Check your Remington 700 or Seven Serial # - Factory Recall

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
Ericvdw
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: Remington SPS .308

Check your Remington 700 or Seven Serial # - Factory Recall

Post by Ericvdw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 am

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting, just found out mine was on the list and has to go back to the factory - they apparently can go "Bang" when you don't want them too.

website to check: http://xmprecall.remington.com/
With great power, comes great responsibility.

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Next Firearm: Barrett

Re: Check your Remington 700 or Seven Serial # - Factory Recall

Post by nivlak » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am

Has been a problem from the get go with the Rem700... if you do a google search you will see lots of things about the Rem 700 discharging with the safety on. Though I am sure it never happens, the chance of it happening steered me away from Remington.

roscothedog
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Odessa
Favorite Firearm: The next one!
Next Firearm: ??????

Post by roscothedog » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 am

It does happen, I was sighting in before an elk hunt with a borrowed 700 in 270 when about the second or third shot, BOOM! as i took the safety off.
Scared the hell outa me! Then I got prepared and it did it again when i was ready for it. Bad things can happen with a gun like that if you dont practice safe firearm handling. Yikes

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:02 am

Decided to send my Sps tactical in. Just waiting for my return box to arrive
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator
Favorite Firearm: Colts
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by jimmy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Damn, that blows... I have a stainless 270 700 that has been the best rifle I've ever owned.
Just punched in the serial # and sure SH!t!
Most likely will send it in.. Thanks for the post :cry:

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by jr1982 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Mine is on the recall list too.

Yaakattack3
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Bozeman
Favorite Firearm: G21
Next Firearm: Savage 110FCP-K

Post by Yaakattack3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:11 pm

As far as I know, if you have an aftermarket trigger/safety system installed, you should be good to go. Just in case anyone is in that boat. I have a Timney in my 700 and it's never given me any issues.

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Thu May 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Yaakattack3 wrote:As far as I know, if you have an aftermarket trigger/safety system installed, you should be good to go. Just in case anyone is in that boat. I have a Timney in my 700 and it's never given me any issues.
Do you have the 510 trigger?

Yaakattack3

Post by Yaakattack3 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 pm

dmoua wrote:
Yaakattack3 wrote:As far as I know, if you have an aftermarket trigger/safety system installed, you should be good to go. Just in case anyone is in that boat. I have a Timney in my 700 and it's never given me any issues.
Do you have the 510 trigger?
No I have the 517.

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Is there a difference or just preference between the 510 and 517?

Yaakattack3

Post by Yaakattack3 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 am

dmoua wrote:Is there a difference or just preference between the 510 and 517?
The 517 uses a flat bow trigger. Beyond that, i'm not sure what the differences are.

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

nivlak wrote:Has been a problem from the get go with the Rem700... if you do a google search you will see lots of things about the Rem 700 discharging with the safety on. Though I am sure it never happens, the chance of it happening steered me away from Remington.
This recall is specifically for 700's and 7's with the Xmark pro triggers made between 2006 and 2014.

The earlier AD controversy was fueled by media with a less than pro gun agenda. Remington responded, but of course it received little press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

In my career, I was involved in several investigations of "accidental" discharges, where it was claimed that guns fired without the trigger being pressed. Most of them turned out to be BS. I am aware of a number of 700 "AD's" that were caused by either bad "trigger jobs" or foreign objects in the mechanism, usually dirt or powder fouling/congealed lubricants. Whether or not there were any actual issues with earlier 700's is still not proven, as far as I know. With the amount of Rem 700's out there, as not only one of/the most prolific bolt action hunting rifles, but also serving with both military and LE as the most common precision rifle for decades, you'd think we would have conclusive proof of an inherent design flaw with the earlier models.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am

UpInIdaho wrote:
nivlak wrote:Has been a problem from the get go with the Rem700... if you do a google search you will see lots of things about the Rem 700 discharging with the safety on. Though I am sure it never happens, the chance of it happening steered me away from Remington.
This recall is specifically for 700's and 7's with the Xmark pro triggers made between 2006 and 2014.

The earlier AD controversy was fueled by media with a less than pro gun agenda. Remington responded, but of course it received little press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

In my career, I was involved in several investigations of "accidental" discharges, where it was claimed that guns fired without the trigger being pressed. Most of them turned out to be BS. I am aware of a number of 700 "AD's" that were caused by either bad "trigger jobs" or foreign objects in the mechanism, usually dirt or powder fouling/congealed lubricants. Whether or not there were any actual issues with earlier 700's is still not proven, as far as I know. With the amount of Rem 700's out there, as not only one of/the most prolific bolt action hunting rifles, but also serving with both military and LE as the most common precision rifle for decades, you'd think we would have conclusive proof of an inherent design flaw with the earlier models.
Very well said. I, too, have heard of this "controversy" for years. If it were a common or duplicateable event the gun writters would have torn the 700 up years ago. Never saw that happen though. While I dont recall the exact original story I think it was something like a single event, perhaps 2, that was blown completely out of proportion.
Given the QC issues they had for a few years though anything is possible, and there may well have been an issue with a limited amount of production, esspecialy if they switched the trigger mechanism. As to the stock 700 trigger, it has been one of the best for decades.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

PapaBear
Serious Gun Trader
City: West Plains
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: AR-10

Post by PapaBear » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Mine is safe, it has a 4 digit S#. :D
Pray for the rough men and women standing guard over this great land, for without their sacrifices the wolves would surely be on the porch instead of a distant howl.

U.S.A. - Back to back World War Champions! Go Eagles!

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Just got my Timney 510 trigger installed today by Rick. Can't wait to test it out.

Jim Beam

Post by Jim Beam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm

My Remington 700 VTR .308 is on the list and I put in the paperwork online with Remington and they sent me a shipping box and a prepaid mailing label...however before I boxed it up to send it to them I called them to see what the turn around time was and they could not give me an answer. they didn't know if it would be 2 weeks or 2 years. that has been 2 months ago and I still haven't sent it to them. I have did everything you could do with a rifle(except pull the trigger) and NO ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE. I have had numerous Remington 700's in 3 or 4 different calibers and never once had any trouble with any of them. They are GREAT RIFLES. I will probably send it to them after deer season

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 pm

I recently had a very bad experience with Remingtion customer service with having extra barrels fitted to an 1872 H&R. marlin bought out H&R years ago and now Remington owns Marlin. Remington in illion is now manufactureing those barrels and is in charge of fitting the barrels to the actions. They were supposed to repaor the existing barrel's extractor and fit the gun with two new barrels. That was back in May.

One of the barrels they sent me was missing the front sight and had bad rifling so I sent it back. and the original barrel that hey wer suppse to fix they didn't fix the ejecter all they did wa polish the chamber. So I sent it back and then the barrel they wer suppose to replace that had the missing sight and the bad rifleing, all they did wa polish the chamber but didn't fix the extractor so I had send it back again. Then after I sent the gun in again I noticed that the other barel thy sent me that I thought was OK had the bore drilled WAY off center!

And I still don't know if they fixed the extractor on the original barrel and this has been going ion for 2 1/2 months and it;'s still not resolved. Ever since Remington took over marlin they've had nothing but trouble and hundreds of the first marlins they built are now in for repair and all of the new R51 9mm's have been recalled.

If I had a rem 700 that they wanted to recall for the trigger there is NO WAY I'd send it to them. I'd just toss the factory trigger get a timney or canjar or rifle basix trigger instead.

here's one of the barrels Remington tried to sell me, 223 bull barrel 24 inch. I actually test fired it and surprisingly accuracy wasn't too bad but it wasn't too good either and I had to do a lot of adjustment on the scope and yet I never looked at the end of the barrel until I'd already sent the other bad barrel in.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.