roger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Re: EDC HANDGUN

Post by roger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Grace_Hunter07 wrote:Pocket carry is foolish and lazy...I encourage everyone I meet to carry that way...Gives me the upper hand all the time, every time.
I couldn't disagree more. I can draw my LCP from my pocket just as fast as simply pulling my hand out from it. The LCP is usually second to my OWB carried Glock but I have had occasions where I had a hand in the pocket ready to draw if need be, but still able not to cause panic not needed. As to where my OWB carry would have taken longer or been more obvious to be ready to draw.

OldBenz
Rookie Member
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: Browning Hi-Power
Next Firearm: Sig P238

Post by OldBenz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Wh1skey6 wrote:I have too many things in my pockets (phone, wallet, knife, keys) so pocket carry is out for me. Single stack semi-autos have been what I stick to.

M&P Shield or Bodyguard
Ruger LCP/LCP9
Keltec PF9
Springfield XDs or XDe

Carry the most gun you can conceal comfortably. If you are not comfortable wearing it, you are less likely to WANT to carry it. Also go rent before you buy. I did not. Why should I spend $10-$20 renting a gun when I should just drop $400 - $500 and not like my choice? :) Don't be like me.
Good advice, especially on renting before purchase. I was looking to replace my PPK with something lighter and smaller. I had tried small frame Glocks and Rugers before. Went to SS and tried a Shield but wanted to go smaller yet. Rented a Bodyguard, but after repeated malfunctions and issues putting consistent shots on target where I wanted them, I decided to up the ante. I swapped the Bodyguard out for a Sig P238 and proceeded to like, like, and like some more. Just the super basic P238. Twice the price, but a better feel, better follow-up shot response, better quality, better trigger, and a ton more confidence. Shots went right where I wanted them. I wear the P238 everyday. I changed habits and moved my keys to a jacket pocket and carry the P238 in my front right pants pocket, as it is small and light enough to do so, with a reload in my left pocket. Everyday, everywhere I go (that is legal to do so). I do throw a holster in my laptop bag in case I decide to switch it up, but haven't used it for months.

Basically, I learned for EDC to not go cheap. I went with quality and don't regret forking out double the money one tiny little bit.
Steve

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

Post by EWU92 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm

So I bought a Smith and Wesson 638-3 airweight used from a pawnshop. Also found 2 boxes of Law Enforcement Only 38 special +P+ ammo that will last me a good long while. It's not feasible for me to carry a holstered weapon all the time. The airweight is easily concealed in my right front pocket in the Tagua pocket holster I purchased. For years I carried various Beretta 21 A pistols in 22 LR. Wanted something a little spicier so this is it.
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 am

EWU92 wrote:So I bought a Smith and Wesson 638-3 airweight used from a pawnshop. Also found 2 boxes of Law Enforcement Only 38 special +P+ ammo that will last me a good long while. It's not feasible for me to carry a holstered weapon all the time. The airweight is easily concealed in my right front pocket in the Tagua pocket holster I purchased. For years I carried various Beretta 21 A pistols in 22 LR. Wanted something a little spicier so this is it.

That’s a great choice, I always liked the 638’s accessible hammer giving the choice of single action shooting along with good snag-free drawing from your pocket. Those +p+’s are going to be a “handful” in that lightweight revolver. :D

cesseltine
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Twin Lakes
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Like em all
Next Firearm: What I can trade for

Post by cesseltine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:15 pm

I have several guns that I can carry, a glock 42, a 9mm shield, glock 30, and S&W 360. The S&W started out as a 360J in 38 special and has a scadium frame with a steal cylinder. I couldn't find any info on it so I called S&W and the guy said it was a contract over run and it was a 357 frame with a 38 cylinder, I asked him if I could put a 357 cylinder in it and he said yes. I got a titanium 357 cylinder put on it and now have a 11.7 (by my scale) 357. With the original grip is is not to bad with 124g 357, but I tried a pair of wood boot grips and got 3 rounds fired before recoil was too much. I use this when hiking close to the city, behind the falls in post falls and tubs hill, but more and more this is what gets dropped in my pocket for quick trips to the store or pick up kids at night. I can stick this in my pocket when mountain biking and don't even notice it. Only down side to this other then 357 ballistics suffering from short barrel is I don't carry this at night, you should see the fireball from the muzzle flash, I haven't tried reduced flash loads. Overall I think it is hard to beat a J frame for carry.
You never overpay for a gun, sometimes the value just hasn't cought up to the price