Bowfishing

Discuss Fishing and all things fish related...
2shanesqball
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Pump 12ga
Next Firearm: Whatever runs

Bowfishing

Post by 2shanesqball » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Where's the best place for bow fishing near Spokane? I know probably the best area is over by Moses Lake, but I don't want to go all the way out there just to shoot some carp.
Take me down to New York City where the yorks are new and the city is city.

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Bowfishing

Post by Masonryman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:18 pm

2shanesqball wrote:Where's the best place for bow fishing near Spokane? I know probably the best area is over by Moses Lake, but I don't want to go all the way out there just to shoot some carp.

Long Lake is full of Carp.

MM
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Masonryman wrote:
2shanesqball wrote:Where's the best place for bow fishing near Spokane? I know probably the best area is over by Moses Lake, but I don't want to go all the way out there just to shoot some carp.

Long Lake is full of Carp.

MM
That is what I was going to suggest too. I am not sure how many there are now after a lot died off a few years back but there still should be many.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 am

Years ago I used to spear fish for carp on Newman Lake. Don't know if they have been poisoned off or not. I not very familiar with the lake but we would wade in shallow water near a long earthen dike. Can't remember exactly as I am sure there was a small amount of beer involved.

morrows1
City: Clayton, Wa
Favorite Firearm: Bersa
Next Firearm: Glock

Post by morrows1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:58 am

Long Lake still has plenty of Carp, they has 2 distinct breeding seasons, one in the Spring and one in the Fall. That is the best time to go because they stay at the surface. The Snake River is great as well, Carp are much bigger and faster down there makes a little more of a challenge.

-Spencer

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator
Favorite Firearm: Colts

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:21 am

Sprauge use to be my favorite until they killed it off. Long lake is great and has some monsters. Just watch out for accidentally shooting pike, they are sometimes in the mix of madness. I usually hide my bows when launching at 9 mile resort to avoid a ear full of "don't shoot around here!, they wash up on our swimming beach!!" :D

Wigeon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Beretta AL 390
Next Firearm: Ruger 10/22 tactical

Post by Wigeon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:46 pm

What are the approximate date ranges of the best times to try this at long lake? Also where is the best place to launch and which direction should you head from there? Thanks all :)
Kill em and grill em, whack em and stack em

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:15 pm

jimmy wrote:Sprauge use to be my favorite until they killed it off. Long lake is great and has some monsters. Just watch out for accidentally shooting pike, they are sometimes in the mix of madness. I usually hide my bows when launching at 9 mile resort to avoid a ear full of "don't shoot around here!, they wash up on our swimming beach!!" :D
They don't wash up on the beach if you take them or run a knife up there gut so they sink. Not to bad smoked either. ;)
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:05 am

Wigeon wrote:What are the approximate date ranges of the best times to try this at long lake? Also where is the best place to launch and which direction should you head from there? Thanks all :)
You can launch at the Nine Mile Resort. I have a yearly WA park pass so I don't need a discover pass or pay ramp/parking fees. There is a weed patch just out from there or you can go west a couple miles where there is a large lillypad patch. I have never bowfished but will sometimes throw a line out when the kids are playing.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

morrows1
City: Clayton, Wa
Favorite Firearm: Bersa
Next Firearm: Glock

Post by morrows1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:21 am

Wigeon wrote:What are the approximate date ranges of the best times to try this at long lake? Also where is the best place to launch and which direction should you head from there? Thanks all :)

From what i noticed, its not really about date ranges every year it has been different that I have experienced. Its usually when the water warms up in the spring and right before the weather drops off in the Fall. I have never seen it consistent. Ive seen it be anywhere from April to mid June as far as a range. Mating usually lasts 1.5 weeks. Heavy when they are just coming into it and then it slows and picks up the last few days.

But like stated above, find a place with some lillies that is not to deep. They will go into water about a foot deep at Long Lake.

I personally would never eat a carp again, it was terrible. they taste like bad fish and mud.

Spencer

480 Ruger
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: M1A
Next Firearm: Socom 2

Post by 480 Ruger » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:58 pm

The back end of Newman has plenty,
Rest easy, sleep well my brothers
Know the line has held,your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace and farewell