Pardner pump or 870 express

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
Lead ball
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SA 1911
Next Firearm: Black Powder

Pardner pump or 870 express

Post by Lead ball » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 am

I am looking to get a cheap shotgun to shoot clay pigons,Grouse and maybe Turkey has anyone had experience with the pardner pump I can pick one up used for 120.00 and the express for 200 the pardner looks pretty good and what I read is good but I would like to hear from someone who has one thanks

Nutntoit
Global Moderator
City: Valleyford
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: ??
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Pardner pump or 870 express

Post by Nutntoit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am

I have experience with both guns and can tell you from personal experience to get the Remington. Neither is the "best" gun, but this is what I have found. The pardner is a decent gun, but it is significantly heavier. The Remington is a time proven design. Hence why H&R copied it for the pardner. Both guns will shoot about the same, but the Pardner is rough around the edges. I have a good friend with the pardner and his gun will not cycle low brass shells. I have an 870 and have used it for all manner of shotgunning. I have used it to shoot trap, sporting clays, hunt upland birds, and even shoot slugs. If you are in the market for an inexpensive pump gun stick with either an 870 or a Mossberg 500. Another reason to go Remington is aftermarket support. Although the H&R will take many Remington parts, if you ever want to get a different barrel you will be glad you chose Remington.
Last edited by Nutntoit on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:37 pm

870 :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:52 pm

870 I have one...but I prefer my Mossy's 870 is for the wife :lol:
Do or do not there is no try.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 pm

I prefer Mossburg to Remington because Remington's quality control and customer service have gone way downhill since Remington and marlin and (H&R who now makes the pardner) were taken over by the Cerebus corporation. I had a horrible experience trying to get H&R fit an extra barrel to my single shot H&R and had to send the gun back several times and one of the barrels they sent me was drilled off center and I had to fight with them to get them to replace it and the replacement had very rough rifling and I finally gave up and just bought another used H&R single shot in the caliber I wanted.

In my opinion you would be a lot better off buying a Mossberg Maverick for $188 than a cheaper Remington or H&R because of the QC and warrantee issues with both those guns. It's not that much more money and it could save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Just look at all the QC issues they had with the first marlins they made. Those first guns were crap and the newer guns just are not as good as the old Marlins which has caused the value of JM stamped Marlins to go up, and the values of the old 870 Wingmasters have gone up too. If I were wanting a good 12 guage pump, I'd look for a nice used Winchester model 12.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla
State: ID

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:22 pm

If I am not mistaken the H and R is made in China. Get the 870, it's a much better shotgun.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 pm

NOIDCO wrote:If I am not mistaken the H and R is made in China. Get the 870, it's a much better shotgun.

The Remington 870 was a great pump gun years ago when they made the 870 wingmaster, but ever since Remington, Marlin, and H&R was taken over by Cerebus Corporation/Freedom Group, both quality control and customer service have sunk to a new low. So even if the H&R were not made in china it would still be a poor choice.

If you're talking about an older Remington Wingmaster or an older JM marked Marlin those are completely different guns, but the economy model 870 express is not as well made as it used to be and you can forget about a factory warrantee if anything goes wrong after you've bought the gun especially if it's a factory defect, and not something a gunsmith could fix, because customer service is a nightmare. I've had a very bad experience with them and I'm not the only one. And that's why I'm saying that you'd be much better off getting an older Rem 870 used but in good condition for about $250 or a new Savage/Stevens 320. and Cabelas has them for $179

They are made in china, too, but with Savage monitoring the Quality control, they are probably well made. China is capable of building quality guns. The ones that they make for their own military are not "junk". Norinco used to make a mil-spec 1911 A1 that was top-notch and so was their copy of the 22 LR Browning ATD. I had one that shot as well as my current Belgian Browning ATD.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stevens- ... 347609.uts

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

KRD
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls

Post by KRD » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:57 am

I have had both and the 870 is better.

I have had the Stevens/Savage 350 which is a Chinese copy of the Ithaca pump. I would pass on it and their 320 which is a Winchester pump copy.

I would get the Maverick 88 eight shot Defender that Big 5 has for $190. Great gun for the money.

I think the Maverick is the best value play followed by the Pardner.