Looking for new CCW pistol

Discuss all things Handguns...
nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Next Firearm: Barrett

Looking for new CCW pistol

Post by nivlak » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm

So been looking and wondering what some of your opinions are on either a Sig P938 or S&W M&P shield. Both chambered in 9mm. The Sig seems to have the size (primarily for warm weather shorts and t-shirt carry), weight (being lighter and metal frame), and of course costing about twice as much. Heard great things about both but help me choose. Thanks guys

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Looking for new CCW pistol

Post by ron » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:24 am

it depends on which mode of carry that you prefer. And either mode of carry requires training. The only way to carry the Sig is cocked and locked but you have to train until swiping off the safety with your thumb, is ONLY done when your sights are on the target before pulling the trigger until that action becomes instinctive.

And for anything that you practice to become instinctive, muscle memory requires 3,000 to 5,000 repetitions to make any physical action become automatic.

And as far as the Shield, I've shot one and would say that it has better "Ergonomics" than the Sig P938 which I've handled but never fired. In other words it fits the hand better or at least my hands anyway, but you should at least handle both guns and see which gun fits your hand and "points" the best. Training requirements with a DA-only striker fired pistol is generally more instinctive to begin with but because there's no safety you have to remember to swipe off. But some manufacturers add a safety and defeat the reasoning behind a DA only handgun. Fortunately the Shield is available without the extra added safety (safety delete) and snap-caps are available for training purposes.

Glocks do not have this additional safety and so the NYPD decided years ago that it needed a heavier trigger with about a 9 pound pull to be as safe as a DA-only revolver. I've gone the other way with the Glocks that I carry and made the trigger lighter and this makes the gun more dangerous but guns are supposed to be dangerous or otherwise they wouldn't be as effective as they are as weapons, but what makes them more dangerous is when people think that a safety makes them safe and that causes them to treat them casually as if they were no longer dangerous. With my Glocks I am constantly aware of the fact that I'm carrying a loaded gun and how easy it is to make them fire and I have a healthy respect for them.

So the training that's just as important with the Shield or Glock as the training required with the Sig or any SA 1911 type handgun is to practice drawing and presenting the gun while keeping your finger OUT of the trigger guard until the moment your sights are on target which is useful training for ALL firearms at ALL times even ones that are supposedly not loaded.

And as far as the price difference, you need to put that issue aside while carefully evaluating both handguns and first try to make an objective and honest assessment of which one is really best for you. If it's possible to rent either gun at a firing range, do so, but otherwise at least be able to carefully examine both pistols up close and personal.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

HH375HH
City: Spokane, Wa
Favorite Firearm: All
Next Firearm: Any

Post by HH375HH » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 am

I personally love my p938 and wouldn't trade it for anything as far as my edc. I had an m&p shield in 40 and although it felt good in the hand and seemed reliable I just was never happy with the gun. Every person is different though and until you handle each you won't know. Hope you find one that works for you

greatbob6
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: CZ P-09
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by greatbob6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Sharp shooting has both of those and more available for rent. I would suggest going on a free rental night and trying both. Note, you have to buy their ammo to use with rentals. I've been checking out small single stack 9s recently and found that some may feel good in the hand but don't feel good when shooting. Both the p938 and Glock 43 felt good in my hand but when shooting they put uncomfortable pressure in certain spots on my hand. Personally, of all of those types of guns I have tried, I found I like the ruger lc9s the best. They have a really nice trigger in my opinion.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:48 pm

It's a very personal choice, and here is my take.
I've had 3 shields, two 9s and one 40.
And one P938
I prefer the feel of the Sheild in the hand over the p938 but when it comes to shooting, the p938 shoots better for me.
It is snappy, but doesn't affect my follow up shots.
The shield shoots very nice as well and is more mild in recoil "9mm", but has a higher bore axis...
Also the shield is bigger, and that makes it not as nice to carry as the p938.
Ultimately I kept the P938, because of the size, weight, and my shooting ability with it.
I would prefer a striker fire style for the simple pull and fire, but I actually feel more comfortable with the p938 cocked and locked for carry.
Plus the little sig is sexier

WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

HH375HH

Post by HH375HH » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Either sharpshooters or if We're both available next weekend I'm always up to go shooting and you can try my p938 and maybe another member with a shield could join in. My sig does have mainspring upgrade and different trigger but that was just to drop trigger pull weight down a bit. Let me know. It sucks to spend that money on something that feels good in the hand and not so much to shoot

HH375HH

Post by HH375HH » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Also I have a hk p30sk which a little bulkier is also a phenomenal gun and is priced around the p938 if not a little cheaper depending where you find it. Mine was $579 with night sights which really isn't bad however it is a double stack making it a little larger but it is still in my edc rotation. Plus the sa/da with decocker is always nice in my opinion

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:19 am

HH375HH wrote:Either sharpshooters or if We're both available next weekend I'm always up to go shooting and you can try my p938 and maybe another member with a shield could join in. My sig does have mainspring upgrade and different trigger but that was just to drop trigger pull weight down a bit. Let me know. It sucks to spend that money on something that feels good in the hand and not so much to shoot
I have a Shield in 9mm and am looking for an excuse to put down the chain saw and go shooting. I'm available this weekend if you guys want to meet up.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:40 pm

The micro 1911 SIGs are great, and honestly having handled and shot an S&W shield Im not impressed.

mauser54
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Silsbee
State: Texas
Favorite Firearm: Ones that i own
Next Firearm: What ever tickles me
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by mauser54 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:05 pm

The KAHR CCW pistols are a great choice also. My EDC is a KAHR cw9 loaded with HP's and a Viridian green dot laser attatched.. Less than an inch wide. Very comftable to carry feels great in the hand, a natural pointer, and very accurate to shoot. I love mine. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Gunsmith Graduate with Degree
30 years experience
General firearm repair
DuraCoating service
Customizing firearms.
Contact me by:
- Pm through SGT
- Email - mauser54@yahoo.com

"Second Amendment" America's Original Homeland Security

"The criminal needs to be taught to fear his victim"
Jeff Cooper