Discuss Knives and Edged Tools...
Mountainmanarmed
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Bluecreek, Washingto
Favorite Firearm: That one
Next Firearm: Need a black gun

Hunting knife suggestions

Post by Mountainmanarmed » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I am in the market for a new hunting knife and there is just so many choices out there. I definitely have a few knives that would suffice but I'll take any reason to pick up a new one. I figured I would see what my fellow SGT members are using and recommend. I wouldn't mind a Buck since the factory is local and they do have a few quality knives. Trying to keep it under $250. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign" John Stuart Mills

Doug Helton
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: side by side shotgun
Next Firearm: any 32

Re: Hunting knife suggestions

Post by Doug Helton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 pm

what do you hunt ? also use as camp knife ?

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Once you figure out which type of knife you want, take a drive to Post Falls and go to the Buck store. They have blems that don't cost nearly as much as the ones in the stores. This way you can handle it and see how it feels.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 am

Bob R wrote:Once you figure out which type of knife you want, take a drive to Post Falls and go to the Buck store. They have blems that don't cost nearly as much as the ones in the stores. This way you can handle it and see how it feels.

bob
+1 :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:39 pm

I have some nice Cold Steel and Buck fixed blades and folders I'm going to get rid of. Pm me and I'll let you know what I have. I'll hook you up for cheap.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

badorderbob
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: clips
Next Firearm: hi-cap clips

Post by badorderbob » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 pm

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 pm

I have a cold steel Bushman that can be mounted on a shaft and uses as a spear. It's made of of Carbon steel and I can get an edge on it that is truly frighteningly sharp. The only thing it lacks is some paracord wrapped around the handle for a non slip grip. I took an oak rake handle replacement and ground it to fit the knife and the shaft doubles as a hiking staff. It makes an Xlnt camp knife. I have several cold steel items. A Vietnam tomahawk (exact replica of origingal) a roman Gladius "machete", a cold steel heavy machete., a cold steel Kukri machete, and an Assegai short spear. the roman Gladius machete is more like the original roman short sword than it is a machete and it is a formidable weapon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 2u433btm_b
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Mountainmanarmed
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Bluecreek, Washingto
Favorite Firearm: That one
Next Firearm: Need a black gun

Post by Mountainmanarmed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

Thank you for all the advice! I was looking for a whitetail/elk/bear hunting knife. I ended up getting the Buck Ergo Pro Hunter. The blade is a bit bigger than what I wanted but it is a beautiful knife and will definitely get the job done. Torakan, I am still interested in a couple of your knives. I am on vacation right now but I will PM you when I am back. Thanks guys!
"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign" John Stuart Mills

GUNNER81
City: Spokane Valley Wa
Favorite Firearm: BUSHMASTER 5.56
Next Firearm: ?

Post by GUNNER81 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:47 pm

I collect Schrade knives...the ones made before 2004, when they went bankrupt. Taylor LLC bought the rights and makes Schrades in China now.
Schrade switched to a carbon stainless blade. The older high carbon blades sell for more..I think the high carbon holds a better edge and is easier to sharpen than the stainless...Buck makes a good knife but never really liked the way they took an edge.. heck back in the 60's Schrade made the 301 for Buck. With a little lead time most Schrade hunting knives can be bought fairly reasonably...I like the 152 Sharpfinger 7 1/2 " for an all purpose camp knife or skinner and the 165 Old Timer 9 1/2" is a good hunting knife if you like something larger. If the tang stamp is SCHRADE+ its stainless...the + is the indicator...Watch out for the new ones...that don't have U.S.A. stamped on the balde

bmrtoyo
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: glock
Next Firearm: H&K

Post by bmrtoyo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:15 am

Mountainmanarmed wrote:I am in the market for a new hunting knife and there is just so many choices out there. I definitely have a few knives that would suffice but I'll take any reason to pick up a new one. I figured I would see what my fellow SGT members are using and recommend. I wouldn't mind a Buck since the factory is local and they do have a few quality knives. Trying to keep it under $250. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
ive got a 119,a 124 frontiersman , an alpha skinner ,bucks work for the price mine are all hair shaving sharp,, heck if youre looking up to $250.00 you havealot of options

Frontier Gear
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Orient, WA

Post by Frontier Gear » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 pm

I make them as a hobby. These are all $200.

My all time favorite knife for whitetail and bear.

For a good Old Timer replica I make these.

This one also worked well.
https://frontiergear.us/
Frontier Gear Sporting Goods and AR Parts