Just in time for Christmas!
Only_Half_Evil_
Rookie Member
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: Remington 700p
Next Firearm: Next best deal

Why do I shoot a 1911 to the left?

Post by Only_Half_Evil_ » Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 am

Used to have a Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced. Nice gun but never did shoot straight. Always shot it left. Even had others shoot it, and it always shot left. To get it to shoot straight I damn near had the rear sight adjusted half way out of the dove tail cut in the slide. I chalked it up to the dove tail not cut square. This might be unrelated but......

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago I got my Fiance a Kimber Custom Ageis II. I have the same damn problem, I shoot it consistently to the left. I do not have this problem with any other handgun. Shot my Springfield XD40 side by side with the 1911 and I can shoot that straight. But I was consistently shooting left with that 1911. I was going to adjust the sight but my Fiance can shoot it fine, which is all that really matters its her gun for CCW.

But still, why do I shoot this platform so horribly? Literally not one other handgun I own I shoot as poorly as a 1911. What gives?

Distances were at about 10 yards.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Why do I shoot a 1911 to the left?

Post by Bob R » Mon May 30, 2016 7:39 am

It sounds like it is a grip or trigger control problem.

Maybe watch this and see if you can get a tip or two and then practice the grip.

Here a another thread that may give you a clue also.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=358407

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 am

^ good video. Proper grip, stance, using the support hand correctly, locking the wrists and where the trigger finger contacts the trigger is very important. I recently found myself shooting left of center and discovered that I was wrapping my support hand (I'm a right handed shooter) too far around the front of the grip with the left palm somewhat off the grip. That was causing me to pull the pistol to the left when I tightened my grip. Usually it's a simple correction once you discover what the actual cause is. Don't guess at the problem... Have a qualified instructor watch you shoot and then work on the solution to the problem(s). Hope that helps... :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Badger
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Badger » Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 am

Practice

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Mon May 30, 2016 10:58 am

I agree with grip. You are used to a fatter grip. Finger placement on the trigger is also important. You may be pushing because you can get deeper into the trigger guard with the thinner grip size.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 pm

Lasers are great for dry fire practice, watching the dot while dry firing can give incites into what your doing wrong. Mind you the laser may not provide any clues if its its a flinch that's throwing you off your point of aim.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sightmar ... 195812.uts
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Grace_Hunter07
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 700Rem
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Grace_Hunter07 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:12 pm

To find out a lot more about your skills as a handgun shooter...Have another shooter place a 'snap-cap' in your magazine without you seeing where it is.

Now, with that done, load up and TAKE YOUR TIME shooting that mag. Remember - Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...

Have someone observe you shooting that mag.

If you are flinching when you shoot, the 'snap-cap' will make that blatantly obvious. This will be no denying you are not a flincher...

Solution, get comfortable with your weapon (dry-fire at home is best practice).

If you know (without a doubt) you don't have that problem, then I think your jerking the trigger, not squeezing it.
Pull the trigger as slow as possible, take your time on the revolution, evaluate your grouping.

GO SLOW, ITS NOT A RACE. SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST, FAST IS LETHAL.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:29 am

Grace_Hunter07 wrote:To find out a lot more about your skills as a handgun shooter...Have another shooter place a 'snap-cap' in your magazine without you seeing where it is.

Now, with that done, load up and TAKE YOUR TIME shooting that mag. Remember - Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...

Have someone observe you shooting that mag.

If you are flinching when you shoot, the 'snap-cap' will make that blatantly obvious. This will be no denying you are not a flincher...

Solution, get comfortable with your weapon (dry-fire at home is best practice).

If you know (without a doubt) you don't have that problem, then I think your jerking the trigger, not squeezing it.
Pull the trigger as slow as possible, take your time on the revolution, evaluate your grouping.

GO SLOW, ITS NOT A RACE. SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST, FAST IS LETHAL.
That's all good advice. And all of the things that you mention could be a factor but a lot probably has to do with the way the gun is being gripped and also if you have a long trigger or a short trigger, a flat mainspring housing or an arched mainspring housing. I would tend to agree with Thumpar that you are used to a wider double-stack grip and the way that you're holding the narrower grip you are pointing the gun to the left.

Some people grip the 1911 so that the gun recoils against the thumb while other try to hold it so that the grip is more in the middle of the "web" of the hand. And a lot depends on whether you press the trigger with the pad of your index finger or if the finger is curled around the trigger and this can depend on whether it's a short trigger or a long trigger. The more the grip is in the center the more the gun will be pointed straight. but if you shift the gun to the left so that you can curl your finger around the trigger more, the more it will be pointed Left.

Get somebody to let you try thier 1911 and try gripping the gun in different ways and if you can try different guns with different length triggers, that would be my advice. I think it would also be a good Idea to let the other shooter fire the gun and see if it shoots right or left for them and pay close attention to how THEY hold the gun.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:43 am

Badger wrote:Practice
Practice is indeed good, but only as long as one practices with proper technique. Trying to practice your way out of a bad habit without fully understanding what you are doing wrong is an excercise in frustration as well as a waste of ammo. Dry Fire excercise can be a great learning tool. Have someone closely watch you while you aim and fire with an empty gun. This can reveal a lot.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

racerx
SGT Premium Supporter
City: N. Spokane County
Favorite Firearm: The one in my hand
Next Firearm: H&K 416

Post by racerx » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:46 am

Natural curve? :?
THE FOURTH HORSEMEN RIDES

ALWAYS BUYING AMMO !!!
5.56- .223- .40cal- .22lr

Adapt at ALL costs...
Change WILL come for those with NO FEAR

QUESTION AUTHORITY
WE will not ask YOUR permission to exercise OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS

Thank You Veterans III%erz ForceMultiplyer

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 am

racerx wrote:Natural curve? :?
You mean ala slick willie?
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

bambam72
Gun Trader
City: Rathdrum
Favorite Firearm: All of em
Next Firearm: always looking for 1

Post by bambam72 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7J-JNSUu4
This will explain it all.. Helped me immensely..had the SAME problem

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:37 am

bambam72 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7J-JNSUu4
This will explain it all.. Helped me immensely..had the SAME problem

I wonder what happened to the guy who posted the original question? (Only_Half_Evil_ ) ? He's missing all this good advice!

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Only_Half_Evil_
Rookie Member
Favorite Firearm: Remington 700p
Next Firearm: Next best deal

Post by Only_Half_Evil_ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 pm

This is all great advice, definitely most likely me. You guys raised some points I have not even thought of yet. Looking forward to figuring this out.

The Mechanic
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: something in .46acp

Post by The Mechanic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 pm

OP, are you shooting left or right handed?

Are you using the tip of your finger or the pad of your finger?
"Kill 'em with kindness"

Do these moobs make you randy? Do they baby?!?

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Last visited: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:16 pm :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"