ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Bear and sons Bowie before and after

Post by ron » Sat May 24, 2014 8:25 pm

The company that I had polish the blade sent me and email and notified me the knife had shipped and sent me these pics. The reaon I had it polished was that the brushed finish was uneven and it irritated the sh*t out opf me to look at it. It was expensive to have them do this, but what price happiness?

There's a lot of other funky stuff in my life that I'm willing to live with but certain things I want to them to be FINE and I want them to SHINE! :D

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: Bear and sons Bowie before and after

Post by Call Turner » Sun May 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Wow, that's nice Ron!
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 am

Call Turner wrote:Wow, that's nice Ron!
Thanks.

I've been "into" Bowies since I was about 6 years old and first saw one in a surplus store window. Over the years I've developed a mental image of what a real Bowie should look like. I saw one in a display case at the Alamo in San Antonio but it was a replica of the original and not the original. I was surprised that it wasn't really all that big, about the size of a WWII issue K-bar. and from what I read, James Bowie had more than one knife and also as subsequent copies were made of any of his knives were made, the original design got modified.

After that, what became the basic generic design of what came to be known generally as a "Bowie Knife" was usually a large, sometimes very large knife with a clip point that had a false edge that was sometimes sharpened. (which I intend to do on my knife) There there were other variations such as the "Sheffield Bowie" which is long but thin, and then there's what has come to be called the "Confederate Bowie" that has a handguard that curves upward on one side and downward on the other or otherwise has a D-guard like a cutlass. I've attached below a picture of the confederate bowie that's on display at the Smithsonian Institution.

There's one example of an actual Confederate Bowie at the Smithsonian which was found on the battlefield of Perryville, Kentucky, and it has neither type of handguard associated with so many confederate bowie replicas but it does have one other feature that is commonly seen among many Bowie variations which is a slight variation of the "coffin handle" which curves inward in the middle, but the rivet pattern is also something witch is fairly common with the coffin style handles.

So over the years I've developed my own image of what a Bowie should look like and the Bear & Sons Large Bowie is what seems 100 % correct (to me) in terms of the exact proportions that I've personally come to decide after many years are the right ones. And that's really why I spent the extra money to make this knife look good.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

GUNNER81
City: Spokane Valley Wa
Favorite Firearm: BUSHMASTER 5.56
Next Firearm: ?

Post by GUNNER81 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 pm

nice polish on that...these are Schrades version of the bowie that I've collected dressed up by Herman Williams, in house customizer for Schrade for 24 years
One of the stories I've heard is that the cavalry sabre was shortened by vets to use as a fighting knife..possibly a contributor to the style of the bowie.