Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Ruger Charger, new versions

Post by albin25 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:41 pm

I see Ruger is announcing a re-engineered Charger,

-Now has a standard A2 pistol grip
-Standard threaded barrel.
-Available as a takedown version

Any thoughts?

My first was ...I wonder if the short takedown Charger barrel will fit the takedown 10-22?
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Bourbon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park
State: WA

Re: Ruger Charger, new versions

Post by Bourbon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Gunblast.com has a review posted.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I have one of the older ones that I put a Desert Dog barrel on it that has the Bentz match chamber. Then I got a trigger kit from E Arthur Brown and had RLHas install it and fine-tune it. It's one of the most accurate 22's I've ever shot.

I figured they discontinued it because of poor sales, so now it looks like they've jazzed it up to see if the "New, Improved" Charger will sell better. I like the interchangeable pistol grip though I don't know if it would actually make the gun shoot any better. I also like the new 15 round mag for more flexible use with bipod and plan on getting one of those for my gun. I don't like the grooves on the forend an don't really see then need for them at all except for looks but I don't like the looks of them either. This is basically a heavy gun with light recoil and to shoot it accurately, whatever way you can position the gun and hold it steady isn't all that hard to accomplish and I don't know that it needed a different fore-end and grip to be able to accomplish that, But I would like to try one of these new ones to compare it to the old model.

I also don't see why a gun with a ten inch barrel needs to be a take-down except maybe if you mounted a can on it, but with all these new additions I can clearly see that the main reason behind all these "enhancements" is the result of some very perceptive market research and if it means that Ruger is more in tune with their customer base and can stay in business and sell more guns and keep coming up with new ideas, its all good.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Spokane
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Savage .17 SS Bull
Next Firearm: Something fun

Post by Spokane » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Pretty cool. White Elephant on Div. had one a few years ago and I've never seen a reasonable priced one since.
“Conservatives divide the world in terms of good and evil while liberals do it in terms of rich and poor.” - Dennis Prager

Pacific5th
Serious Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Depends...
Next Firearm: To many.

Post by Pacific5th » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm

You know, cause screw it I wanted one. Thanks Frank at Protection First.

Steelhead guy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: HK USP 45C
Next Firearm: Marlin Lever gun

Post by Steelhead guy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Nice looking charger Pacific5th, what are your first impressions? I was thinking about getting one too.

Pacific5th
Serious Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Depends...
Next Firearm: To many.

Post by Pacific5th » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:08 pm

I am really happy with it so far. Tomorrow I will shoot it. I like the new 15 round mag and bipod is not bad. The takedown has a better bipod but this one mounts to the rail which I do like. There are a few imperfections with the stock but nothing that will make me send it back. I might replace the grip with a Hogue AR grip but will try this one first. The TRS-25 came off my 10/22 and I think it will stay on the Charger. I will get some close up pics later.

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Coug91 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 am

[quote="albin25"]I see Ruger is announcing a re-engineered Charger,

-Now has a standard A2 pistol grip
-Standard threaded barrel.
-Available as a takedown version

Any thoughts?

My first was ...I wonder if the short takedown Charger barrel will fit the takedown 10-22?[/quote]

Why not just SBR a 10/22? KIDD has their pistol barrels on sale for $90. An F1 tax stamp is $200 and 30-45 days. Much less trouble than getting fed's and lawyers involved.
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

Spokane
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Savage .17 SS Bull
Next Firearm: Something fun

Post by Spokane » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 am

Frank got me too... :D :D

On the bi-pod - In the marketing picture they look the same, but the take-down bi-pod looks different than yours and the marketing material?

I think I will scope it. Are the BSA Edge series any good?

“Conservatives divide the world in terms of good and evil while liberals do it in terms of rich and poor.” - Dennis Prager

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Interesting looking toy. Looks like fun. It just makes my head spin to think that this gun describes the complete idiocy of the ATF and our federal government. There is no mechanical reason why you could not manufacture an absolutely identical piece from any existing 10-22. You could have an identical stock, identical barrel, same magazines, etc. Only problem would be that it would be considered an illegal and highly dangerous "short rifle". But if you make it from scratch at the same factory, from a receiver made on the same assembly line as the rifle recievers, with a shortened rifle barrel and from wood that would otherwise have gone to a rifle, then you have a perfectly legal and safe pistol. Amazing.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's

Post by Coug91 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:43 pm

scrappy wrote:Interesting looking toy. Looks like fun. It just makes my head spin to think that this gun describes the complete idiocy of the ATF and our federal government. There is no mechanical reason why you could not manufacture an absolutely identical piece from any existing 10-22. You could have an identical stock, identical barrel, same magazines, etc. Only problem would be that it would be considered an illegal and highly dangerous "short rifle". But if you make it from scratch at the same factory, from a receiver made on the same assembly line as the rifle recievers, with a shortened rifle barrel and from wood that would otherwise have gone to a rifle, then you have a perfectly legal and safe pistol. Amazing.

Egg sack lee
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 am

scrappy wrote:Interesting looking toy. Looks like fun. It just makes my head spin to think that this gun describes the complete idiocy of the ATF and our federal government. There is no mechanical reason why you could not manufacture an absolutely identical piece from any existing 10-22. You could have an identical stock, identical barrel, same magazines, etc. Only problem would be that it would be considered an illegal and highly dangerous "short rifle". But if you make it from scratch at the same factory, from a receiver made on the same assembly line as the rifle recievers, with a shortened rifle barrel and from wood that would otherwise have gone to a rifle, then you have a perfectly legal and safe pistol. Amazing.

Sig has a new AR "pistol" that has a "stock-that-is-not-a-stock" which Sig calls a "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" and those batty "Bat-men" at the BATF liked the euphemism "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" so much that they approved it. :o You see, The Feds like euphemisms a whole lot. it's like the word "Reasonable" when it comes to "reasonable gun control". In that instance, the word reasonable is a euphemism for the word "More". And also like when Barack Insane Obama ends a statement with the word "Period", period is a euphemism for the words, "Not Really" as in- "If you like the health care plan you have now, you can keep it, PERIOD." (not really) Or- "I will not rest until those responsible are brought to justice, (Bengazi, Boston Marathon) PERIOD." (not really) ...It's kinda like the old gag of crossing your fingers behind your back when you tell a lie.

And so what does the "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" look like? It looks and functions EXACTLY like an A4 collapsible stock if it were pernanabtly pinned in it's fully collapsed (shortest OAL) position.

Ok so if that's the case shouldn't anyone be able to pin any A4 stock in it's shortest position and put it on any AR pistol and call it an "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" and have it be a legal SBR, I mean, "Pistol"? And also someone needs to make an aftermarket "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" for the 10-22 Charger and also my G20 10mm Glock and maybe even my 6 inch 357 magnum N-frame Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway patrolman. The only question is whether the "Pistol Stabilizing Brace" can be detachable as it is with the SIG which I see is attached to the receiver with a threaded connector which in fact is detachable.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... brace.aspx
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla
State: ID

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 am

I picked up one yesterday fro Ron Ronco at River city Pawn in Post Falls. What a neat gun. I can wait to take it out and run a few rounds through it. I'll post my thoughts on it after I give it a rundown. I do think I need to apply for a can for it.:-)

BTW, Ron Ronco at Rivercity pawn is a great guy, he allways has fair prices on firearms,ammo, and accessories. He is one of the first SGT members and he got me introduced to SGT back when it was new.

steve716
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: H&K VP40 LE

Post by steve716 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 am

I also picked up my Charger from Ron this week. Haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. Hoping for better weather. Looking for a scope for this fine beauty.
A big Thank you to Ron @ River City Pawn. He is an outstanding guy. Thanks again Ron :D :D

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:27 pm

I put 30 rounds through it. Even with a 20.00 red dot I could hit a 8" x 8". Plate at 60 yards. I'm very impressed. Ten tons of fun!