advice needed for 308 comp

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SUPPRESSED SBR

advice needed for 308 comp

Post by mzvarner » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I have built up my version of a precision 308. Groups pretty well for the most part, however I am finding I have difficulty spotting my shots as the recoil pushes my rifle to the right (thus I have to come back to the left to get back on target). There are a lot of options out there and I need some help focusing my efforts.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Re: advice needed for 308 comp

Post by Blacklion66 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:47 am

Position / get a good coach to stand behind you for a few rounds :)

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am

Blacklion66 wrote:Position / get a good coach to stand behind you for a few rounds :)
A good coach will tell you that practice makes perfect. I think that Americans have been conditioned by advertising to think that the product will do it all for you with no effort on your part. As they like to say in advertising, "New, improved ______ will get the job done in seconds, with no muss, and no fuss!---It's like magic!" --Right. and magic is an illusion.

I'm afraid that that kind of thinking has penetrated our collective psyche far deeper than any of us realize.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Wingman82
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: DD MK18 SBR
Next Firearm: Benelli M4 Tactical
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Wingman82 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:18 pm

My person favorite is the Juggerbrake.
The Battlecomp is very good as well.
There are of course cheaper options, but ive used these and love them.
Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo...
United States Army, 13F, OIF II Veteran

mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by mzvarner » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:24 am

ron wrote:
Blacklion66 wrote:Position / get a good coach to stand behind you for a few rounds :)
A good coach will tell you that practice makes perfect. I think that Americans have been conditioned by advertising to think that the product will do it all for you with no effort on your part. As they like to say in advertising, "New, improved ______ will get the job done in seconds, with no muss, and no fuss!---It's like magic!" --Right. and magic is an illusion.

I'm afraid that that kind of thinking has penetrated our collective psyche far deeper than any of us realize.

I have had various forms of training in an attempt to remedy the issues. I have shot from bipods, sandbags, lead sleds (which did solve the POA shift, but is not practical). I have had people critique my form behind the rifle and tweak it some, and still have this issue after around 1200 rnds thru it. Necessity is the mother of all invention spawns new and improved anything. Sure the single shot flint lock muzzleloaders killed people just fine, and with a little training and practice these guns were able to be reloaded 2 or 3 times a minute. But then someone decided that 2 or 3 shots a minute was still pretty inefficient and a new concept was born which spawned an on going search that last to this day. This train of thought has continued in other forms as well some of them beneficial (medical advances, but even this is a controversial one and I will give you that), some of them not so beneficial (Facebook, Shake Weight, etc).

Anyways, I ended up going with a muzzel device from a gentleman named Ross Schuler out of southern Idaho. According to the reviews he makes an amazing product and it ships for $45. I ordered 2 (one for the 308 and one for my AR). I can post a review after a while.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 am

mzvarner wrote:
ron wrote:

I have had various forms of training in an attempt to remedy the issues. I have shot from bipods, sandbags, lead sleds (which did solve the POA shift, but is not practical). I have had people critique my form behind the rifle and tweak it some, and still have this issue after around 1200 rnds thru it. Necessity is the mother of all invention spawns new and improved anything. Sure the single shot flint lock muzzleloaders killed people just fine, and with a little training and practice these guns were able to be reloaded 2 or 3 times a minute. But then someone decided that 2 or 3 shots a minute was still pretty inefficient and a new concept was born which spawned an on going search that last to this day. This train of thought has continued in other forms as well some of them beneficial (medical advances, but even this is a controversial one and I will give you that), some of them not so beneficial (Facebook, Shake Weight, etc).

Anyways, I ended up going with a muzzel device from a gentleman named Ross Schuler out of southern Idaho. According to the reviews he makes an amazing product and it ships for $45. I ordered 2 (one for the 308 and one for my AR). I can post a review after a while.
I look forward to your reviews. And nothing wrong with taking advantage of technology. But just sayin', though I'm not quite old enough to remember when flintlocks were state-of-the-art, I do remember at the time hearing about some of the incredible shots Marine Corps Snipers in Viet Nam made using rem 700's and M-14's that were not as technologically sophisticated as the hardware we have today. The Russians also did pretty well with their 19th century Mosin-Nagants in WW2. The Finns also use those same basic rifles against the Russians with deadly results. In every one of these cases the ability of the man behind the rifle was more important than the level of sophistication or technical advancement of rifle itself.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Yaakattack3
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Bozeman
Favorite Firearm: G21
Next Firearm: Savage 110FCP-K

Post by Yaakattack3 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 am

Check out the Maxord MK1. The entire crew of Fourtrack Hunting in Colville use them on all of their big-bore rifles. They're local too.

http://www.maxordprecision.com/index.html

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Here's something interesting, a no-gunsmithing clamp-on muzzle brake:

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_p ... econdMedia

mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by mzvarner » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I got my Ross Shuler brakes in the mail today, and I must say that I am impressed. They are really clean machining and are tapered to the diameter of the barrel for a clean look. They are both 2.154 inches long and weigh 3.1 (223) and 3.7 (308) oz. Ill try to work on uploading pics, but unfortunately you guys will have to wait for a range report as they need to be timed by a smith (wishful thinking that they would be just perfect). Until then here is a link to his page so you can check them out...

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/R ... Brakes.htm

mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by mzvarner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:15 am

So I got the breaks out and they are pretty effective. I also had a buddy shoot my 308 while I stood next to him to see how bad they were, and I was surprised that it was not as bad as I was expecting. I was worried that I would have to re-develop a load since I added more weight to the barrel and it would affect harmonics. However, my groups shrunk from 3/4 to 1/2 MOA. This was only at 100 yards as I only had time to re-zero. Ill be heading out the mica to bang steel and see how it does at distance. Here are a few pics... the chassis is the new Element from XLR.
Attachments
break.png
break.png (78.27 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
folded.png
folded.png (120.66 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
chassis.png
chassis.png (119.18 KiB) Viewed 1091 times