ruger american .308?

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
dustindood13
Gun Trader
City: Airway Heights
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: 300 sbr

ruger american .308?

Post by dustindood13 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:43 pm

anyone have any hands on experience with this rifle?
im looking to dabble in some longer range shooting, lets say 700 yards and in.
im stuck between this and a savage 10 or 11 in the same caliber. any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is my first bolt gun/distance gun.

patches
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Mossberg SPX
Next Firearm: LR-10
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: ruger american .308?

Post by patches » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Have had mine almost two years now and although it works great for what I bought it for (hunting) ; the barrel is a tad on the light side which leads to a LOT of barrel lift during repeated firing. I found that if you wait about 15 to 20 minutes between shots - it is pretty consistent but anything faster than that your target will show it.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm

The Ruger is a very good rifle for the money, but I think the savage has greater accuracy potential and It's very easy to upgrade and change barrels on them if you decide to go to a longer heavier barrel or you can opt for one of their target/varmint/ LE rifles in 308 for $900-1100 that are very accurate right out of the box and have 26 inch bull barrels that will help generate enough velocity with the 308 with the 168 and 172 grain bullets that will allow it to be flatter shooting at longer ranges and stay supersonic at 1000 yards if you ever decide to try it out at that distance.

Savage 110 series are very accurate rifles. Check out all the different models on this website:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

If you decide to get one, Kieth at NW Pawn will probably be able to order the model you want. He usually has a few Savage rifles in the store, rifles, rimfires, and shotguns and he is a good man to do business with.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Bravery
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden Lake, Idaho
Favorite Firearm: XDm 10mm
Next Firearm: Sig 229 or Glock 9mm

Post by Bravery » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:35 am

I am in the market for a good 308. I was looking at either a Howa 1500 and a Savage model 10 FCM Scout
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Bravey wrote:I am in the market for a good 308. I was looking at either a Howa 1500 and a Savage model 10 FCM Scout
The Howas are good gusn but in my opining the Savages are better and it's easy to switch barrels if you eve want to do that such as if you wanted to go to a heavier longer barrel in 308 for long range.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Downeaster
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: .375 ruger
Next Firearm: shiloh sharps

Post by Downeaster » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Great rifle for the money, but not meant to be a 700yd gun. no fault of rugers, just not built that way. But by your post not sure if you are considering the ruger or just the savage and the Howa.
Best of luck, Nathan

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Is not Howa the maker of Weatherby rifles? I've only owned one in 30-06(an older one) but it had a trigger that put a Rem 700 to shame.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:56 am

R.J. wrote:Is not Howa the maker of Weatherby rifles? I've only owned one in 30-06(an older one) but it had a trigger that put a Rem 700 to shame.
The weatherby vanguard series are and are basically the same gun. The higher end weatherby models are not. I still prefer the weatherby vanguard over the howa though. The stock is a bit nicer....but at a higher price over the howa too. I recently bought one and have no complaints.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator
City: Valleyford
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: ??
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Nutntoit » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:34 pm

I was in the same boat as you and ended going with the savage. I ended up finding a great deal on a 30-06 so I went with that instead of .308. That being said my 111 is an awesome rifle for the money. It is put together much better than the American and doesn't feel like a budget rifle. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either gun but if you are looking to only use the gun on the range and don't anticipate hunting with it I would opt for one of the heavy barrel savages. You won't be disappointed.