Help with selection...

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
roach
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Too hard to decide
Next Firearm: PPK/s

Re: Help with selection...

Post by roach » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm

....And the Mosin is a bust AGAIN! :( Mount WILL NOT keep a zero due to the bolt size. 30rnds into it, it worked its way loose again. Have tried new/stronger bolts, Loc-tite...ect. Doesn't work. Only thing left to do is either drill/tap the holes and thread a bolt all the way through.....or tac weld it in place. :(

Anyone need a shiney new Weaver K-series 4x pistol scope w/Burris Zee rings? lol
I love the smell of road-flares in the morning

roach
Gun Trader

Post by roach » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:02 pm

At this point...I would not recommend the "BrassStacker" Scout Scope mount for the M91/30. Can't get it to hold up to the mighty 7.62x54R.

KRD
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by KRD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Agree on what has been said on Mosin and SMLE. Another good option is an Ishy. The Ishapore Enfield 7.62 NATO is a good choice too. Ammo is readily available...

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 pm

roach wrote:....And the Mosin is a bust AGAIN! :( Mount WILL NOT keep a zero due to the bolt size. 30rnds into it, it worked its way loose again. Have tried new/stronger bolts, Loc-tite...ect. Doesn't work. Only thing left to do is either drill/tap the holes and thread a bolt all the way through.....or tac weld it in place. :(

Anyone need a shiney new Weaver K-series 4x pistol scope w/Burris Zee rings? lol

Why not either drill/tap the holes and thread a bolt all the way through.....or tac weld (or JB weld) it in place? it's only a $50 dollar Mosin, right?

Othewise, how much you want for the scope? PM me if you really want to sell.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:28 pm

[quote][/quote]I'm after a new rifle. What I'm looking for would fall into the "survival Rifle" category I guess. What I want in this next rifle is......

-common caliber with easy availability (.233 / .308 / 30-06......)
-rugged reliability. (AK / Mauser / Remington action )
- commonly available detachable mags
-ability to be a fighting rifle if needed

For what you describe a short barreled shotgun with a scope is more in order. The money you save spend it on a assortment of ammo. Unless you plan on joining a organized militia any serious fighting you are going to be doing will be at short ranges (10-100 feet)

roach
Gun Trader

Post by roach » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Well I did end up tac-welding the mout to the receiver.....and now it holds just fine lol. However since then, I have also bought a Sig M400E, and a "Loaded" Springfield M1A. So now I got too many guns to carry :)

The M1A really fits the bill for all of it....Hunting, combat, reliability, and easy to find ammo. Sure was a chunk of change though lol. I don't know why I bought the Sig M4....I'm sure I had a reason at the time (impulse lol). Very nice rifle though. I still intend to shoot the dog-sh*t out of my Mosin :)

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by wagon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 am

pirateer2007 wrote:Ruger Mini-30 gets my vote.
Old post .. but yea. +1

or Mini-14

Accuracy would not be as good as bolt rifles or AR, but it will just keep on running -- should be important for "survival" scenario.