Randall Model 9 Thrower

Discuss Knives and Edged Tools...
G2120
City: Cheney WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 21
Next Firearm: Glock 41

Randall Model 9 Thrower

Post by G2120 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Picked-up a Randall Model 9 Thrower and some other knives at a yard sale today. It shows surface wear and a small amount of rust in areas (see pics). I'm wondering if it would be cost effective to send it to be cerakoted. As this is a current catalog item, I guess it would not wreck the value. I don't have much into it and would still be well under the current prices even after the cerakote. Whaddya think? Ideas?

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Re: Randall Model 9 Thrower

Post by Torakan » Sat May 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Don't coat it. I'm not sure Randall makes that model anymore and Those bring decent money to Randall collectors. That's prob a $150-$200 item in its current condition. Even tho it's not in super shape you will kill any collector value it has by coating it. If you want a cool throwing knife buy one of the throwers cold steel makes for under $30.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Sat May 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Clean it up but don't cover it up... :D My .02
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Mountainmanarmed
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Bluecreek, Washingto
Favorite Firearm: That one
Next Firearm: Need a black gun

Post by Mountainmanarmed » Sat May 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Sweet yard sale score!!
"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign" John Stuart Mills

G2120

Post by G2120 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 am

Torakan wrote:Don't coat it. I'm not sure Randall makes that model anymore and Those bring decent money to Randall collectors. That's prob a $150-$200 item in its current condition. Even tho it's not in super shape you will kill any collector value it has by coating it. If you want a cool throwing knife buy one of the throwers cold steel makes for under $30.

It is still listed in their online catalog, but the killer for Randall knives is the order backlog. I think that is why people pay over the current new price for some of the knives. The list for the thrower is like $150 I think, but they go for $200 and up used. weird.

G2120

Post by G2120 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:31 am

I also got this one which was kind of an oddball that I can't find anything about. It has the "ROSE" name stamped in the blade like the Phil Rose knives, so I'm not sure if it was something he did early-on or if it is a different USA maker. Picked-up a Ka-bar rigging knife, a Ka-bar fish knife, and a Gerber Guardian as well, so it was a good haul for the $$.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Sun May 03, 2015 10:22 am

G2120 wrote:
Torakan wrote:Don't coat it. I'm not sure Randall makes that model anymore and Those bring decent money to Randall collectors. That's prob a $150-$200 item in its current condition. Even tho it's not in super shape you will kill any collector value it has by coating it. If you want a cool throwing knife buy one of the throwers cold steel makes for under $30.

It is still listed in their online catalog, but the killer for Randall knives is the order backlog. I think that is why people pay over the current new price for some of the knives. The list for the thrower is like $150 I think, but they go for $200 and up used. weird.

I have 7 myself. All but one from my Army days. If you can clean it up you would have a nice start to a Randall collection or something you can make some money on. Either way nice find.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 am

If I ever found knives like that at a yard sale I would make it a point to go out and buy a half dozen lottery tickets on the same day. :shock:
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

G2120

Post by G2120 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:39 am

ron wrote:If I ever found knives like that at a yard sale I would make it a point to go out and buy a half dozen lottery tickets on the same day. :shock:

I do a lot of yard saling so it's not outrageously uncommon to find something unexpected, but nice when it happens.

:D