Making a Birdshead shotgun grip

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Making a Birdshead shotgun grip

Post by UpInIdaho » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Has anybody ever made their own Birdshead pistol grip for a shotgun? I'm talking modifying the wood stock. I'm considering doing a Witness Protection type shotgun, and would like to do a wood grip.

Something like this

Or

I'm aware there are polymer versions available, and I have a couple of them. But I'd like to do one in wood.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Making a Birdshead shotgun grip

Post by ron » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 am

The one in the first picture is really nice looking. Not sure how much fun it would be to actually shoot with 3 inch mag #00 Buck, however. But Winchester, Remington. Fiocchi, and Federal all make reduced recoil buckshot loads, but of the three, the lowest velocity loads are the Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil #4 Buckshot. they develop only 1100 fps and all the others are between 1140 and 1200.

I use those in my old Winchester 1897 because they're easier on the gun, and I use light field loads for practicing with the gun.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by UpInIdaho » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 pm

ron wrote:The one in the first picture is really nice looking. Not sure how much fun it would be to actually shoot with 3 inch mag #00 Buck, however. But Winchester, Remington. Fiocchi, and Federal all make reduced recoil buckshot loads, but of the three, the lowest velocity loads are the Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil #4 Buckshot. they develop only 1100 fps and all the others are between 1140 and 1200.

I use those in my old Winchester 1897 because they're easier on the gun, and I use light field loads for practicing with the gun.
The Birdshead style grip isn't that bad with reasonable loads, like the Federal low recoil #1 buck I use in my shotguns. Much better than with the pistol grip style. You push it out as if it has a full stock on it, and pull away from you with the support hand. With a little practice, 25 yard hits are pretty easy, but like any shotgun, you do need to aim. A strap on the forend helps for pulling forward, along with helping to prevent loss of digits from slipping. The Scattergun Technologies gun built for the USMS, was really just a version of guns PD's had been making for many years for undercover, etc., along with some factory versions.

We built up a few guns like that for dope buys, dignitary protection, etc., for a little more oomph that was still somewhat concealable in a small bag, etc. MP5's replaced them, and obviously were a lot more versatile. But a 13" barreled 870 coming out from under a jacket was definitely good for getting someone's attention right now....

Anyway, hoping I can find someone that's done something like this with a wood stock. I guess I should have paid more attention in wood shop.... :oops:

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:41 pm

UpInIdaho wrote:
ron wrote:The one in the first picture is really nice looking. Not sure how much fun it would be to actually shoot with 3 inch mag #00 Buck, however. But Winchester, Remington. Fiocchi, and Federal all make reduced recoil buckshot loads, but of the three, the lowest velocity loads are the Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil #4 Buckshot. they develop only 1100 fps and all the others are between 1140 and 1200.

The Birdshead style grip isn't that bad with reasonable loads, like the Federal low recoil #1 buck I use in my shotguns. Much better than with the pistol grip style. You push it out as if it has a full stock on it, and pull away from you with the support hand. With a little practice, 25 yard hits are pretty easy, but like any shotgun, you do need to aim. A strap on the forend helps for pulling forward, along with helping to prevent loss of digits from slipping. The Scattergun Technologies gun built for the USMS, was really just a version of guns PD's had been making for many years for undercover, etc., along with some factory versions.

We built up a few guns like that for dope buys, dignitary protection, etc., for a little more oomph that was still somewhat concealable in a small bag, etc. MP5's replaced them, and obviously were a lot more versatile. But a 13" barreled 870 coming out from under a jacket was definitely good for getting someone's attention right now....

Anyway, hoping I can find someone that's done something like this with a wood stock. I guess I should have paid more attention in wood shop.... :oops:

I've never done ity but I like working with wood and I've done other work re-shaping an re-finishing gun stocks. Best advice is when you cut the stock away from the grip area, leave the grip LARGER than you want it to be and then gradually rasp, or grind, and sand it down to the final dimensions. Just take your time and you won't Fk it up. That first picture you posted would be a good guide to go by.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by UpInIdaho » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 am

ron wrote:I've never done ity but I like working with wood and I've done other work re-shaping an re-finishing gun stocks. Best advice is when you cut the stock away from the grip area, leave the grip LARGER than you want it to be and then gradually rasp, or grind, and sand it down to the final dimensions. Just take your time and you won't Fk it up. That first picture you posted would be a good guide to go by.
Yeah, I have a few old 870 beater stocks, I'll probably give it a try on one.