.357 Lever Gun

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

.357 Lever Gun

Post by Sandaholic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

If you were to get one as a gift what would you hope for?

My Mom just got remarried recently and I like the guy. Been a while since I seen her with a guy right of Center in his politics and he is a Navy Vet as well. It's just a nice change. A large portion......dang near all of my family truth be told are bleeding heart liberals and this is a breath of fresh air I tell ya! It will be nice knowing my mom now has someone to protect her.

They came up here recently and we went shooting at the Spokane Rifle Club. While he did enjoy shooting our semi-autos he really only had eyes for his new Ruger .357 6" barreled something or other (don't recall the model) that he brought. He is a shotgun and revolver guy "revolvers don't jam man!" I believe was his exact repetitive quote :lol: He had only brought .38 Special loads with him but the day before they arrived I bought some off the shelf hotter loaded factory ammo made by Grizzly IIRC. He REALLY enjoyed that.

He has talked about getting an AR, but I don't see it. I'm thinking a .357 Lever Gun will be right up his alley. What y'all think :)
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

Roland the Headless
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: single 7/ henry .327
Next Firearm: none no more

Re: .357 Lever Gun

Post by Roland the Headless » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 pm

there is a marlin that has a micro grove barrel
I dont remember the model but it shoots like pointing your finger
I loved shooting my buddy's he sold it ...and not to me , how dare him
paddle or pan see ya on the creek
.22 Henry .22 Wrangler .22 mkII
.357 Taurus old style m66 4in
.327 Taurus m 327 2in .327 Henry .327 Single 7
.38 spl S&W 642 CCW

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 am

As Roland said the Marlin is one fantastic rifle. I had one in the past and it was a ton of fun to shoot. However, they are getting scarce and very expensive, I believe I sold mine for north of $800.00 IIRC. Fortunately there is a lower cost alternative which is the Henry rifle. Just note if you will ever want to scope it buy the steel not brass receiver.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks for the replies. So any age of Henry, but the Marlin needs to be JM Stamped to get quality?
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

KRD
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls

Post by KRD » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 am

A couple of other alternatives:

!) Rossi 92
2) Ruger 77/357

I know the Ruger is a bolt. But a bolt is less complicated, more accurate, and more reliable.

This guy sounds like my cousin who has dumped all semi automatics. He only has revolvers, pump action shotguns, and bolt action rifles.
His main reason is the simplicity, ruggedness, and unquestioned reliability.
Last edited by KRD on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 am

KRD wrote:A couple of other alternatives:

!) Rossi 92
2) Ruger 77/357

I know the Ruger is a bolt. But a bolt is less complicated, more accurate, and more reliable.

This guys sounds like my cousin who has dumped all semi automatics. He only has revolvers, pump action shotguns, and bolt action rifles.
His main reason is the simplicity, ruggedenss, and unquestioned reliability.
Thats pretty much exactly where he's at.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Sandaholic wrote:Thanks for the replies. So any age of Henry, but the Marlin needs to be JM Stamped to get quality?
When Remington first bought Marlin around 2010 or so the quality went south. In the more recent years I have "heard" that the quality is back up to Marlin standards. To determine the year of manufacture subtract the first two numbers in the serial number from 100 and that's the YOM. Maybe just stay away from 2010 - 2013 ish :?: :?:

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Well if new Marlins are fine that takes any guess and legwork out of it. Just find one on the shelf and done.

T-Bone
City: Rockford,WA
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30 Cowboy
Next Firearm: Ithaca M37 16ga

Post by T-Bone » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 am

No question of quality with the Henry; just skip the Golden version as it is significantly heavier due to the heavy weight barrel metal.

Yes, the new Marlin M94's have greatly improved in quality control, but I don't trust corporate Remington.

Elk Stalker 45-70
Serious Gun Trader
City: Kingston
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1885 Highwall 45-70
Next Firearm: Winchester 1886

Post by Elk Stalker 45-70 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 pm

I've owned 3 different Marlin 1894 357's. 1894c, 1894 CS and and an 1894 Cowboy Limited.
All shot really well, with the edge going to the longer Cowboy barrel for more precise shots.
Expect to pay anywhere from $900- $1900 depending on model and condition.
I've also owned several Rossi 92's in 357. 3 Carbine length and a 24" octagon version that was neck and neck with the Marlin Cowboy. For $550-$600, you can't beat the Rossi 92 Octagon. The carbines all needed some work to get them to run as smoothly as I like, but it's not difficult to do. The octagon model was smooth as butter right from the box.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for that!

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: Model 70 Featherweig
Next Firearm: Undecided

Post by 257ROBERT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Roy, on the newer "Remlin " guns the two characters on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver will give you the month and year of mfg. They are different than the earlier guns which use the addition subtraction code. Remington took them over and moved production in 2009. Suspect guns started with JM stamped guns from 2008 thru Remlin guns up to the beginning of 2012. If you want any further info, call me when you can. 509 292 9527.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

DO NOT DRINK AND TYPE! It never ends well.

mossrock
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: 30-30 Savage
Next Firearm: 1894 JM Marlin

Post by mossrock » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:15 am

If you want a NEW Marlin .357 lever gun, they will be shipping again as early as February 2018!

They will be releasing several variations. Check it out! I am keeping these on my radar! I would love a JM stamped early model, but will settle for a new 2018 model, with hopes the quality is as good or better If I can't get my hands on the former. :mrgreen:

A ROLLING ROCK GATHERS NO MOSS!
My dog does not agree with my guns, but a man couldn't have two better friends.