Discuss Knives and Edged Tools...
TacticalTim
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 1873 SAA
Next Firearm: .357 Lever gun

Anyone know about this knife: Remington UMC RH 31

Post by TacticalTim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:09 pm

I have a Remington UMC RH 31 with the leather sheath. Try as I might, I can't find any reliable information about this knife. However, I just may not know where to look. If anyone knows about the value/history of this particular model, it would be greatly appreciated.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Re: Anyone know about this knife: Remington UMC RH 31

Post by Torakan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 am

Its a reproduction Remington put out in the early 90's. IIRC they were made by Camillus and there were folders and fixed blades. Remington put out a whole line reproducing their vintage cutlery and advertising posters. White Elephant was selling them in the $30 range. Northwest Pawn and Guns has a few of the framed knife/poster sets hanging in their shop.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

TacticalTim
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by TacticalTim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:10 am

TacticalTim wrote:I have a Remington UMC RH 31 with the leather sheath. Try as I might, I can't find any reliable information about this knife. However, I just may not know where to look. If anyone knows about the value/history of this particular model, it would be greatly appreciated.
]
The place to look is Google. I typed "Remington UMC RH 31" into google and found some info

What I learned from what was selling on Ebay is that these knives can be worth anywhere from $100 to $400 depending on condition and yours is in very nice condition, but as the other poster said, yours is probably a newer re-issue. the other thing I learned from looking at Ebay is that the original knives were made from 1925 to 1949.

Some of the newer Remington knives were made by Bear and son in the US and have good quality steel, but a lot of the newer knives they sell are made in red China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Remingt ... 7675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Remingt ... 1276816870

https://www.google.com/#q=Remington+UMC+RH+31
Last edited by ron on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 am

^ Ya but his is a reproduction. The originals have a different type of leather for the handles. Here is one on e-bay for 59.99 BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-RH31- ... 0763319574
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

TacticalTim
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by TacticalTim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

ron wrote:
The place to look is Google. I typed "Remington UMC RH 31" into google and found some info

What I learned from what was selling on Ebay...
I did do at least that much, however, I don't consider ebay to be a reliable source of information. The old "don't trust everything someone says who's trying to sell you something" comes into play. I was looking more for a knife blue book or a site with information on production dates and model history. But thank you for taking the time to look into it as well.

GUNNER81
City: Spokane Valley Wa
Favorite Firearm: BUSHMASTER 5.56
Next Firearm: ?

Post by GUNNER81 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Brand Remington Owner/TM Remington Arms
Country, Place of Manufacture: USA, Pakistan, China (PRC)
Product notes: For years, the USA made knives were normally made by Camillus (until 2007) The current USA production is believed to be done by Bear & Sons. Global production appears to be done in in the off shore factories used by SMKW and/or Schrade. Remington, Bear & Son, and SMKW will neither cofirm or deny this production information.
Value $40-60 new in box