Discuss all things Handguns...
SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
City: Spokane
State: Wa
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: New HK striker fired pistol

Post by SGTAnnounce » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:22 am

Anybody get their VP9 yet? I'm excited to see one in person, but have never seen / held one yet.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Huskyoff wrote:Anybody get their VP9 yet? I'm excited to see one in person, but have never seen / held one yet.
+ 1 I'd like to know as well.

I've signed up for email notification from midway USA I believe because they have been getting them and selling the for 599 . But you gotta be really fast because they sell out almost instantly .
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

dougsk
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Buck Mark
Next Firearm: GAU-8

Post by dougsk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Local talent reviewed the VP9 on YouTube and TTAG.

Last Saturday, I went down to SharpShooting and rented the VP9, probably the same one as in the review. While there, I rented the Walther PPQ M2 and Sig P320 to compare with as I'm looking for a striker fired plastic fantastic. I'm a lefty with a hair over medium size glove hands. The Sig P320 grip just didn't work for me, so I didn't put that many rounds through it.

The PPQ and VP9 are very similar grips and similar shooting. I prefer the grip on the VP9 a little bit better as it seems like I can get just a little bit higher. Having shot mostly guns that had no idea lefties even existed, this is my first go with having three different ambi guns to play with. I noticed I was riding the right hand slide stop. Just enough that when last round ejected, the slide wouldn't lock back. I guess righties deal with this all the time, but it's definitely new to me. I didn't ride the slide stop on the PPQ.

With two or more rounds in the magazine, I could easily auto forward the slide on mag insertion, but with only one round, that's a no go, but most people don't load one round. I do on new to me guns though. The PPQ on the other hand didn't seem to auto forward no matter how much I tried. Most of the internet seems to think the PPQ trigger is striker fired perfection, but to be honest, I kinda liked the VP9 trigger better. The VP9 trigger is a bit heavier, less takeup, reset is a smidge longer, but the break point seemed more predictable to me. Could be that the VP9 is a bit newer in the gun case at the rental range or could be the nature of the triggers, dunno as those two are the only samples I've shot. The firearms are very, very similar. Between the slightly better grip and the more predictable trigger, I kinda liked it better. I'm almost convinced to put money down on a factory tritium model.

Lane 8 at Sharp Shooting

10mmshooter
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA

Post by 10mmshooter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I tried out the one at SS. I fell in love. The trigger is fantastic. A little better than my well worked over Glocks.

So I went and bought one Saturday. I believe there may be one left in Spokane.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 pm

10mmshooter wrote:I tried out the one at SS. I fell in love. The trigger is fantastic. A little better than my well worked over Glocks.

So I went and bought one Saturday. I believe there may be one left in Spokane.
Awsome! I want to shoot one!

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm

When they come out with one in 45 I'd be interested if they sold for the same price. By the way, "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole" And just like the Volks-wagen was "the People's Car"- this is the People's Pistol. The VP-70 was the first "People's Pistol except it was only for people with really strong index fingers because the trigger pull was about 19 pounds.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:12 pm

ron wrote:When they come out with one in 45 I'd be interested if they sold for the same price. By the way, "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole" And just like the Volks-wagen was "the People's Car"- this is the People's Pistol. The VP-70 was the first "People's Pistol except it was only for people with really strong index fingers because the trigger pull was about 19 pounds.
Nice, I did not know that was what the VP stood for.

I'm with you on that if they come out with one in 45, then that would be the way to go for me as well .
Now if they would just come out with one in 10mm, I would stand in line for that.

WickedWillis
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: HK MP5
Next Firearm: APC9 Pro

Post by WickedWillis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:
ron wrote:When they come out with one in 45 I'd be interested if they sold for the same price. By the way, "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole" And just like the Volks-wagen was "the People's Car"- this is the People's Pistol. The VP-70 was the first "People's Pistol except it was only for people with really strong index fingers because the trigger pull was about 19 pounds.
Nice, I did not know that was what the VP stood for.

I'm with you on that if they come out with one in 45, then that would be the way to go for me as well .
Now if they would just come out with one in 10mm, I would stand in line for that.
The only issue with 10mm is it has really become a niche round, and that is why many manufacturers stray away from it.
"There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs."

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:00 pm

The 10mm is becoming more popular by the day !

Just take a look in the "wanted firearms" section. First 3 or for pages I counted about 9 people posting they want a 10mm .

I bet if they came out with a polymer handgun in 10mm, especially a striker fired style one from a company like HK, it would sell well. There very well built, as are the Glocks.

WickedWillis
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by WickedWillis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Flawlessfoose wrote:The 10mm is becoming more popular by the day !

Just take a look in the "wanted firearms" section. First 3 or for pages I counted about 9 people posting they want a 10mm .

I bet if they came out with a polymer handgun in 10mm, especially a striker fired style one from a company like HK, it would sell well. There very well built, as are the Glocks.
Unless you are reloading, you cannot get the full potential of the 10mm. Sure the market is popular in out area, where caliber usually equals machismo and 10mm doesn't just kill your body, but your soul, but these other companies know what they are doing. That was a huge question S&W was asked when they came out with their M&P line, and really, they made the correct call IMO. Like I said, the round can be fantastic, but the factory loads are pretty much on the same plane as 45ACP, and 45ACP is much cheaper. And then the argument goes to Buffalo bore which is extremely over-pressured. In a skilled re-loader it's a great round, if you don't reload, I just don't see the point especially as a two legged predator defense cartridge, over-penetration is too prevalent.
"There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs."

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Actually there are several manufactures that sell true 10mm spec loads. Also, there multiple defense loads that won't over penetrate that are hot loads. You don't have to reload it if you don't want to, but it does help.

But your right, off the shelf 10mm is water'd down to about .40 short&weak.

Back on topic, I sure can't wait to see one of these in 45acp, hopefully the same size or close to this 9mm.

WickedWillis
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by WickedWillis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Flawlessfoose wrote:
Back on topic, I sure can't wait to see one of these in 45acp, hopefully the same size or close to this 9mm.
If they do come out with a VP45 around the same size as the VP9, and the same capacity as the HK45 it would sell like freaking crazy. I might even buy one to go along with my HK45 if they keep the magazines the same.
Last edited by WickedWillis on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:22 pm

WickedWillis wrote:
Flawlessfoose wrote:
If they do come out with a VP45 around the same size as the VP9, and the same capacity as the HK45 it would sell like freaking crazy. I might even but one to go along with my HK45 if they keep the magazines the same.
+1 on that :)

10mmshooter
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by 10mmshooter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:51 am

After a couple of weeks with my VP9 I can say HK has built a winner.

Ordering a threaded barrel next week.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am

WickedWillis wrote: as a two legged predator defense cartridge, over-penetration is too prevalent.
Not with the right loads and not in every situation. I live out in the country and If I have to shoot someone in my house I don't really care if any of the bullets I'm firing make holes in my walls and travel another 25-30 yards beyond those walls after they pass through some worthless ill-bred scumbag recidivist who's trying to kill me. And a 10mm is not going to be the gun I carry with me out in public where over-penetration is much more of a concern. For CC, I want something smaller and more compact than a 10mm that is comfortable for carry 24-7-365.

And I also don't think there's anything wrong with using 40 S&W equivalent loads in a 10mm If over-penetration (or muzzle blast, recoil, controllability) were a concern. I know that most people are quick to say, "Well if you're going to shoot .40 loads out of a 10mm, you might as well not even HAVE a 10mm!" I disagree. With the 10mm you have the option of using a wider variety of loads for whatever situation is appropriate and you can even have more than one type of load in that 15 round magazine.

And the other thing is if you own a 10mm it doesn't have to be the only gun that you own which has to serve every purpose that you need a gun for. That's why guns like this new HK are so interesting. I really like the looks of it and everything that I'm hearing about it.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:30 pm

10mmshooter wrote:After a couple of weeks with my VP9 I can say HK has built a winner.

Ordering a threaded barrel next week.
Awesome, that is good to hear.

Is there any at some local shops to go fondle ?

10mmshooter
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by 10mmshooter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Double Eagle on Francis had two, that's where I got mine. Best price anywhere.

Sharp Shooting has a rental if you want to try one out.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:49 pm

10mmshooter wrote:Double Eagle on Francis had two, that's where I got mine. Best price anywhere.

Sharp Shooting has a rental if you want to try one out.
Thanks, just bought one there myself today!!

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:39 am

HK has now released this handgun in .40

We have the new VP40 now available !

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-hk- ... 00-rounds/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/heckler ... available/

WickedWillis
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by WickedWillis » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Flawlessfoose wrote:HK has now released this handgun in .40

We have the new VP40 now available !

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-hk- ... 00-rounds/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/heckler ... available/
The slide is a wee bit heavier than my VP9 (Which is good) trigger still feels great as well. I am hopeful the VP45 is released in the next 6-8 months