Commander Recoil Spring Weight

Just in time for Christmas!
LongRifle
City: Deer Park
State: Wa

Commander Recoil Spring Weight

Post by LongRifle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I have owned this particular commander for almost a year know and replaced the factory dual spring with a Wilson Combat flatwire spring and guide rod. I believe the spring I ordered was about a 22lb deal and I think the original was about the same weight spring. I am curious why commanders seem to all have higher spring weights than the full size and how low of a weight can you go and keep it functional? This commander does have an aluminum frame so I'm guessing that might have something to do with it??
The gun functions flawlessly but the slide can be difficult to pull all the way back by hand.
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

Re: Commander Recoil Spring Weight

Post by Nathan1984 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm

It's a heavier spring because it's a lighter slide. The recoil spring essentially has two functions, 1. It returns the slide to battery, assisting with stripping the next round off the magazine. 2. Softens the blow to the frame when the slide reaches full rear position.

So, the same amount of power is being generated by the .45, only it's pushing an inch less metal than a full sized government model. The heavier spring softens the blow between the frame and slide.

Now, as far as how low you can go. That's largely dependent on the load you're shooting. If you're using factory ammo, should probably stick to the factory spring. If you are having problems racking the slide, it may be technique. Get the web of your shooting hand as high as you can on the grip. From there you have a couple different options, 1. Start with both elbows bent at a 90 degree angle, push out with your strong hand while simultaneously pulling with your support hand, at the end of that you should generate enough force that when you reach the fully rear position your support hand thumps you mid chest. 2. (More difficult) fully extend your strong hand until your elbow locks out, then pull the slide with your support hand, again your support hand should thump you mid chest upon reaching full rear.

LongRifle
City: Deer Park
State: Wa

Post by LongRifle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Thank you for the detailed information.
I guess saying the slide was difficult to pull back was incorrect rather it required noticeably more force to do so than my other full length 1911s.
I guess I was asking if the 22lb spring was an overly heavy spring for that pistol but from your information I conclude that it is fairly standard. I will have to try some lighter springs with my handloads in the future.
Thank you
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt

CDAID
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by CDAID » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 am

Standard spring rate for a commander is 18lbs. Your spring is too heavy. Check Wolf gun springs.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by edzz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Commander
less reciprocating mass
shorter stroke
shorter spring
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.