Roosevelt

Discuss Fishing and all things fish related...
asmith
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Davenport, WA
Favorite Firearm: .22WMR Bolt action
Next Firearm: ANY

Roosevelt

Post by asmith » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Finally had a chance to get the new boat out on a fishing trip today. Myself and a buddy went out this morning and had a blast learning this new thing called trolling, lol. I grew up fishing creeks, rivers and the banks of lakes. But man, it's all different from a boat. Pretty fun trying to figure out this trolling thing. Different speeds, different depths, different presentations, different color lures, different dodgers/flashers, etc. Man its a lot to learn, but it's fun. Didnt catch any fish but learned a few things, mostly about my boat. Will be taking the family out tomorrow, more for exploring than fishing, but still time on the water.

ImageImageImage
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Re: Roosevelt

Post by BC38 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Yeah, trolling is good if you're after trout.
Me, I prefer to anchor and jig for walleye.
Next to a good big white meat walleye fillet, trout tastes like A gob of mud full of bones...
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

asmith
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by asmith » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:39 pm

BC38 wrote:Yeah, trolling is good if you're after trout.
Next to a good big white meat walleye fillet, trout tastes like A gob of mud full of bones...
Actually, we were after kokes. Trout would have been an added bonus. I'll learn the walley later in the spring and summer.

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:08 pm

asmith wrote:
Actually, we were after kokes. Trout would have been an added bonus. I'll learn the walley later in the spring and summer.
Kokes? Kokanee? I know they consider them salmon, but aren't those pretty much just big trout? ;)
I've always heard it said that a trout is just a land-locked species of salmon...
FWIW, walleye fillets are like a better, less-fishy, fresh-water cod fillets. I have yet to taste a fish that I liked better - including salmon.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

asmith
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by asmith » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Kokes, yes kokanee, are a hell of a lot better than trout. I do like walleye, but I like kokes even better. And to me, crappie and perch are better than walleye. But the best tasting fresh water fish is hands down the burbot!!

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:37 pm

asmith wrote:Kokes, yes kokanee, are a hell of a lot better than trout. I do like walleye, but I like kokes even better. And to me, crappie and perch are better than walleye. But the best tasting fresh water fish is hands down the burbot!!
Never tried Kokanees, or burbot, though I've eaten a fair amount of 3 or 5 kinds of trout, and of course salmon (Kings, coppers etc.).
If Kokanee is anything like either of them, it wouldn't rank anywhere near the top of my list. I'm not that crazy about any of the pink fleshed species I've tried. They're OK, just not my favorites.
Growing up in Missouri, I've probably caught and eaten my own weight in crappie and perch, and personally I like walleye way WAY better than either one. But to each his own.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:22 am

BC38 wrote:
asmith wrote:
Kokes? Kokanee? I know they consider them salmon, but aren't those pretty much just big trout? ;)
I've always heard it said that a trout is just a land-locked species of salmon...
FWIW, walleye fillets are like a better, less-fishy, fresh-water cod fillets. I have yet to taste a fish that I liked better - including salmon.
Salmon and trout are from the same family, but are different species. They will not interbreed. The difference between the Kokanees being caught and salmon proper is the same as the difference between rainbows and steelhead. That being one is simply a landlocked variant of an otherwise ocean going species. Unlike salmon, trout, including steelhead , live to spawn multiple times, where Pacific salmon spawn and die. The Atlantic salmon is an exception to this.
Lake Couer DAlene is full of chinook salmon as well. The Kokanee is different variety. If you go to some of the creeks feeding this or Hayden lakes in the fall you can see pretty bright red Kokanee salmon moving upstream to spawn.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Rigger28
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane/Metaline
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Ruger M77 .375 Ruger
Next Firearm: .410 SxS

Post by Rigger28 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:26 am

+1,000,000

Trout is nasty as heck. It always pisses me off how the state biologists keep killing off all the spiny rays in lakes around Spokane so they can plant trout..............to me, trout are the liberals of the water, walleye are the blue collar working class!

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:52 am

Rigger28 wrote:

+1,000,000

Trout is nasty as heck. It always pisses me off how the state biologists keep killing off all the spiny rays in lakes around Spokane so they can plant trout..............to me, trout are the liberals of the water, walleye are the blue collar working class!
I'm with you here! While I do like the taste of trout it just doesn't compare to bass or walleye or crappie or perch. They need to leave a few lakes for real fishing !!
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:43 am

I fished for walleye there as a kid. The setup was a little walking thing with 2 legs that held the line a couple feet from the lure or bait. As you drift it walks along and shakes the line. We had good luck with it.

I haven't trolled in a lake, only on the ocean. My boat can't go slow enough to troll on a lake and there is no way I am drilling holes.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Rigger28
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane/Metaline
Favorite Firearm: Ruger M77 .375 Ruger
Next Firearm: .410 SxS

Post by Rigger28 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:17 am

thumpar wrote:I fished for walleye there as a kid. The setup was a little walking thing with 2 legs that held the line a couple feet from the lure or bait. As you drift it walks along and shakes the line. We had good luck with it.

I haven't trolled in a lake, only on the ocean. My boat can't go slow enough to troll on a lake and there is no way I am drilling holes.
That's called a bottom bouncer and it's a great technique. We always had the best luck drifting along the bank and jigging a yellow jig head with half a night crawler on it.

asmith
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by asmith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Went out again today with the family. Still no fish. Today we trolled bottom bouncers at 1mph, in front of Sandy beaches, using walley plugs tipped with worms. Eventually, I'll get it. I'm thinking of naming my boat "Fishless One".

Gleng
Serious Gun Trader
City: Grand Coulee
Favorite Firearm: Depends on the day

Post by Gleng » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:26 pm

This time of the year (cold water), Walleye fishing is pretty much a jig fishery. They don't get real active, (crankbaits & spinners), till after they spawn and the water warms up some. When jigging in cold water, they like a slower presentation, more like dragging a jig along the bottom or real close to it. As always, it's trial & error till you find out what they want.

asmith
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by asmith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Awesome, thanks for the advice Gleng. But as you said, it's all trial and error at first, and I am enjoying learning all these new things. I am having a difficult time as far as what too look for to find the fish though. As you stated, this time of year is good for jigging, but where do you jig at? Do walley always hang out on Sandy bottoms, or do they suspend? Do they like structure? These are the things I just can't figure out yet, but it's still early for me too.

NORTHFORKER
Gun Trader
City: Mead
Favorite Firearm: Remington model 8
Next Firearm: unknown

Post by NORTHFORKER » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:16 pm

asmith: Keep fishing Lake Roosevelt for rainbows and kokanee. There are kokanee in there that make that fishery "World Class". (photo proof on request). While walleye are great for the table, they are the worst on the end of your line. I'll bet that you are not starving and would rather catch fish that give your gear a workout?! I have friends that have lived in the south and can't understand why people fish for and target bass, walleye, crappie etc here when they live in the salmon/trout/steelhead capital of the world. If after you catch a 4-5lb kokanee you would like some great ways to prepare them let me know. Keep trolling while you see a fiberglass boat go by you at 70mph to "somewhere better".

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Walleye mostly hover down around the bottom AFAIK.
I have to agree they aren't the most exciting fish to catch. If you hook into a 2 or 3 pounder though they can put up a decent fight.
Just speaking for my self, it isn't just about the fight & the challenge etc. I'm not starving or too poor to buy food, but I still want to catch something good for the table too! :D
I'm really practical that way. That's why I'd rather hunt deer or elk than bear or coyote! ;)
Last edited by BC38 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NORTHFORKER
Gun Trader
City: Mead
Favorite Firearm: Remington model 8
Next Firearm: unknown

Post by NORTHFORKER » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Well said BC38, hope to see guys like you out there sometime!!

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Try just drifting with the bottom bouncer.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:44 pm

thumpar wrote:Try just drifting with the bottom bouncer.
Yup. My wife and I learned how to catch them from an older Kalispel Indian couple.
Use a fish finder to locate a spot where the bottom drops off goes rapidly from shallow sandy slope to deeper water.
Once you find them, anchor and sit there and quickly pull your jig up about 12"-18" off the bottom, and then let it settle back to the bottom.
Use a brightly colored 1/8 ounce (or larger) leadhead jug with a fringed skirt in a contrasting color and 1/2 of a nightcrawler.
That's what has worked well for us.

asmith
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by asmith » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:20 pm

It was a beautiful day today on roosevelt. Went after koks, but couldn't find them. The guy I was with landed 2 decent trout, then we stopped off on the way back to the launch to try for some walleye. Landed 2 with no size using a slow death rig. They will still eat good. Will be on banks tomorrow after some more eyes