bolt gun build question

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
ninjassassin
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: m1a
Next Firearm: dont know

bolt gun build question

Post by ninjassassin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:37 pm

I've been looking at buying a new rifle a 700 Sendero in 300 win. But I'm also thinking about just having one built because if I buy one I'm still gonna have things done to it so why not just have one built how I want it. I've never had one professionally built. How much does it cost just the rifle minus the scope? What are the lead times for having one built?

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: bolt gun build question

Post by Call Turner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:01 pm

I put together a 338 Lapua a few years back. I bought a Stiller action, a Ron Smith gain twist barrel. A timney trigger, 700 BDL bottom metal. A Weatherby magazine box and a Manners composite stock. I had about $2800 into just parts. A good friend put it together for a bottle of expensive scotch. I was going to do another build, a 22-250. But decided to go with a Kimber instead.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Coug91 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Give a shout to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge in Rathdrum.
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

garand
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane

Post by garand » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:46 am

Take a look at http://WWW.GAPRECISION.NET and their lineup. They build rifles on the 700, Templar and Surgeon actions and guarantee 3/8-1/2" moa, and I have been tickled pink with mine. That having been said, check out this link as well and do your research. I always consider these web sites to be great for info and reference but ultimately we have to decide for ourselves what is best for us. There are a lot of extremely high quality custom bolt gun builders out there and one of these will surely fill your needs and desires. Lead time is very difficult to address as supply and demand determines your placement on the waiting list. Considering a Sendero will run you $1000 plus along with the potential modifications you want to have in the rifle, it doesn't take much to get into the same price range as one of these custom builders.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/2 ... gunsmiths/

ninjassassin
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ninjassassin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I might just start gathering the pieces over time then having someone put it together for me.

high country
Serious Gun Trader
City: otis orchards
Favorite Firearm: I build what I want
Next Firearm: my build

Post by high country » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm

If you go the custom route, I'd suggest a custom action. I do a bunch of builds on rem 700s but the $$ it takes to equal a custom darn near gets you there.....and resale on a custom happens in minutes whereas a trued 700 can be tough if it's not a known builder.

F350Crew
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls IDAHO!!
Favorite Firearm: 6.5 GAP/1911
Next Firearm: Lever 44 Mag

Post by F350Crew » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I would recommend giving Chris a call over at Long Range Customs in Post Falls. I have been very pleased with his work. He is also very knowledgable about what it takes to build a nice Long Range Rifle without all of the hype AND he is very reasonable compared to many others. I am confident he can build you exactly what you are looking for. :{)
"Integrity & Honor"

Grace_Hunter07
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 700Rem
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Grace_Hunter07 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:38 am

I bought a new Rem700 in 308 and custom built it up how I wanted...Buying new better parts for it and 'customizing' it how I wanted it to be was very slow...

But, because I experienced the difference from stock parts, crap parts, and finally very high-end quality parts...I now have knowledge, experience, and a better tuned trigger finger and sharper mind than some of the other shooters out there.

The only thing I had to outsource on my rifle was having my action rebarreled and trued, then refinished after all the work...

Other than that, I did everything myself...

ninjassassin
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ninjassassin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm still in the planning stages in my head. I'm looking at buying the action and barrel first. I'm thinking about a titanium or stainless magnum action and a carbon fiber barrel to cut down on weight as I will be using it as a hunting rifle. Would it cost more for a gunsmith to work on a titanium receiver vs a steel? What is the over all opinion on carbon fiber barrels as you hardly see anyone using them?

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:11 pm

If you go the custom action like high country said, there should be no smithing really required other than installing the barrel. I went with Stiller myself but there are many others out there. And all are about the same cost wise. I don't know about the carbon fiber barrels. The smithing that goes into setting your action into the stock as well as setting up your magazine box, that's a different story. Tom Manners did mine and I ordered my stock custom made from him. Look up Manners composite stocks on the net. He places one of his stocks on two 6x6s and drives a Ford truck up on the stock. He does this every year at the Shot show in Vegas and challenges the other big name stock makers to do the same. Never any takers. Good outfit to work with though.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

high country
Serious Gun Trader
City: otis orchards
Favorite Firearm: I build what I want
Next Firearm: my build

Post by high country » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:25 pm

It sounds like you want a lightweight action. I'd look at lone peak for a ti, borden for a lighter steel. Budget some Hawkins rings and you'll be happy.

If you are a Facebook person, check out Whaley precision, Matt is just about to build what you are describing, lone peak razor ti, CA carbon tube, edge game scout.....etc. Matt does great work. Dallas lane has built similar and I will be building one this summer myself.