Lead ball
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SA 1911
Next Firearm: Black Powder

1911 upgrades

Post by Lead ball » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:19 pm

I just received my 1911 it's a para GO expert I know it's a good entry level weapon but I want to make it better were should I start barrel and bushing or sights or springs or trigger any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks

smittty1911
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cda
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: something pretty

Re: 1911 upgrades

Post by smittty1911 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:59 pm

For the most part I would leave it alone, maybe a trigger job and a ramp polish/profile if it need it. Perhaps a magwell?

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:51 pm

If you absolutely have to do something to it get a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop and install it. Then shoot the dickens out of it. After 10-12K rounds and it rattles like a Harley coming down the road (or a coffee can half full of nuts and bolts being shaken around) then take the money and the time and do what you want it to be.

It is a good gun to get started on and to shoot a lot.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 am

My 1911 is pretty much like a government issue 1911A1 except I like the flat mainspring housing and I've retained the short trigger which I like better. I don't need a rowel hammer and a upswept beavertail because I hold the gun with a thumbs-down grip and at one time many years ago I shot it one-handed. So being old school I scorn many of the modern "enhancements" and that's just me, but I do think that some of the modern enhancements are unnecessary like extended safeties and slide releases and forward slide serrations. Oh yeah, and the three holes drilled in the aluminum triggers.

I also don't like getting all wiggy with the grips. I like the checked bakelite GI issue grips. The only other modification I've done to the gun is to install a titanium firing pin and a stiffer firing pin spring and this makes the gun drop safe and this is what Ruger does with their 1911's so they don't have to go to a funky series 80 arrangement. And you know Ruger must have extensively tested this so I know that it's a very worthwhile modification for clumsy people who might drop their guns and have the hammer down on a live round, but it doesn't hurt anything either and the titanium firing pin gives you a slightly faster lock time.

I don't even like the look of slanted slide serrations in the rear where they're supposed to be so that you don't out your fingers too close to the muzzle. The bottom line is that I like the gun almost exactly the way John Moses Browning designed it except for the teeny-weeny GI sights which Colt later upgraded on their commercial Government models. And those are just my individual preferences.

But I also think that there's a tendency for people to think that the more stuff you add to a gun the better the gun becomes and another tendency these days is to think that it's the hardware that makes you a better defensive shooter not the software of your brain in terms of training and mindset. And basically I think it's better just to work with any gun as is at first and really get to know your gun and then you'll have a much better idea of what you might need to do to the gun and what you don't. Someone who is really good at shooting handguns can shoot any handgun well because you can adapt to the differences between guns and compensate for them with enough practice. In other words you can make you hand fit the gun instead of making the gun fit your hand. That's what I've been able to do with shooting a Glock that doesn't really fit my hand.

As far as the EGW flat bottom firing pin stop, I have one because it's supposed to help with reliability but I haven't noticed any rattling since all I know is that when the gun is fired it makes a really loud bang and I also have ear protection on at the time and my hearing isn't all that good anyway so it's kind of like if you turn up the stereo in your car you won't hear any rattling then either.

But I haven't really listened for the rattling so the next time I shoot it maybe I'll be able to hear it. And I know that it isn't a concern with the thing coming loose because the firing pin holds it in place.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:59 pm

ron wrote:My 1911 is pretty much like a government issue 1911A1 except I like the flat mainspring housing and I've retained the short trigger which I like better. I don't need a rowel hammer and a upswept beavertail because I hold the gun with a thumbs-down grip and at one time many years ago I shot it one-handed. So being old school I scorn many of the modern "enhancements" and that's just me, but I do think that some of the modern enhancements are unnecessary like extended safeties and slide releases and forward slide serrations. Oh yeah, and the three holes drilled in the aluminum triggers.

I also don't like getting all wiggy with the grips. I like the checked bakelite GI issue grips. The only other modification I've done to the gun is to install a titanium firing pin and a stiffer firing pin spring and this makes the gun drop safe and this is what Ruger does with their 1911's so they don't have to go to a funky series 80 arrangement. And you know Ruger must have extensively tested this so I know that it's a very worthwhile modification for clumsy people who might drop their guns and have the hammer down on a live round, but it doesn't hurt anything either and the titanium firing pin gives you a slightly faster lock time.

I don't even like the look of slanted slide serrations in the rear where they're supposed to be so that you don't out your fingers too close to the muzzle. The bottom line is that I like the gun almost exactly the way John Moses Browning designed it except for the teeny-weeny GI sights which Colt later upgraded on their commercial Government models. And those are just my individual preferences.

But I also think that there's a tendency for people to think that the more stuff you add to a gun the better the gun becomes and another tendency these days is to think that it's the hardware that makes you a better defensive shooter not the software of your brain in terms of training and mindset. And basically I think it's better just to work with any gun as is at first and really get to know your gun and then you'll have a much better idea of what you might need to do to the gun and what you don't. Someone who is really good at shooting handguns can shoot any handgun well because you can adapt to the differences between guns and compensate for them with enough practice. In other words you can make you hand fit the gun instead of making the gun fit your hand. That's what I've been able to do with shooting a Glock that doesn't really fit my hand.

As far as the EGW flat bottom firing pin stop, I have one because it's supposed to help with reliability but I haven't noticed any rattling since all I know is that when the gun is fired it makes a really loud bang and I also have ear protection on at the time and my hearing isn't all that good anyway so it's kind of like if you turn up the stereo in your car you won't hear any rattling then either.

But I haven't really listened for the rattling so the next time I shoot it maybe I'll be able to hear it. And I know that it isn't a concern with the thing coming loose because the firing pin holds it in place.

Well said :mrgreen:

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Ephrata
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Colt Commander

Post by CSMRET » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:42 am

Well said :mrgreen:[/quote]

YUP---- spend your money on ammo and good ear protection---- shoot the heck out of it until it is second nature----one doesn't need all the fancy fad things...... 8-)