign ($) precedes the numbers.

To answer your question only you can decide the best approach for you. For many its a better idea to buy a prebuilt rifle and upgrade it over time.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
edzz
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: CDA, ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Postby albin25 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Not to offend however please look here. http://networketiquette.net/core_rules_ ... _caps.html
Also in the U.S. the dollar sign ($) precedes the numbers.

Please, would you mind using some punctuation as well ? Us old geezers get a little light headed without pausing for a breath every now and then.
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.
albin25
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader

City, State: Lewiston, Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86
Next Firearm: PX4 or Cougar

Postby MOSINMAN1332 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 pm

I appologize for the caps. At my work we only use caps and it didn't even dawn on me that it was on..lol But back to topic at hand, I also agree that any component on a firearm that isnt immediately aiding in your performance in therefore hindering it. Should i go with a composite or billet lower? Iv'e heard mixed reviews and curious if one actually out prefromed another or if it was just personal opinion.

I had a guy offer me a bushmaster BMC for $700.00 its naked but complete, comes with ammo and tactical bag.. In your opinion should i start with this platform, or pay full retail for a unscratched ALL-DSA with nothing... Opinions?
MOSINMAN1332

Postby scrappy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 am

It would seem you already have your mind made up and are simply looking for some support for your decision.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....
scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Postby JasonH » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 am

First off you need to figure out exactly what you plan on doing. 3 gun and a " go to" gun are going to be completely different rifles.

3 gun and dependablilty can also be different rifles.

Poly lowers are getting better, but they still have a few issues that need to be worked out.
Billet, looks nice but really offers no advantage, for the average shooter, over forged ( this is jusy my opinion)

I would strongly engourage you to do a little research and some testing, there are several variables in the AR-15 market that need to be looked at before commiting to buying one!

There is nothing wrong with building your own, or buying two complete halves and pinning them together, or just buying a complete rifle!

Impulse buying a black rifle is normally followed by regret, as an example, you will find something better for less a day or 2 after buying.

There are a great many posts in the "Black Rifle" section of this forum and they migh help you find some the information that you may need.

There are also many educated members of this forum that can help.

Feel free to PM me if you have some questions, if I cant answer them I am sure I know a few that can

-Cheeto
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door to the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

-John R. Cash
JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: Spokane Valley
Next Firearm: M1 Carbine
SGT Supporter: Yes

Postby GreyGoose » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Pretty subjective Q, however I will just say I believe all things being equal, ie; gas system is appropriate for the length of barrel, and you have purchased a MILSPEC lower and upper receiver from a reputable manufacturer, you maintain a clean and properly lubricated firearm...

The one thing you can do to ensure reliability and long life of the AR/M4 rifle platform is to install a full auto or enhanced, shot peened, 100% magnetically inspected BCG with a black (not blue) extractor spring, it being proerly staked, etc etc...

You can certainly build a very high quality, reliable AR... for a reasonable amount of money.

If you choose to buy a complete rifle, I have had no issues to speak of with the following:

LMT
LWRC
Noveske
BCM
Seekins

Good luck and congrats on your new rifle whatever it may be... ;-)

Let us know what you choose to do and how it turns out!
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
GreyGoose
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: Lakeview
Favorite Firearm: All of 'em

Postby nivlak » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Just go to walmart or anywhere and pick up a smith and Wesson m&p 15. Should do whatever you need. For basic shooting.

But since you want a 3-gun rifle I would spend the money and get a Rainer Arms RUC-15. Great gun. But like said above Seekins, KAC, Noveske, LMT, LWRC. Are all top notch go to systems.
nivlak
Serious Gun Trader

Favorite Firearm: It goes BANG
Next Firearm: HK 45C

Postby GreyGoose » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:24 pm

After thinking about it, and depending on your aptitude for things, I would almost say go ahead and build one, then you will "get it" and know why it goes bang. ;-)
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
GreyGoose
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: Lakeview
Favorite Firearm: All of 'em

Postby UpInIdaho » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm

GreyGoose wrote:After thinking about it, and depending on your aptitude for things, I would almost say go ahead and build one, then you will "get it" and know why it goes bang. ;-)

Or possibly, and more importantly...why it doesn't.

;)
UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: CDA
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Postby marklar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Billet>forged. Id stay away from the stuff you get at walmart like Bushmaster and DPMS (Dont Purchase My Sh*t), especially after the gun grabber scare they started producing like crazy and quality control went out the window. I havent really heard anything bad about the S&W m&ps but you get what you pay for. Spend the money and get a good rifle. Buy it right or buy it twice. Buying in pieces is fun because you get to learn how the rifle works and goes together. Area 53 makes some great billet lowers and their out of Colbert. And as far as AR10 or AR15, AR10s have a tendency to have more proprietary parts so their a little more difficult to build, plus when the AR10 first came out it failed miserably because it couldnt handle the pressure of a 308 round; granted, different companies have improved the design but if youre going with an AR style platform id stick with 5.56. Just my opinion but there are much better platforms out there if youre looking for a 308.
marklar

Favorite Firearm: my AR 15

Postby UpInIdaho » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:33 pm

marklar wrote:And as far as AR10 or AR15, AR10s have a tendency to have more proprietary parts so their a little more difficult to build, plus when the AR10 first came out it failed miserably because it couldnt handle the pressure of a 308 round; granted, different companies have improved the design but if youre going with an AR style platform id stick with 5.56. Just my opinion but there are much better platforms out there if youre looking for a 308.

Ahhhh....... not zackly.....

First, military 7.62 and 5.56 ammunition operate at very similar pressures.

The problems with the early and prototype AR10's, (1950's!), had to do with an experimental composite barrel, and then various quality control issues. It had nothing to do with the basic design being incapable of withstanding 7.62 pressures. Early and prototype 5.56 AR's that came later, also had issues. Production AR10's made in the 1950's and 60's were purchased by several countries, and some stayed in service for close to 30 years.

Today's improved 7.62/.308 AR weapon systems are quite viable. The US military has bought many of them, and will be buying more.

You are correct that there is less standardization in parts, so far with 7.62 AR's, but that's becoming less of a problem every day. If someone wants to build a 30 cal AR, there are lots of compatible choices now. But I would certainly suggest a 5.56 gun for someone's first build, unless they are specifically trying to build a gun for hunting larger game.
UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: CDA
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Postby SnowMan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

Since you have no AR experience, just go buy one. The only advice i can give, is stick with a major brand name. You can get good deals on S&W, Ruger, DPMS etc. Buy some ammo, go shooting and have fun. In six months if you get bored with it, you won't lose as much money when you sell it.
SnowMan

Postby ghillieinthemist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 am

..........if you build it they will come. :D
Do or do not there is no try.
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Postby edzz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 am

As the originator of this thread has not logged in since August of 2015 it would be interesting if he has yet made his decision on building vs buying. :lol:

Beware of zombie threads. :twisted:
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
edzz
SGT Premium Supporter

City, State: CDA, ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

SGT Sponsor:

-SGT Sponsor-

Return to Black Rifle Talk