Just in time for Christmas!
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

I'm not a huge 1911 fan but...

Post by ghillieinthemist » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm

a guy want to trade for my ar15 I've got about 715.00 in to it. I build them. a lot of them. do you think a sig target in stainless is a good to trade for? It's still "new never been fired" I've heard that before but say it is. I'd just like some opinions from someone who knows more about 1911's than me. I had one. fired a box of fifty though it and traded it for a nine mm. That was the only 1911 I had I think it was a RIA tactial. Tatcical piece of crap. That is just the opinion of of a guy who has had just the one experience with a 1911.
Do or do not there is no try.

The Mechanic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: something in .46acp

Re: I'm not a huge 1911 fan but...

Post by The Mechanic » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

Sig has had a few different target models. If it has the skeletonized hammer, adjustable rear sight, fiber optic front sight and is stainless...it is certainly a worthwhile trade. They're really solid 1911s.
"Kill 'em with kindness"

Do these moobs make you randy? Do they baby?!?

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:26 am

If you have less than $800 into the AR, this is a sweet deal since the Sig 1911's sell for about a grand. And as far as top quality 1911's you couldn't do much better than a SIG. The only thing I don't like about them is they have a series 80 firing pin block and that means that it might need a trigger job if you're as fussy about triggers as I am, but you'll have to decide if you like the trigger just the way it is after actually firing the gun.

The whole advantage to a 1911 is that when carried cocked and locked they have the best trigger pull of any pistol for that all-important first shot, and subsequent shots are just as good. That's why 1911's do so well in shooting competitions. The Sig Target model is very likely an amazingly accurate gun.

But the good news is we have someone here in Spokane who is a certified Glock and Smith and Wesson armorer and he knows 1911's just as well and he is especially skilled at re-working and improving triggers on any type of firearm. I'm talking about Rick Hastings known as RLHas on this forum. I had him do a trigger job on a Browning Hi-power and that gun has a trigger mechanism that is not as simple or straightforward as the 1911 but he was able to achieve perfection with it. But as I said, you'll need to fire the gun first and see how good the Sig factory trigger is and you might like it just the way it is. I think if you're able to get this gun you're going to become a huge fan of the 1911.

Rick Hastings AKA the Glock Doc
Firearm Finishing Inc.
Address: 1615 E Holyoke Ave, Spokane, WA 99217
Phone: (509) 487-4145
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-6pm Sat 9am-5pm

Does the gun look like this?

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Sig makes a good line of 1911s. If your wanting to give the 1911 platform another try, this is a good opportunity for that.
If it where me, I would do it because that is a worthwhile trade
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 pm

got it. thanks for your time guys.
Do or do not there is no try.