Discuss Knives and Edged Tools...
dustindood13
Gun Trader
City: Airway Heights
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: 300 sbr

EDC knife question regarding legality

Post by dustindood13 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

so I got this new folder that has a 3.4 inch blade and has a spring assisted open. is this legal in the Spokane area for carry? Im still new to the area and cant find anything on spring assisted knifes regarding there legality. any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
its a gen3 s&w black ops knife with a tanto point if that helps at all

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: EDC knife question regarding legality

Post by bladebum » Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Spring assisted is ok... Auto knives (spring blades) are not (in WA). :)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

dustindood13
Gun Trader
City: Airway Heights
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: 300 sbr

Post by dustindood13 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Awesome. Thank you very much!

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am

What I think is an interesting aspect of the WA state law is this:

" (b) Furtively carries with INTENT to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or...

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

And what I find interresting about it is how subjective, non-specific, and open to interpretation the element of INTENT is and also the interpretation of the word, "Furtive". And both these elements bring up another question, and that is, if you're carrying any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon and make no attempt to coneal it, is that legal?

Note that this statute includes pistols. This point actually has some clarity to it because it's understood that if you have a CCW, your intent is to conceal, but you're doing so legally and not "Furtively". But, just as it's legal to carry firearms openly, does that also apply to any dagger, dirk, pistol, sword, ax, baseball bat, or other dangerous weapon as well? I think the law has a lot of gaps in it and how the law is applied depends first on how well you get along with police officers and secondly how good your lawyer is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Furtively~~~~~~~~~~~

fur·tive
[fur-tiv]

adjective 1. taken, done, used, etc., surreptitiously or by stealth; secret: a furtive glance.
2. sly; shifty: a furtive manner.

Origin: 1480–90; < Latin furtīvus, equivalent to furt ( um ) theft (compare fūr thief) + -īvus -ive -in the manner of a thief.

Related forms fur·tive·ly, adverb

fur·tive·ness, noun

Synonyms 1. clandestine, covert. 2. underhand, cunning, sneaky.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Mon May 19, 2014 1:07 pm

I have been carrying blades for 35 yrs. the one thing I find is as long as you're not acing stupid or being a dumb ass you won't get hassled. Try and act tuff or do something stupid and all bets are off. Don't show off how fast you can open your knife at your local bar, restersaunt, street fair, concert or whatever and you will be ok. Don't do anything that will get a cops attention and you will be ok. Act like an ass clown and it won't matter what you are carrying or if it's legal or not.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

PapaBear
Serious Gun Trader
City: West Plains
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: AR-10

Post by PapaBear » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Torakan wrote:I have been carrying blades for 35 yrs. the one thing I find is as long as you're not acing stupid or being a dumb ass you won't get hassled. Try and act tuff or do something stupid and all bets are off. Don't show off how fast you can open your knife at your local bar, restersaunt, street fair, concert or whatever and you will be ok. Don't do anything that will get a cops attention and you will be ok. Act like an ass clown and it won't matter what you are carrying or if it's legal or not.
Very true and very well said.
Pray for the rough men and women standing guard over this great land, for without their sacrifices the wolves would surely be on the porch instead of a distant howl.

U.S.A. - Back to back World War Champions! Go Eagles!

macblaster
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer 365
Next Firearm: Morris Custom 1911

Post by macblaster » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:02 am

(b) Furtively carries with INTENT to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or...

What is a dirk?
NFA.... Making "Stamp Collecting" Fun!!

lively stone
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS
Location: Standing in God's loving grace and peace (Rom 5:1-2, 8:1-2, 28)

Post by lively stone » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 pm

A "dirk" is a long thrusting dagger.

The best to you,

lively stone
Jesus Christ died for our sins.
He was buried and He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
(See 1 Cor 15:3-4, Acts 16:31, John 3:16, 36)

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:50 pm

macblaster wrote:(b) Furtively carries with INTENT to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or...

What is a dirk?
lively stone wrote:A "dirk" is a long thrusting dagger.

The best to you,

lively stone
+1 :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 pm

The Scottish Dirk is probably the most well-known form of the weapon. The highland Dirk is a newer 18th century continuation of the 16th-century ballock or rondel daggers. Scottish dirks were long daggers but were often matched with an identical but smaller version called a Sgian Dubh which was often carried concealed especially by women for defensive purposes.

A modern dagger developed in the 20th century and one of the most beautiful knives ever made in my opinion is the Syke-Fairburn dagger carried by the British SAS special forces in WWII. These same mil-spec daggers are in current production made in Sheffield England and sell for about $80 dollars. I have one and it's very high quality and polished and blued to a deep dark high gloss.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.