Big catfish

Discuss Fishing and all things fish related...
airborneranger79
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post falls
Favorite Firearm: Weatherby mark 5
Next Firearm: Double barrel rifle

Big catfish

Post by airborneranger79 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I moved here from Oklahoma and love targeting big cats, where around here is a good place

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Big catfish

Post by Bob R » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 pm

I also used to fish for cats in Oklahoma, and on the Colorado river in CA when stationed there. I think, but haven't been able to make sure, that the biggest cats in the area are down on the Snake River. About the only cats you are going to find in WA is channel cats or smaller bullheads. I thought they had stocked channel cats in Sprague Lake, but I am not positive.

I have all but given up on fresh water fishing since moving here. I have no desire to catch trout. But, I do want to find some burbot fishing and give them a try.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:05 pm

This isnt local but it seemed appropritate to share. Now this is a girl I admire!
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursio ... d-catfish/
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Colts

Post by jimmy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:36 am

Bob R wrote:I also used to fish for cats in Oklahoma, and on the Colorado river in CA when stationed there. I think, but haven't been able to make sure, that the biggest cats in the area are down on the Snake River. About the only cats you are going to find in WA is channel cats or smaller bullheads. I thought they had stocked channel cats in Sprague Lake, but I am not positive.

I have all but given up on fresh water fishing since moving here. I have no desire to catch trout. But, I do want to find some burbot fishing and give them a try.

bob
Bead lake has Burbot. I use to fish Bead for the nice Brooks and saw a lot of people fish and catch those crazy things! :)

Waterdog
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 50 cal. Knight
Next Firearm: One i dont have...

Post by Waterdog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Bob R wrote:I also used to fish for cats in Oklahoma, and on the Colorado river in CA when stationed there. I think, but haven't been able to make sure, that the biggest cats in the area are down on the Snake River. About the only cats you are going to find in WA is channel cats or smaller bullheads. I thought they had stocked channel cats in Sprague Lake, but I am not positive.

bob
Fort Spokane is also a good place for Burbot. my cousin and
his boy catch several every year. (mostly at night)

Mike35760
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: Ruger 357
Next Firearm: Ruger 10/22breakdown

Post by Mike35760 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Probably wont find anything even close to Oklahoma cat fishing this side of the rockies. Sad but true....
That feeling of having hooked the bottom..... until the bottom starts going deeper....

huntelkhard
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: Tikka T3 Lite 22-250
Next Firearm: One I can buy ammo

Post by huntelkhard » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:08 pm

In the spring you can catch big burbot ( fresh water lings) at the mouth of the Colville, Kettle and Hunters creek.. When the suckers are spawning and better at night, catch a sucker and use as cut bait... As for catfish, Polouse river at the snake.. and Walla Walla river at Walula are my favorites.. I have caught lots at lower granite damn to.
If your not living on the EDGE, your taking up to much SPACE!

You cant eat the horns, on the other hand back straps look like crap on the wall!!

sampson01
Favorite Firearm: 40
Next Firearm: Kimber

Re:

Post by sampson01 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

huntelkhard wrote:In the spring you can catch big burbot ( fresh water lings) at the mouth of the Colville, Kettle and Hunters creek.. When the suckers are spawning and better at night, catch a sucker and use as cut bait... As for catfish, Polouse river at the snake.. and Walla Walla river at Walula are my favorites.. I have caught lots at lower granite damn to.
Yes, Catfish on the Walla Walla and Palouse river at the Snake are great places to catch Catfish

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 pm

If you are just looking for catch and release Long Lake is a good place. There are suckers and carp out there plus some bass if you can catch them. I like to throw a line out when the kids and wife are playing in the water. I caught a sucker that was probably 7 or so pounds last year.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

Post by EWU92 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Lower granite Damn below that is, you can catch a boat full of them in the summer months. Go South to Pullman then take the Almota cut off rather than going down to Wawaii.

If you want steelhead go to Wawaii and fish off the jetties.
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 pm

EWU92 wrote:Lower granite Damn below that is, you can catch a boat full of them in the summer months. Go South to Pullman then take the Almota cut off rather than going down to Wawaii.

If you want steelhead go to Wawaii and fish off the jetties.
Ty, you and I have fished some of the same waters. Used to go there (lower granite) for sturgeon. Inadvertently caught a 12lb chinook there from the bank in the mid 90's.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 pm

From reviews Lake Bryan on the Snake River is supposedly picking up. I was there a few weeks ago and caught a decent size channel over by Central Ferry.

Won't be long until sturgeons start to hit.
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

JeremyD
Site Owner
City: Suncrest
Favorite Firearm: AR's
Next Firearm: Gold ones!!

Post by JeremyD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 am

I pulled a 15lb, a 12lb, and 3 7lb channel cats out of the Palouse last year.

We launch at Lyons Ferry and boat into the Palouse channel and fish against the rock walls (lots of birds live in the rocks hence, lots of food.)and have had really good luck in the early spring before it gets too hot.

The channel has some very shallow and narrow spots so, An aluminum boat is a good idea :)

Good luck and have fun :)

JD
Veritatem Cognoscere

larry509
SGT Premium Supporter
City: cheney
Favorite Firearm: browning bbl
Next Firearm: smith 57

Post by larry509 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:14 am

Well years back we us to catch flat heads on the walla walla river if that helps

T-Bone
City: Rockford,WA
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30 Cowboy
Next Firearm: Ithaca M37 16ga

Post by T-Bone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:43 pm

The lower Yakima River has large channel catfish, as well.