Ruger precision 243...problems

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
HH375HH
City: Spokane, Wa
Favorite Firearm: All
Next Firearm: Any

Ruger precision 243...problems

Post by HH375HH » Fri May 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Purchased myself a Ruger precision rifle in 243 today! I've wanted a nice 243 for quite some time now and finally bit the bullet today. Everything looked good at the store, got it home and took it out of the box and assembled it, Opened a mag and through it in and everything seemed great. Went to release mag and nothing! Mag would not come out tried for probably 5 minutes wiggling and pulling and finally got it out. Looked inside and mag catch seemed floppy and weird. Pulled the lower off and found that Ruger decided that I did not need the pivot pin for the mag catch/release. Everything else was there just no pin. Not the end of the world I had an old pin and had to cut it down to work and now it's great but you would think a $1000 rifle would at least have all the parts and be functional! I suppose it's partially my fault for not checking that when I bought it but oh well. Moral of the story " check every function of your firearms when purchasing!"
Here is the rifle with my 300rum model 700. Pay no mind to the very poor optic situation on the Ruger. When funds come about it will be remedied

Abruzzi
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: S&W
Next Firearm: Masquelier

Re: Ruger precision 243...problems

Post by Abruzzi » Fri May 13, 2016 7:20 pm

I've had bad luck with Rugers. I think that's all it is, well, was. Luck. I know people love Rugers, but when I see things like this, I think 'same old Ruger crap.'

HH375HH

Post by HH375HH » Fri May 13, 2016 11:22 pm

This is the first problem I've ever had with Ruger. I think they make a decent product although most of my Rugers have been cheaper guns. I think any firearm that is $1000 should be inspected better but I also understand it is a mass produced item. I'm on the fence about how upset I really am but I do plan to contact them for sure

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu May 19, 2016 4:48 am

I almost bought one of those. Upon doing more research i decided to hold off and see how it goes with reviews from actual customers, not people getting paid to write reviews or you tubers who just want views of their videos. So, I picked up a Remington R25 instead. Since I've always shot .243 this seemed like a logical choice. Picked up the rifle for 1500. It already had some considerable upgrades. I added some of my own personal touches and now I'm about 3000 Deep into this rifle. I must say it is beautiful and one hell of a shooter.
Do or do not there is no try.

HH375HH

Post by HH375HH » Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 am

The r25 is a very cool rifle. I was looking for a bolt gun on this one but I would really like to do an ar in 22-250 eventually. I haven't done a ton of research but so far I've only found Olympic arms that does a factory built 22-250 upper. Would like to see pictures of your r25 if you've got them

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Fri May 20, 2016 2:59 am

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

HH375HH

Post by HH375HH » Fri May 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Very nice! Looks like one hell of a coyote slayer

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 am

I held on of the Ruger Precision .243's at a Survivilist/gun show in Sevierville TN last weekend. That was one heavy ass rifle. It seems about twice as heavy as my R25 and I got a lot of sh*t packed in the stock of that rifle and grip. It would definatly need a bipod. An Accutac Bipod. and one hell of a scope. This thing had neither and it was a one beast of a .243 rifle. I do not envy you lugging that thing around. It's one beautful big bitch that's for sure. I'd probably still get one for the 999.99 price tag if I found one available at that price. But I'm not paying 1500 for one. Maybe I'll get lucky and some one will get sick of hauling that big bastard around and sell it on Armslist Knoxville. ......I keep an eye on that particular site daily