CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Ephrata
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Colt Commander

Shock Buffers

Post by CSMRET » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 pm

OK-- here we go. One of my 45's came with shock buffer (recoil buffer?) installed. I have read about them and am curious what all you experts think about them...
I asked a feller at one of the gun shows (he was selling 45 barrels and other accessories) I asked him as to what the purpose of them. He started talking down to me about 45's like I shouldn't own one... (maybe I shouldn't have said it was a Para P12--dunno). hmmmm Never did answer me as to purpose.

Also, once one is installed doesn't that increase the spring tension on the recoil spring? (I do know that when I grind valves, by shimming the valve springs, that is one way to increase seat pressure)

So, then that opens up the question of different recoil spring tensions.... With a recoil buffer installed I would think that a different spring should be installed also....

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm sitting back and awaiting..... 8-)

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Re: Shock Buffers

Post by Spectre_USA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm sorry, but I am unfamiliar term "recoil buffer."

Is it like a recoil spring guide with some kind of spring inside of it or something?

Or is it something that mellows the slide in some manner?

Maybe exclusive to Para?

I don't mean to answer your questions with questions, but yours intrigues me, as I have only gotten into 1911's in the last decade or so...

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by jr1982 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 pm

When I bought my guncrafter no name 1911 it came with one installed. With the buffer installed, the slide could not be sling-shotted into battery, you had to use the slide release. I took it off because of that.

I honestly can't imagine that the buffer is going to increase the tension enough to affect reliability.

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by CSMRET » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:11 pm

They're little plastic/urethane doo dads that are installed against the recoil spring and recoil spring guide.. Here's some links to illustrate..... 8-)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... guwpe1.jpg

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-R ... uctinfo/2B

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by CSMRET » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Spectre_USA wrote:I'm sorry, but I am unfamiliar term "recoil buffer."

Is it like a recoil spring guide with some kind of spring inside of it or something?

Or is it something that mellows the slide in some manner?

Maybe exclusive to Para?

I don't mean to answer your questions with questions, but yours intrigues me, as I have only gotten into 1911's in the last decade or so...
I guess it's supposed to lessen the shock of the "nasty" 45 recoil. (remember 20-30 years ago when 45's were too "severe" to shoot and the 9MM rage took off??).

And the only reason I mentioned Para is that some 1911 people look down on them.... :lol: (I like them and have had good luck with them)

And, out of 3 Para so far, only one has had a shock buffer installed. It does make the slide a lot hard to pull....

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I've seen these but have not used them (I don't shoot hot loads). Wilson Combat says that they are for a full sized 5'' 1911 that is shooting hot loads. Don't see how they could hurt anything to have them installed on a 5" model. Smaller models may not cycle correctly. :)
The SHOK-BUFF® prevents the slide from battering the frame during recoil by sandwiching a 1/10" thick poly fiber buffer between the slide and frame contact areas. When you are shooting high performance loads in your 1911 style pistol, you want the extra protection that the original SHOK-BUFF® provides. One "Imitations" brand on the market claims they are better because their buffer lasts a little longer. The object of the frame to slide buffer is to protect the pistol from wear, if the buffer is not soft enough to take the damage instead of the pistol what have you accomplished? We feel the original SHOK-BUFF® is the optimum balance between shock absorption and longevity. Easily replaceable after absorbing up to 1,000 rounds of repeated firings, the SHOK-BUFF® slides over the recoil spring guide between guide and spring. Why take a chance on an inferior die stamped copy when you can have the original injection molded SHOK-BUFF®? With over 30 years of competition and street proven experience and hundreds of thousands sold, the original SHOK-BUFF® is still the best. Don't be fooled by imitation products, current production Wilson SHOK-BUFF® buffers are royal blue and bear the SHOK-BUFF® name.

NOTE: SHOK-BUFF® buffers are recommended for full-size (5" barrel) 1911's only. Due to space constraints, we do not recommend their use in compact (less than 5" barrel) 1911's.
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:26 pm

I have seen pics of Shok Buffs that have come apart inside a gun, but who knows how long they had been in there.

The best bang you will get for the buck in terms of reducing felt recoil, and delaying the slide a fraction of a fraction of a second is a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop. Cheap to buy, easy to fit. You may or may not notice it on a 45.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Most of the shock buffers are intended to reduce the ware on the gun not lessen felt recoil. Personally I've never bothered with them. However a lot of competitive shooters have the opinion that they extend their pistols life.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by CSMRET » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:54 pm

bladebum wrote:I've seen these but have not used them (I don't shoot hot loads). Wilson Combat says that they are for a full sized 5'' 1911 that is shooting hot loads. Don't see how they could hurt anything to have them installed on a 5" model. Smaller models may not cycle correctly. :)
The SHOK-BUFF® prevents the slide from battering the frame during recoil by sandwiching a 1/10" thick poly fiber buffer between the slide and frame contact areas. When you are shooting high performance loads in your 1911 style pistol, you want the extra protection that the original SHOK-BUFF® provides. One "Imitations" brand on the market claims they are better because their buffer lasts a little longer. The object of the frame to slide buffer is to protect the pistol from wear, if the buffer is not soft enough to take the damage instead of the pistol what have you accomplished? We feel the original SHOK-BUFF® is the optimum balance between shock absorption and longevity. Easily replaceable after absorbing up to 1,000 rounds of repeated firings, the SHOK-BUFF® slides over the recoil spring guide between guide and spring. Why take a chance on an inferior die stamped copy when you can have the original injection molded SHOK-BUFF®? With over 30 years of competition and street proven experience and hundreds of thousands sold, the original SHOK-BUFF® is still the best. Don't be fooled by imitation products, current production Wilson SHOK-BUFF® buffers are royal blue and bear the SHOK-BUFF® name.

NOTE: SHOK-BUFF® buffers are recommended for full-size (5" barrel) 1911's only. Due to space constraints, we do not recommend their use in compact (less than 5" barrel) 1911's.
THANX BB- that's one reference I didn't find in my research--- I've been trying to figure out if they are something viable or a fad.... 8-)

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm

THANX BB- that's one reference I didn't find in my research--- I've been trying to figure out if they are something viable or a fad.... 8-)
They are a fad, and not viable though not according to people who make money selling them. Avoid them like the plague. They're unnecessary and it's just an extra something that could break apart and be bouncing around inside the gun and cause an FTF at the worst possible moment.

If the Good Lord had intended 1911's to have shock buffers He would have commanded John Moses Browning to put bull hyde washers inside the gun. But I'm pretty sure JMB would have thought it was a stupid idea no matter who suggested it. :?

As long as you have the correct recoil spring for the ammo you're using, there is NO reason for them. If something isn't broken, more often than not the worst thing you can do is try to fix it.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

BigDeeeeeeee
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hauser
Favorite Firearm: Blaser F3
Next Firearm: CZ TSO or Sig P210

Post by BigDeeeeeeee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:03 pm

I won't use them because I have had them cause premature slide lock.
Darren

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:33 am

CSMRET wrote:
bladebum wrote:I've seen these but have not used them (I don't shoot hot loads). Wilson Combat says that they are for a full sized 5'' 1911 that is shooting hot loads. Don't see how they could hurt anything to have them installed on a 5" model. Smaller models may not cycle correctly. :)

I wouldn't use these on a carry gun but they might prevent some damage/wear on a full size pistol, shooting a high volume of hotter rounds, on a target/competition gun. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 am

I've never heard anything against the Shock Buffer. The concept makes good sense!
I have seen them come apart after extensive use because like anything they can wear out over time.
If you're maintaining the pistol properly an easy inspection can determine the life left in one.
I was told these became a hot item in the Hardballing days when guys were trying to annihilate Bowling pins with their rounds.
There was a time when certain 1911 makers were using less than standard metal alloys in their frames trying to keep up production with demand.
They are a good and inexpensive insurance policy for heavy loads or +P loads and can be a butt saver in alloy framed guns.
May not be necessary in a carry piece with standard loads but if they will cause no issues I'll use one.
I've installed them in several pistols with no issues at all.
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 am

Good to hear it is, as the retired Chief says, viable.

Anything that adds longevity to an investment is a good thing, I reckon.

Good insights, thanks for them, gentlemen...

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by CSMRET » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Stopped at Firearm Finishing today when in town and had Rick (GlockDoc) take a look at my P12... He gave me the same advice that I've been reading and thinking.... Leave the Shok Buffer out and throw it in the gun bag...... ;)
The more reading I've been doing is that they should only be used on full sized 1911's (5 inch bbl).
Also, we came to the conclusion that with that 2/10" extra in there, it may not rack all the way (even tho it did) and even coil bind could come into play....

Besides, it was fun to BS and swap stories.... (he liked my P14 with a Commander length slide on it, too) 8-)

wpcb
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: kimber warrior .460
Next Firearm: all of them

Post by wpcb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:25 pm

I use them when I put my comped 460 rowland barrel in my kimber, but also swap out the 18lb recoil spring for the 22lb recoil spring. I completely agree with rlhas (rick) it is a valuable little tool, especially with the 460 rowland round (hot little bugerz) it does absorb some of the punishment of a hot load/round from the frame. My kimber warrior is a full size 5 " model

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter
City: s

Post by krob59 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 am

I tried to use these a few times and they fell apart and caused my slide to lock up when it smashed and expanded. I didn't notice any difference in recoil but I can see where it might help wear and tear. The ones I have are the blue Wilson combat buffers and they fell apart after one day at the range. I am pretty sure they were installed correctly so I don't know what the deal was there, but it did jam the slide up after it fell apart both times I tried one.

If they last 1k rnds or so I would think they would be a good thing, maybe mine were defects but I sure wouldn't want to change them every 100 rnds or so.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
--Clint Eastwood

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
--Steve Prefontaine

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:59 pm

If the good Lord had wanted 1911's to have shock buffers he would have told John Moses Browning that they needed them. As I've always understood it, the way to keep the recoil spring guide and/or the slide from battering the frame is to use the appropriate weight recoil spring, a heavier spring for hotter loads, a lighter spring for target loads to ensure functioning.

16 pounds is standard for a 5 inch gun shooting hardball. A 17.5 pound Wolff Variable power spring works really well in my 1911 for just about anything I want to shoot out of it. 18 pounds is recommended for the commander 18.5 for officer's size compacts. These are wolff's recommendations for factory weight springs. When it comes to springs, Wolff knows what they're talking about and you can also call them up and talk to them on the phone if you have any questions.

The way I look at it, If you have enough money to buy enough ammo to wear out a gun, you can afford to buy more than one gun.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.