ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Innovative idea from Taurus

Post by ron » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:45 pm

I like the concept but not the execution of that concept. It's a stupit 380 instead of a proper 9mm and all the bulk of the built-in lights and lasers is self-defeating in a gun that you want to be as lightweight as possible even though I realize the idea is that it won't "Print" through clothing. even worse it has no fixed sights and they say that's so that it can be more "Snag-free" --as if it isn't possible to make snag-free sights on a handgun.

It also looks to me to be kind of thick for a single stack 380 compared to something like a 1920 browning in the same caliber which is about 3/4 of an inch in thickness while this gun looks to be more like an inch thick.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... Newsletter

Taurus Announces “The Curve” ‘Printless’ Handgun

Posted 7 days ago in Guns & Gear, Pistols by Nathaniel F with 79 Comments

Taurus has announced a new product for the concealed carry market. From the press release:

(Miami, FL) – Taurus®, the global leader in revolver manufacturing, is redefining the handgun category with its newest introduction. The new, patented CURVE is a body-contoured .380 ACP that changes everything about concealed carry – so comfortable it’s easy to wear – everyday.

Taurus tackled the challenge of designing a concealed carry handgun that is “print-free” as well as comfortable in any position on the body. Building a firearm with a curved grip frame was not an easy task. About the size of today’s smart phones, this little USA manufactured double-action only, semi-auto pistol packs 6+1 rounds in a highly concealable 5.18-inch package. Weighing in at 10.2 ounces, the CURVE combines innovation with functionality for close-quarter, personal security confidence when wearing this pistol. This curved polymer pistol has a carbon steel slide and a stainless steel barrel for increased reliability.

Taurus takes safety seriously and incorporated a loaded chamber indicator as well as integrated the Taurus Security System® for long term locking storage. Taurus also provides a trigger protector that is fast and easy to deploy with a built-in lanyard for use when using the holster-free belt clip.

Another industry-first, an integrated LaserLyte® LED light/laser combo system built within the frame makes for efficient target acquisition during most lighting scenarios. On the rear of the slide is the bore axis sighting system™ that is designed for instinctual point shooting at close distances. This subcompact handgun does not feature traditional sights to keep the concealed carry design smooth and snag-free. The textured grip and the low bore axis of this pistol deliver comfortable shooting and mild recoil.

“We challenged our engineers to develop a handgun that was comfortable to wear. We wanted it to be as comfortable as wearing a watch every day,” commented Sarah Perry, Director of Marketing. “We wanted a concealed carry firearm that was designed for wearing against the contours of your body. The engineers eagerly accepted the challenge and three years later and after much testing, we are beginning production of the Curve,” continued Perry.

Wearing the CURVE everyday provides the peace of mind needed for protecting yourself and your family in these uncertain times. Have the CURVE on your side – it’s the gun you wear!”

I suspect the deciding factor for this handgun won’t be related to the new theory of use it offers – but rather the price. If Taurus manages to produce the weapon for a cost appealing to a majority of consumers, it could find a place in the market. Otherwise, I suspect it will get lost among its competitors.

2180689 2180691

Taurus has set up a dedicated website for their new handgun. It appears to be primarily targeted at women, interestingly.

- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... LEIsh.dpuf
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

MisterB1
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Dan Wesson 1911

Re: Innovative idea from Taurus

Post by MisterB1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Glad they're thinking and innovating, but it's not for me. Sure seems to me that while a curved gun may fit nicer against the body, that it wouldn't necessarily fit nicely in the hand and shoot well. It's Taurus too. Will it even go off when the trigger is pulled?

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Re: Innovative idea from Taurus

Post by jr1982 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm disappointed that keltec and taurus seem to be the only manufacturers trying something new. Kel tec has some decent ideas but their guns look and feel like cheap chinese airsoft guns. Then taurus makes a revolver with a plexiglass side plate and this curved pistol. Very different ideas but they don't seem very appealing or practical.

Sig is the only top manufacturer that seems to be trying something new, the sig arm brace, the line of rifles they made with suppressor baffles as muzzle breaks and the 556xi.