Lead ball
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SA 1911
Next Firearm: Black Powder

One gun option

Post by Lead ball » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Okay here are my options I can only have one gun and three to chose from there going to be used for home defence trail walking and survival
Tiger supper black hawk 4- 5/8 44 mag
Glock gen 3 21
Sig 226
What would be your choice and why thanks

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: One gun option

Post by Call Turner » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:51 am

Revolvers do not jam in an emergency. just my .02 cents
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Mossy
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: The one I sold

Post by Mossy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:00 am

Lead ball wrote:Okay here are my options I can only have one gun and three to chose from there going to be used for home defence trail walking and survival
Glock gen 3 21
Sig 226

Wife get into your safe? :lol:
A big thanks to fellow veterans and active duty personnel/family for your sacrifice of this country

Waterdog
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 50 cal. Knight
Next Firearm: One i dont have...

Post by Waterdog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 am

Call Turner wrote:Revolvers do not jam in an emergency. just my .02 cents
^ +1 ^

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
Next Firearm: Barrett

Post by nivlak » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:06 am

Mossy wrote:

Wife get into your safe? :lol:
:lol:

I would go gen 3 g21 but that is just me. Having 13 45ACP is better than half that in 44mag. Plus I like 45acp...

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 am

Glock Gen 3 G21 45 ACP hands-down.

1. Glocks do not jam in an emergency as long as the ammo is good and then it takes very little time to clear the jam especially if you practice "Tap, Rack, Bang" drills with dummy cartridges. Training and mindset is actually more important than what gun you use. A misfire with a revolver can take time as well, depending on how you react to it, although pulling the trigger again is pretty instinctive. And Glocks are instinctive to operate much like a DA revolver only with a better trigger.

2. The 45 ACP is a proven manstopper (WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf Wars I and II) and with the right loads* it will penetrate a bear's skull and shut down it's central nervous system. And for attacks by wolves or packs of wild dogs, a 13+1 ammo capacity is a plus. Additionally the 45 Auto is a low pressure round and for defensive use in enclosed spaces firing it without ear protection it will not make you temporarily deaf and blind and the gun also has a light rail.

*https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=214
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 am

ron wrote:Glock Gen 3 G21 45 ACP hands-down.

1. Glocks do not jam in an emergency as long as the ammo is good and then it takes very little time to clear the jam especially if you practice "Tap, Rack, Bang" drills with dummy cartridges. Training and mindset is actually more important than what gun you use. A misfire with a revolver can take time as well, depending on how you react to it, although pulling the trigger again is pretty instinctive. And Glocks are instinctive to operate much like a DA revolver only with a better trigger.

2. The 45 ACP is a proven manstopper (WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf Wars I and II) and with the right loads* it will penetrate a bear's skull and shut down it's central nervous system. And for attacks by wolves or packs of wild dogs, a 13+1 ammo capacity is a plus. Additionally the 45 Auto is a low pressure round and for defensive use in enclosed spaces firing it without ear protection it will not make you temporarily deaf and blind and the gun also has a light rail.

I second this!!
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:18 pm

scrappy wrote:
ron wrote:Glock Gen 3 G21 45 ACP hands-down.

I second this!!
And I will 3rd this lol.
Basically sums it up
Right now, my preferred trail gun is my TRP 1911 with the Buffalo bore 255 GR HCFP +p
That is always subject to change but 45 acp with the right loads works for most any encounter around these parts,
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RLHas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:57 am

Somehow I'm compelled to agree with the Glock!!!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:57 am

The one thing I DON'T agree with is that anyone should have only ONE gun. I have a Glock AND a Ruger Blackhawk. The Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are Superb handguns. Very few moving parts, over-engineered for strength, very reliable, accurate, and well-balanced. The adjustable sight models have a better sight picture than the fixed sight models but on any of the adjustable sight guns that I've ever owned I can't remember ever having to adjust the sights on any of them more than once and most sights were right on target right out of the box.

Some people seem the think that single actions are not suitable for defensive purposes but in a stress situation "Adrenaline Assist" tends to greatly aid rapid follow-up shots. 8-)
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Abruzzi
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: S&W
Next Firearm: Masquelier

Post by Abruzzi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Tiger supper black hawk...
Tiger supper?

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Abruzzi wrote:
Tiger supper black hawk...
Tiger supper?

The Tiger supper black hawk is a special edition 44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk that's meant to be carried in the Jungles of India to protect people from becoming Tiger Supper. It comes in a cerekoted yellow and black stripped finish :D

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm

I would say either the Glock or the SIG, SIG because they fit my hand better, Glock because its in a good caliber and its a proven platform. Also for what its worth modern combat autos are often times more reliable than most revolvers, I have had 1 Ruger, 2 Charters, and an NAA jam on me, so revolvers do indeed jam...

Dirknar
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: latest and greatest

Post by Dirknar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Out of those three, definitely the G21. Stoke it up with buffalo bore!

And revolvers do jam!
Few years ago, I bought a brand new ruger vaquero in 45lc. After Only a few times out, the cylinder got stuck and would not rotate.. I took it home, took it apart(very nervously) and found the culprit, was a stuck plunger tube on the pawl. It was marred up from the factory and not plunging like it was supposed to.. I filed it clean and reassembled and it worked great for as long as I owned it.

But it continues..

Few years later,, I bought a brand new Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44mag annv. And what do ya know.. shortly after, it did the same damn thing.. cylinder would not rotate one time while out hiking and plinking.. I was a little pissed but a little relieved that I had become pretty efficient at taking these rulers apart. This one was just REALLY dirty and fairly rusty inside.. which was lame. But cleaned everything up, polished all touching parts (except trigger sears) and got it running real smooth and efficient. Still own this one.

Dirknar
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: latest and greatest

Post by Dirknar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:51 am

Dug up an old pic.

JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Next Firearm: M1 Carbine
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by JasonH » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:31 am

Lead ball wrote: to be used for home defence trail walking and survival
Glock gen 3 21
Sig 226
Given your uses, I would have to say go for the glock.

The glock, is normally a point and click device. Rarely do they jam or FTF.
.45ACP is a fairly useful caliber. proven history and easy to find
There are many wonderful options for ammo depending on the use.

Maintenance and Repair of the glock.
If you know how to set points in an old car, there is a very good chance you fix anything that could go wrong with it.
Most of the parts that you would ever need, are easily found at 100's of places

There is no shortage of holster options, mags, and other accessories for the glock.
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door to the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

-John R. Cash

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:03 pm

JasonH wrote:
Lead ball wrote: to be used for home defence trail walking and survival
Glock gen 3 21
Sig 226
Given your uses, I would have to say go for the glock.

The glock, is normally a point and click device. Rarely do they jam or FTF.
.45ACP is a fairly useful caliber. proven history and easy to find
There are many wonderful options for ammo depending on the use.

Maintenance and Repair of the glock.
If you know how to set points in an old car, there is a very good chance you fix anything that could go wrong with it.
Most of the parts that you would ever need, are easily found at 100's of places

There is no shortage of holster options, mags, and other accessories for the glock.
Additionally, for the Glock 21 there is another option that moves it up a few notches closer to the 44 mag as a hunting/bear defense caliber. and that is if you get a barrel for it that is chambered in .40 Super. (Lone Wolf has a 6 inch barrel for $104.00)

The .40 super should actually be called the 10mm Super because it is a magnumized 10mm auto and not a magnumized 40 S&W. The parent case is the 45 Winchester magnum that was developed for use in the Wildey and the case is 988 inches (25.1 mm) and Max OAL is 1.270 so that it will feed out of a Glock 21 magazine. Underwood makes a bear defense load that drives a 220 grain bullet at 1350 fps/891 fpe and a conventional hunting load using a Hornady XTPHP that develops 1400 fps/ 871 ft. lbs. I've never fired a Glock with a 40 super barrel but supposedly the recoil is pretty stiff. But my Glock 20 in 10mm is easily controllable with even the hottest loads so a G20 may be a better choice than a G21 with either a 40 super barrel or a 460 Roland conversion. Underwood makes a 220 grain bear load that develops 1200 fps/703 fpe. Buffalo Bore has a similar load and I have tried both and either one works well.

As much as I like the 44 Blackhawk, and as much as I think a single action revolver is as viable an option as a double action, (having seen Bob Mundon shoot a single action) my Glock 20SF in 10mm is my personal choice for a woods gun that I would pick over my 4 inch Smith and Wesson model 58 in 41 Magnum because of the greater ammo capacity of the Glock in spite of the fact that the 41 Mag has better ballistics.

BigDeeeeeeee
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hauser
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Blaser F3
Next Firearm: CZ TSO or Sig P210

Post by BigDeeeeeeee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:15 pm

I have a Sig 226 sao that I really like but if It came down to just one I'd probably take the Glock. I'd get a 10mm conversion for it too.
Darren

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

BigDeeeeeeee wrote:I have a Sig 226 sao that I really like but if It came down to just one I'd probably take the Glock. I'd get a 10mm conversion for it too.
Conversions are tricky. It usually takes some tuning to make them work reliably and most are not truly "Drop-ins" except for the Clarke 460 Rowland conversions for the 1911, and another exception being that I bought a KKM 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 that works flawlessly, as does a 357 Sig barrel for the same gun, but that isn't really a Conversion barrel, though they say that some 40 mags won't work with 357 sig, but I have both a fairly new .40 Glock 23 mag and an older "Law Enforcement Only" G23 mag and they both work perfectly with 2 brands of 357 sig ammo.

But as far as the 10mm conversion for the Glock 21, this was thoroughly hashed out on the Glock forum and one member got it figured out pretty good. And while it's not a drop-in with just a barrel swap, it doesn't require too many additional changes to make it work reliably but you need to be aware of what those changes are if you ever do the conversion. KKM sells a whole kit that comes with a different extractor and extractor spring that will work with both 45 ACP and 10mm auto. From my experience with KKM, and the other SGT member's experience with the 45-tp10 KKM kit,I would say that that the complete KKM package would be the way to go for converting a model 21 to 10mm.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=105219

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 am

Also agree that of the three, the Glock 21 would be your best choice for an all around gun. And caliber conversions are an option as Ron points out, but there's also some .45 auto ammunition choices that can give the .45 acp a little more oomph for woods use. Buffalo Bore makes a 255 grain hard cast flat nose at 925 fps, as an example. That puts the .45 acp into moderate .44 spl or .45 Colt territory. 240-250 grain bullets at 900 fps have a great reputation for putting down pretty big things. While I and others have found that some of the BB loadings might be a little on the over pressure side, the Glock should be able to handle a small amount of it. Even one of the bonded 230 grain loads from Speer, Winchester, etc., at 900 fps +/-, should do fairly well on anything short of a big bear, (and plenty of those have been stopped with similar if luck is on your side).

I've actually had similar discussions with a couple guys that really know a bunch about woods guns, Randy Garrett and John Taffin. Both of them said a moderate loading of a good penetrating bullet, (hard cast or bonded), that will break bones and keep going, was the best choice for woods use for most shooters. Being able to shoot quickly and accurately, beats a powerhouse that you can't control for fast followup shots.

A lot of guys that are carrying hot .44 mags and .454's, can't shoot them well slowfire at the range, much less quickly at a fast moving target, despite being legends in their own minds.....

****edit**** I see Flawlessfoose beat me to the punch....