QPQ

Just in time for Christmas!
Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

QPQ

Post by Nathan1984 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:41 am

Anybody local that does this? Recently acquired kimber needs a touch up.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: QPQ

Post by ron » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:18 pm

I was going to ask what QPQ was, but I googled it and found this:

QPQ Liquid Nitriding (also known as salt bath nitriding) is a process for producing a thin, high-hardness case that is wear and corrosion resistant, with little or no distortion of the part during processing. Quench polish quench (QPQ) is a specialized type of nitrocarburizing case hardening that increases corrosion resistance. It is sometimes known by the brand name of Tufftride, Tenifer or Melonite.[1] Three steps are involved: nitrocarburize ("quench"), polish, and post-oxidize ("quench").

You might want to call Firearms Finishing and see if they can do it or if they know anyone locally who does this.

Otherwise here's a place I found where you can send them your slide and they'll do it and the price seems reasonable.

http://innovativegunfightersolutions.co ... slide-qpq/
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

Post by Nathan1984 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah, I had considered the specialty shops but truth be told I kinda hate the hassle associated with shipping firearms, even under the "repairs" exception. Fed ex and UPS know they have you in a vice and they charge accordingly. The kid behind the counter generally has to consult the manager while giving you "the look", and working nights I'm not into staying up all day to sign for the thing.

I'll probably just call the local guys up next week.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:15 am

Nathan1984 wrote:Yeah, I had considered the specialty shops but truth be told I kinda hate the hassle associated with shipping firearms, even under the "repairs" exception. Fed ex and UPS know they have you in a vice and they charge accordingly. The kid behind the counter generally has to consult the manager while giving you "the look", and working nights I'm not into staying up all day to sign for the thing.

So both the slide and the frame are blemished? I wonder if you field-stripped it if you could send just the slide and the frame (no barrel) as firearm parts rather than a firearm. Also with UPS after one delivery attempt when you aren't home or don't answer the door, you can arrange to pic it up at the big UPS complex off of the 90 at the Broadway exit where the flying J truck stop is.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by edzz » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:38 am

ron wrote:
Nathan1984 wrote:Yeah, I had considered the specialty shops but truth be told I kinda hate the hassle associated with shipping firearms, even under the "repairs" exception. Fed ex and UPS know they have you in a vice and they charge accordingly. The kid behind the counter generally has to consult the manager while giving you "the look", and working nights I'm not into staying up all day to sign for the thing.

So both the slide and the frame are blemished? I wonder if you field-stripped it if you could send just the slide and the frame (no barrel) as firearm parts rather than a firearm. Also with UPS after one delivery attempt when you aren't home or don't answer the door, you can arrange to pic it up at the big UPS complex off of the 90 at the Broadway exit where the flying J truck stop is.

Legally the frame IS the firearm. :o Yes you can lie about what your shipping however the business you are shipping to may not want to loose their license.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.