ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Russian Military knives--WOW

Post by ron » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:58 am

This is an extensively researched article as far as the many actual examples provided. The writer lives in Armenia and is fluent in both English and Russian. If the link doesn't work, I found this on The Firearms Blog under the title, "20 Knives of Russian Military and Law Enforcement"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... Newsletter
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Re: Russian Military knives--WOW

Post by Flawlessfoose » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:26 pm

I didn't see anything I didn't like in that list, they make some great looking knifes.
I wouldn't mind have a few or all of those!
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm very partial to some of those designs, and had a number of knives I brought back from a tour in the Balkans that look like those. Unfortunately E. European and Russian cutlery can be hit and miss quality wise.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Torakan wrote:I'm very partial to some of those designs, and had a number of knives I brought back from a tour in the Balkans that look like those. Unfortunately E. European and Russian cutlery can be hit and miss quality wise.
Yes. I suspected that the quality of some of the knives shown might be very good and the others not so much. and some of them I like the design very much and others I don't really care for.

The two that I like the best are 6) Rys (Рысь – Lynx) Moscow special police unit issue. Most likely good steel and good workmanship. And my favorite of all of them is: 12) Shaitan (Шайтан – Satan (Arabic) the picture shows one knife laying on TOP of the knife with checkered handle and it's the knife with the checkered handle which actually says, "Шайтан" on the blade but that's not the one I like. I like the design of the blade of the knife that's laying on top of the other one and it might be another version of the same knife but it's the better looking and better proportioned one in my opinion (see link)

The two-bladed butterfly knife is interesting but unlike most butterfly knives it would require a sheath just like a fixed blade knife because the handles can only encase either one blade or the other. And if you got the standard blade real sharp you'd want to fold it so that the utility blade was exposed and the sharp blade stayed inside the handle until you needed it.

I like butterfly knives but I've cut myself a few times while practicing flicking them open. There's one that I saw once that I wanted to buy but it was too much money. it had thin, solid handles and a "kris" curvy dagger Blade. I have a cheap one now of recent manufacture that says "Rostfrei" on the handle which is German for "Rust-free" meaning stainless but I don't know the country of origin, and I question whether it is German steel became the knife only cost about $15 bucks It also has a psychedelic purple metalflake handle that makes it look kind of "Pimp-style" and I like it for that reason. The blade steel is good and takes a good edge but the handle is loose and the latch doesn't stay locked but I know how to fix it.

Butterfly knives are illegal to carry in Washington but I never get stopped and searched anymore now that I'm a graybeard. 8-)
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.