Just in time for Christmas!
Avtech78
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: STI 1911
Next Firearm: STI 2011

Seeking Advice for sub compact 1911

Post by Avtech78 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Hello fellow boarders!

I recently purchased a Browning 1911 .22LR 3.6" barrel. I am seeking a pocket holster (this is for my wife for purse). Any suggestions? Also, best penetrating ammo (self defense rounds). Pls don't lecture me on a .22 for SD, you don't know my wife's physicial limitations and I won't go into it here. Thank you. Finally, is a laser sight available for this size of handgun?

Appreciate your wisdom and input.

Best regards!

Avtech78
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

USCCA member
NRA Benefactor
Christian by Grace

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Seeking Advice for sub compact 1911

Post by ron » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:45 pm

There aren't many holster options for this gun particularly pocket holsters meant to secure a gun when carried in a pocket or a purse. However ther are a number of women's purses that are meant to secure and conceal a gun. and doing a little research what I found is that the one company that offrs the the greatest number of choices is one called Gun Tote'n Mamas and they are available from Cabelas.

I won't lecture you on 22 handguns for self defense because any gun is better than no gun. But on the other hand even the very best defensive hand gun (if there was such a thing) is just as bad or even worse than no gun if you don't know how to shoot it and you don't know gun safety which means you have to always be aware of where your gun is pointed and you must keep your finger out of the trigger guard at all times until your sights are on target and you must be completely familiar with your firearm.

So that means practice, practice, practice, and more practice. Invest in as much 22 long rifle ammo as you can find and the best defensive ammo in 22 long rifle is 40 grain solids and the only hollowpoints I'd recommend are the CCI velocitors because they weigh a full 40 grains. But none of the hollowpoints will do much when their velocities are reduced from 1200 fps out of a rifle to 900 fps out of a pistol, so bullet weight is your friend. And since you can't expect a "one shot stop", you have to be prepared to keep firing until the threat is neutralized. And being prepared is critical. Mental preparedness and mindset is far more important than what gun you carry.

Also get some snap caps and chamber one of them and then with the hammer cocked, lock the slide and have your wife carry it for a few days maybe even for a week, just like that.

It's important to do this with a snap cap in the chamber to determine if the gun is safe to be carried cocked and locked which is how it should be carried. And that's another thing that needs to be practiced, leaning to instinctively swipe the safety off as you bring the gun to bear on your target and no sooner. and forget about lasers. Keep it simple and learn to hit what you aim at with the sights on the gun. Practice, practice, practice, and more practice will allow you to do that, and a hit with a 22 is way better than a miss with a 45.

https://guntotenmamas.com/collections/handbags

https://www.gunhandbags.com/

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/ccw-purses ... rl-satchel
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.