ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Sword canes

Post by ron » Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 am

I have both a sword cane and a sword umbrella. Both at cheap Chinese manufacture with the cane being better quality than the umbrella, The cane has a brass cobra head and I extended the length of it with a 3/4 inch I.D, one inch O.D. pipe to be able to use as a walking cane when I first had part of my right foot amputated. I'm 6'3'' and most canes are too short for me at about 34 inches and I need one that's about 37 or 38 inches.

With both the cane and the umbrella, you have to unscrew the handle that has the sword from the shaft of the cane or the top of the umbrella so that their utility as a weapon is compromised by this fact. Also since I have a carry permit, it would be foolish to bring a sword cane to a gunfight, so these things are of value to me only as novelties or home decor especially since according to WA state RCW, it is considered a weapon that is "Furtively carried" with implied evil intent.

Interesting how in the 19th century a sword cane was considered the implement of a gentleman whose intent was presumed honorable in that the weapon would only be used for the defense of the innocent or of the gentleman himself. Yet somewhere along the way people decided that a sword cane became exclusively the implement of an assassin or someone with no honorable intent whatsoever. The physical objet itself has remained unchanged over he centuries yet the public perception of the object itself has done a 180 degree about-face in the collective minds of society.

Recently I became familiar with a company that makes High-end collector quality sword canes of best quality and a secure pushbutton release, best quality steel, and even beautiful engraving on the blades.

These beauties run from about 700 to over a thousand dollars and gets me is that this is something if you ever carried it in public, it could easily be confiscated from you unless you happen to live in Arizona. In Arizona, if you're over 21 and not a felon, allweapons are legal. Concealed or open, no matter the size, type, or mechanism. There's even a video going around YouTube of an AZ guy pulling a full length katana from under his coat and defending another man who was being assaulted. The guy wasn't even questioned by the police.

And that's the other thing. If you decided to just for fun, carry it in public and take the unlikely chance of having it confiscated should you be questioned by or have a run-in with the authorities and were willing to accept the loss of a $1500 toy that's one thing, but what if you were actually attacked while carrying the damn thing and were forced to use it to save your A$$, then for SURE you'd be tried and convicted in both the media and in the courts of being a madman who carried something that was pure evil which automatically embodied YOU with pure evil by the very act of possessing such a diabolical contrivance.

Ah, what peculiar notions lurk in the minds of men.......But hey, that's just the way things are.

http://www.swordcane.com/
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: Sword canes

Post by Call Turner » Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

I saw a fellow in Keniwick get asked to leave the Federal bldg by an ICE agent while I was working down there. It took them a while to find that it was a sword cane and they gave him a choice of taking it out of the bldg or being arrested. The funnier scene was when a woman's purse had a Large dildo in it while going thru the xray machine .
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue May 13, 2014 11:08 am

Call Turner wrote:I saw a fellow in Keniwick get asked to leave the Federal bldg by an ICE agent while I was working down there. It took them a while to find that it was a sword cane and they gave him a choice of taking it out of the bldg or being arrested. The funnier scene was when a woman's purse had a Large dildo in it while going thru the xray machine .

HA! This is going off topic, but that reminds me of back in '94 when I was in L.A. for the earthquake which hit at 4 AM and knocked the power out all over the city. I was listening to talk radio and everybody was calling in with stories about how they got up in the dark amid all the destruction and most people's flashlights had dead batteries. So this one middle aged lady called in and said. "thank God there were four fresh 'D' cells in my vibrator!"
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

D1RG3
Gun Trader
City: Wellpinit,WA
Favorite Firearm: BRN16E1
Next Firearm: Coach Gun

Post by D1RG3 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:18 am

When I think of Sword Canes I always think of a Shikomizue, like mine in the above image.

Vindic8
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: WC EDC X9
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Vindic8 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Cold Steel makes a pretty functional sword cane at a decent price.

Check out the video.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Sword-Canes.aspx

racerx
SGT Premium Supporter
City: N. Spokane County
Favorite Firearm: The one in my hand
Next Firearm: H&K 416
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by racerx » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:27 am

Vindic8 wrote:Cold Steel makes a pretty functional sword cane at a decent price.

Check out the video.

Picked up one for my handicapped wifey from Cold Steel, on sale for $119- very well made and seems extremely strong, hope she never needs to use it as a protective device, just as a cane... but dam, never hurts to be prepared!
THE FOURTH HORSEMEN RIDES

ALWAYS BUYING AMMO !!!
5.56- .223- .40cal- .22lr

Adapt at ALL costs...
Change WILL come for those with NO FEAR

QUESTION AUTHORITY
WE will not ask YOUR permission to exercise OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS

Thank You Veterans III%erz ForceMultiplyer

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 pm

racerx wrote:
Vindic8 wrote:Cold Steel makes a pretty functional sword cane at a decent price.

Check out the video.

Picked up one for my handicapped wifey from Cold Steel, on sale for $119- very well made and seems extremely strong, hope she never needs to use it as a protective device, just as a cane... but dam, never hurts to be prepared!
Better to have a sword cane and not need one then to need a sword cane and not have one. 8-)