ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: EMP stuck in the hospital

Post by ron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 pm

roach wrote:Ok....I'm officially ruling this a magazine related issue. The more I seem to work rounds thru the mags manually (unloading the full mag by racking the slide 9 times), the better they seem to get.
The mag I usually keep loaded in the case never caused a malfunction. #2 and 3 saw little use and gave me the most malfunctions. So im thinking the springs need to be broken in a bit more. I'll keep those two loaded in the case for a few days then see how they do. I just don't want to ship this back unless its absolutely needed. I'll keep you all updated.
1. Get a wilson mag for it.
2. if that doesn't fix it, take it to RLHas at Firearms refinishing. 1615 E Holyoke #2 Phone: (509) 487-4145 Hours: · 8:00 am – 6:00 pm

EDIT: I forgot, Wilson doesn't make mags for these guns which is too bad becausewith any auto, it's important to eliminate the magazine as the source of the problem before you go any further. I still think Rick could figure it out, though.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

shays85
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1991A1
Next Firearm: .22-250

Post by shays85 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Have you cleaned and lubed the mags at all? Can you see any dimensional differences in the mags loaded and unloaded? Steel mags can get bent and the angle of the round can change due to the steel being bent in or out.

roach
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Too hard to decide
Next Firearm: PPK/s

Post by roach » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 am

After leaving the mags loaded for 2 weeks.....I've had no malfunctions so far. Found some metal shavings in the slide bottom I cleaned out after working the slide a few hundred times lol. Going to test it out again today.
I love the smell of road-flares in the morning

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:59 am

roach wrote:After leaving the mags loaded for 2 weeks.....I've had no malfunctions so far. Found some metal shavings in the slide bottom I cleaned out after working the slide a few hundred times lol. Going to test it out again today.
Hope that solves the issue. Awaiting the range report... Thanks. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 am

If you still are having issues bring it in...
I'd like a shot at it!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:17 pm

From what you've posted it sounds like improper extractor tension and or bad fit and finish of the extractor. This is a very common problem with 1911 pattern autos.

Pull the slide, remove the barrel, using a case that is in good condition slide the base of the case up the breach face and under the extractor. if any significant resistance is felt you probably have an extractor issue. The extractor should not be lifted much at all by the case rim.

after you've built a few hundred 1911's it become easy to see however not much easier to describe in print.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

roach
Gun Trader

Post by roach » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Well it was not a mag issue. Got thru 4 rnds and the slide locked up out of battery. The smith said pretty much the same thing edzz described above. Its on it's way back to Springfeild now. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. They tried to work on it themselves and thought they had it fixed. I told him to show me by shooting 50rnds without a malfunction......they made 10rnds in and it locked up on him again. Not worried about it now that SA is going to address the problem.

Thanx for all the input folks, Roach

Dons1911
Rookie Member
City: Hayden, ID
Favorite Firearm: Ed Brown Kobra Carry

Post by Dons1911 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey Roach, I just saw this post, and thought I'd chime in. Our first EMP did the same thing around 600 rounds. After a couple of local 'smiths took a look at it one noticed that the ejector was walking up and out of the frame. They tapped it back into the frame, but a few hundred rounds later, the same problem. It went back to Springfield and they replaced the ejector and staked it to the frame. Over a thousand more rounds thru it and it runs like a champ. It's my wife favorite shooter, but we have since acquired two more. They both run great without the ejector staked. Strange huh? Good luck with yours!!!

308WINCHESTER
City: SPOKANE
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 308 SCAR

Post by 308WINCHESTER » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Very interesting thread for me to run across. I took my daughter to a 4 handgun course at front sights nevada with a brand new 9mm EMP. It crapped out on her at about 400 rounds just in time to ruin her test day. Smith on site tried to "de-bur" ....not the problem. Ejector was walking up as U described. Sent back to Springfield they drilled & staked, problem solved. My daughters luv all business ever since. 2 more 4 day courses at front sites without a bobble. I just can't begin to describe my disgust for Springfield's decision to save a buck by gluing a critical part into a $1200 piece, at the risk of our safety. If you own this pistol and want to bet your life on it I personally would recommend sending it back to have them finish building it right. If they get enough returns they might just start building them right the first time!

Dons1911
Rookie Member

Post by Dons1911 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey Roach, what's the story on your EMP?

roach
Gun Trader

Post by roach » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:40 am

It came back from SA today. They say it was the ejector after all. They pinned it and function tested it....so its suppose to be good to go now. Ill be testing it out saturday. You guys where right on with the whole ejector issue lol. Ill let u all know how it runs this weekend.

308WINCHESTER

Post by 308WINCHESTER » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:39 am

Spokane rifle club on sat? I bet it runs perfectly now that Springfield finished building it.

308WINCHESTER

Post by 308WINCHESTER » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:44 am

Has any one drilled holes in EMP MAGS for quick capacity checks? Does any one see any down side to doing this?

roach
Gun Trader

Post by roach » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Back from the range. Runs great now. Not a hiccup to be found, nice and smooth as it should be. Glad to have my baby back :)

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Great news. Thanks for the update. :D
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Dons1911
Rookie Member

Post by Dons1911 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:24 pm

Happiness!!! Glad it's working now...Thanks and enjoy it!

LongRifle
City: Deer Park
State: Wa

Post by LongRifle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 pm

I had this problem wen using Kimber mags. At least in my Rock Island the Kimber mags seemed to not have the right fit and would allow my slide to move all the way forward and never engaged the slide release. Don't know what mags or pistol you're using but hope it helps.
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt