can someone explain pricing of firearms????

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
h2hummer
City: hayden id
Favorite Firearm: ar10
Next Firearm: 50 cal

can someone explain pricing of firearms????

Post by h2hummer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 am

How is it people are asking 300+ for 10/22s and 700+ for stock AR's when cabelas has these priced at 189 for the 22 and 549 for new dpms ars.. can someone explain this???? People just looking for the non informed buyer and hoping to make a score or what???? Then I make a reasonable offer for the used firearm and get treated like I'm the bad guy......

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: can someone explain pricing of firearms????

Post by bladebum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:10 am

The higher priced ads usually end up resulting in a "no sale" and fall off the board. Sometimes they lower the price but often they end up keeping the item forever.
Welcome to the Classifieds... :lol:
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
Next Firearm: Barrett

Post by nivlak » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 am

Some people think that they can get full price plus the tax they paid for a new firearm. But the truth is the market will decide and those people still have their crap while the rest of us have sold ours and bought other things already!

h2hummer
City: hayden id
Favorite Firearm: ar10
Next Firearm: 50 cal

Post by h2hummer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for the input guys!

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:20 am

I think there are a couple reasons for the price difference. Some people want the older 10/22s with metal trigger guards and value them as worth more. All ars are not the same. If it was a RRA for $700 that would be a good deal. Also people usually price higher than what they expect to get. I could be the wife told them to sell it and they didn't really want to so put a high price on it.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by jr1982 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Some start high to have wiggle room but some of those sellers are dummies who paid more than it was worth in the first place. Then there are the guys who check gunbroker to find out the highest asking price and then don't check to what they sell for. And last there are the scammers just looking for a sucker.

I really like it when someone has their overpriced gun for sale and then one of the vendors posts the same gun for sale for hundreds less.

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN

Post by Masonryman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:44 pm

jr1982 wrote:
I really like it when someone has their overpriced gun for sale and then one of the vendors posts the same gun for sale for hundreds less.

+1 :)

MM
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:32 pm

it all boils down to
this is still a partially free country
why someone does something smart or stupid is still their business
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug Helton
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: side by side shotgun
Next Firearm: any 32

Post by Doug Helton » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

i used to spend hours reading blue books and comparing pricing on internet sites and then one day I went to what my wife calls the "carnak" method , I hold the thing up to my head think of price and then just write it on the tag , strangely it works as well as the other methods
Doug

mauser54
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Silsbee
State: Texas
Favorite Firearm: Ones that i own
Next Firearm: What ever tickles me

Post by mauser54 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:42 am

Doug Helton wrote:i used to spend hours reading blue books and comparing pricing on internet sites and then one day I went to what my wife calls the "carnak" method , I hold the thing up to my head think of price and then just write it on the tag , strangely it works as well as the other methods
Doug
As good as any other method I suppose. I like it. :lol:
Gunsmith Graduate with Degree
30 years experience
General firearm repair
DuraCoating service
Customizing firearms.
Contact me by:
- Pm through SGT
- Email - mauser54@yahoo.com

"Second Amendment" America's Original Homeland Security

"The criminal needs to be taught to fear his victim"
Jeff Cooper

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:43 am

This question comes up all the time.

When selling firearms you are expected to come down on your price.

So if you only asked market value and had to come down from there, you'd lose money. I have a Ruger 10-22 that was on sale for $185 a couple of years ago, and those guns still come on sale for that same price. And I remember that when I bought that gun I didn't pay the store $185.00 and then walk out the door with it. I paid closer to 200 dollars. But If I tried to sell it for $200 just to break even, some people would be pissed off at me for trying to cheat them.

In many countries around the world people are expected to spend time arguing over prices of things and it's actually considered rude not to. But Americans consider it offensive if something doesn't have a fixed price and if it isn't the same that others are asking. In Tijuana Mexico, The Mexicans think that the Americanos are either completely stupid or have so much money that they don't care if they have to pay twice what something is worth.

Personally I think it's a waste of time to try to figure out why someone would DARE to ask too much for something and then get offended when a lower price were offered. My advice would be to nor lose any sleep over it and just to ignore something that was over-priced and find something more reasonable without getting all bent out of shape and spending a lot of time thinking about the bad deals but instead to put your efforts towards looking for the good ones.

The obvious reason peop0le asks too much for something is that they want to make a bigger profit and are looking for a buyer like the kind that shops in Mexico (or the Middle East) and pays whatever price is asked. I don't see what the great mystery is about that or why it requires any lengthy discussion or why it should offend anyone. It is what it is.

And any time I've ever made someone a lower offer that made them get pissed off, here is how I've always reacted to that:

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
Next Firearm: Barrett

Post by nivlak » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

ron wrote:This question comes up all the time.

When selling firearms you are expected to come down on your price.

So if you only asked market value and had to come down from there, you'd lose money. I have a Ruger 10-22 that was on sale for $185 a couple of years ago, and those guns still come on sale for that same price. And I remember that when I bought that gun I didn't pay the store $185.00 and then walk out the door with it. I paid closer to 200 dollars. But If I tried to sell it for $200 just to break even, some people would be pissed off at me for trying to cheat them.

In many countries around the world people are expected to spend time arguing over prices of things and it's actually considered rude not to. But Americans consider it offensive if something doesn't have a fixed price and if it isn't the same that others are asking. In Tijuana Mexico, The Mexicans think that the Americanos are either completely stupid or have so much money that they don't care if they have to pay twice what something is worth.

Personally I think it's a waste of time to try to figure out why someone would DARE to ask too much for something and then get offended when a lower price were offered. My advice would be to nor lose any sleep over it and just to ignore something that was over-priced and find something more reasonable without getting all bent out of shape and spending a lot of time thinking about the bad deals but instead to put your efforts towards looking for the good ones.

The obvious reason peop0le asks too much for something is that they want to make a bigger profit and are looking for a buyer like the kind that shops in Mexico (or the Middle East) and pays whatever price is asked. I don't see what the great mystery is about that or why it requires any lengthy discussion or why it should offend anyone. It is what it is.

And any time I've ever made someone a lower offer that made them get pissed off, here is how I've always reacted to that:

I agree with Ron to a point... It is like watching the show Down East Dickering. Sometime those guys throw- what to me seems like- a lowball offer but the other guy is like nah cannot go that low. Whereas in this area it is more like go fly a kite and people get a little butt hurt about it.

I still think that it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:29 pm

nivlak wrote:
ron wrote:This question comes up all the time.

I agree with Ron to a point... It is like watching the show Down East Dickering. Sometime those guys throw- what to me seems like- a lowball offer but the other guy is like nah cannot go that low. Whereas in this area it is more like go fly a kite and people get a little butt hurt about it.

I still think that it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
I agree that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and whether you're the buyer or the seller it's nothing to get 'butt hurt' about or lose any sleep over it. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. If someone makes an offer that's too low, don't sell it.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

ron:
I agree that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and whether you're the buyer or the seller it's nothing to get 'butt hurt' about or lose any sleep over it. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. If someone makes an offer that's too low, don't sell it.
Spot on... :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Slobberknocker
City: Freeman
Favorite Firearm: A-10 Warthog

Post by Slobberknocker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 pm

I know one things for sure.....everyone that has posted or will post on this subject, is guilty if what the OP is asking about :o Yes, including me.
My point is, there simply is no reason you can list here that would not be true to this subject. My other point is, one should focus on your purchasing intelligence, rather then the sellers reasoning. :idea:

dlhutch822
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls
Favorite Firearm: 50BMG
Next Firearm: Psalm 144:1

Post by dlhutch822 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:21 am

Due to a lot of uneducated buyers paying much more than they should.
INVISIBLE SOLES LEAVE .50 HOLES.........SUPPORT SGT!!!!

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:25 pm

ron wrote:I agree that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and whether you're the buyer or the seller it's nothing to get 'butt hurt' about or lose any sleep over it. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. If someone makes an offer that's too low, don't sell it.
ABSO-FRIGGING-LUTELY
An exchange with another member on here comes to mind.He was asking 10%-15% more than I thought his gun was worth. He referenced examples of what was being ASKED for a couple like it on GunBroker. I countered with examples of what some like it actually SOLD for on GunBroker.
The guy absolutely went OFF on me. Called me a few dirty names and told me to bugger off. I reported it to the mods but nothing seemed to come of it.
He still advertises guns and ammo on here, and I have seen several of his ads for something I was interested in. Never even bothered to contact him on any of them though. I have no use or time for foul-mouthed immature children.
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

davekell
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: M1A
Next Firearm: Sig HK S&W

Post by davekell » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:45 pm

The way I value my firearms is used 15% off + condition % Then + if I have added to it. Unless its rare one then I check the value online of the region I'm in.
As an example I remove the delta ring on all my ar15's and add 9 to 15" add 1-4 scope or red dot new stock and grip, dual harness points and NB BCG's and BUIS. So that adds up on top of the 15% off.
I have owned a few DPMS and other ar's, I find that building is the cheapest way.
I have bought only one new pre-built ar15 and that was from frank at protection 1st and I love it. It was 699+tax but rebuilding it I added 500$ more in parts.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:44 pm

davekell wrote:The way I value my firearms is used 15% off + condition % Then + if I have added to it. Unless its rare one then I check the value online of the region I'm in.
As an example I remove the delta ring on all my ar15's and add 9 to 15" add 1-4 scope or red dot new stock and grip, dual harness points and NB BCG's and BUIS. So that adds up on top of the 15% off.
I have owned a few DPMS and other ar's, I find that building is the cheapest way.
I have bought only one new pre-built ar15 and that was from frank at protection 1st and I love it. It was 699+tax but rebuilding it I added 500$ more in parts.

And a lot of times when you go to sell a gun like that, people are going to tell you it's only worth 699+tax Unless you can show them the receipts for the upgrades and even then they might try to lowball you.

Generally how much you're willing to pay depends on how much of a hurry that you're in to ether get a specific gun or to sell a specific gun. If you have the time you can keep looking until you find the price you want or if you're selling you can hold out until you find someo0ne who will pay the price you want. Ed Karrer who used to own Gun-o-rama told me once, "I own the building and it doesn't cost me anything for a gun to sit in the same place on the rack for ten years".

But usually I don't mind taking a loss on a gun if I need the money to get something else. The way I figure it, Guns are a form of recreation that I enjoy and If I buy a gun for $500 and sell it for four, that's like renting a jet ski or something on a weekend but for my $100 dollars I got more use out of that one piece of equipment than with something that I'd rent on a one time basis. Realistically the only way you can make money on guns is to buy something and then hold on to it and wait for inflation to make it worth more than what you paid unless you luck out and get something that gets discontinued or for some reason becomes a popular high demand item.

And as far as people who are tempermental and thin skinned I'm usually able to practice the art of diplomacy with people like that. The art of diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip. :D