Discuss all things Handguns...
John E Davies
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them

Ruger LCP II in stores yet?

Post by John E Davies » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am

Ruger has a new version of their mouse gun, the LCP II. Has anyone seen one of these in a store yet? Pricing? MSRP is $349, so I am thinking a decent street price is going to be maybe $275... ?

http://ruger.com/products/lcpII/models.html

I have been carrying a P3-AT as a BUG for so long that I think this is finally going to force that little guy into permanent retirement. I think this new gun actually looks pretty good compared to th older versions.

Thanks,

John Davies

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Ruger LCP II in stores yet?

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:36 am

I don't think it is at the stores yet. It was nice when they announced it and blew out the LCP. I picked up 2 of the customs at a steal.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Unless I am mistaken, it looks like it is in at least ONE local store....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107826
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

John E Davies
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by John E Davies » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:46 pm

BC38 wrote:Unless I am mistaken, it looks like it is in at least ONE local store....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107826
LOL, that ad popped up here an hour after I started this thread. I bet Double Eagle has got some, I will drop by the Francis store the next time I am near.

BTW this is still a hammer fired pistol, not striker fired as described in the above ad.

John Davies

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:06 pm

John E Davies wrote: LOL, that ad popped up here an hour after I started this thread. I bet Double Eagle has got some, I will drop by the Francis store the next time I am near.

BTW this is still a hammer fired pistol, not striker fired as described in the above ad.

John Davies
Like the first gen LC9?
I haven't really figured out why everyone seems to be going with the striker-fired designs like the LC9s.
Their triggers are too light to be an effective safety IMO, so they add the goofy little plastic trigger-safety-mechanism to compensate - and that's just one more moving part to break and make the gun that much more complicated.
What's wrong with a long, firm trigger pull on an SD gun? It provides enough of a safety to not need an external manual safety - just like with a DA revolver.
That just works for me. So needless to say, I'm not a big fan of the striker-fired designs.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 pm

BC38 wrote:
John E Davies wrote: LOL, that ad popped up here an hour after I started this thread. I bet Double Eagle has got some, I will drop by the Francis store the next time I am near.

John Davies
Like the first gen LC9?
I haven't really figured out why everyone seems to be going with the striker-fired designs like the LC9s.
Their triggers are too light to be an effective safety IMO, so they add the goofy little plastic trigger-safety-mechanism to compensate - and that's just one more moving part to break and make the gun that much more complicated.
What's wrong with a long, firm trigger pull on an SD gun? It provides enough of a safety to not need an external manual safety - just like with a DA revolver.
That just works for me. So needless to say, I'm not a big fan of the striker-fired designs.
The first gen LCP is hammer fired and has a long and pretty firm trigger pull.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Seems to me the original LCP is slightly more compact. I'd want to know that the LCP II had a better trigger before I'd "Upgrade" from an LCP to an LCP II. I've been thinking about getting one so I need to know what these new LCP's are like to shoot compared to the old ones before I decide w3hich one I want. I don't especially like the looks of the new one either. I've read a couple of reviews and supposedly it's easier to rack the slide on the new gun and it supposedly DOES have a lighter trigger pull.

Unlike BC38, I have no problem with striker fired guns as long as they have a decent trigger. I never liked Glock triggers until I shot one that had been tuned by The Glock Doc. Now I own 2 Glocks and both have better triggers. As far as safety, a "Better" trigger is a lighter trigger and a more dangerous trigger. But my problem with safeties is that they make people think the gun is not dangerous with the safety on. I know how dangerous my guns are and I treat them accordingly.

As far as the Glock-style trigger safety lever, I've never heard of one malfunctioning on a Glock and I don't really see what could go wrong that would render the gun inoperable that couldn't be overcome by extra pressure on the trigger to break it loose if it somehow got "Stuck"

Ruger LCP II

Height: 3.71”
Width: 0.91”
Overall Length: 5.17”
Weight: 10.6 ozs.
Barrel length: 2.75” Rifling: six-groove, 1:16” RH twist

Ruger LCP

Height 3.6 in
Width .82 in
Overall Length 5.16 in
Weight 9.4 oz
Barrel length 2.75 in
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:28 pm

thumpar wrote:
BC38 wrote:

John Davies
Like the first gen LC9?
The first gen LCP is hammer fired and has a long and pretty firm trigger pull.
Yeah, that's what I was saying - that the new LCP II is still an internal-hammer fired, like the first gen LC9. Neither of them are striker-fired like the LC9s,
And personally I prefer the hammer-fired over the striker-fired for the reasons I listed.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:35 pm

The main problem I see with the new gun is that it only ships with one mag, and I don't know if spare mags are available yet. every magazine-fed gun has to have a spare mag to keep it from becoming a single-shot. The old LCP mags will work in the new gun but will not hold open the slide. I also would prefer a magazine without the pinky extension but that's something I could fix with a file.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:00 pm

The first gen LCP I have is the custom with the red trigger. It is better than the regular LCP and the sights are better. It came with both flat and pinky mag plates. I don't know if the gen II will or not. The flat was better for me.

John E Davies
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by John E Davies » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 pm

ron wrote:The main problem I see with the new gun is that it only ships with one mag, and I don't know if spare mags are available yet.
They are listed at Shopruger.com for $35 each. Are they normally discounted at gun shops?

John Davies

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 pm

John E Davies wrote: They are listed at Shopruger.com for $35 each. Are they normally discounted at gun shops?

John Davies
Hey John, you sure the new version isn't striker-fired?
All the pictures I'm seeing show it having the little trigger-safety lever like the striker-fired pistols - something I haven't seen on any of the hammer-fired versions....

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm

BC38 wrote:
John E Davies wrote: They are listed at Shopruger.com for $35 each. Are they normally discounted at gun shops?

John Davies
Hey John, you sure the new version isn't striker-fired?
All the pictures I'm seeing show it having the little trigger-safety lever like the striker-fired pistols - something I haven't seen on any of the hammer-fired versions....
It is hammer fired. The trigger is just short on it. I don't like that idea on a pocket gun.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:47 pm

thumpar wrote:It is hammer fired. The trigger is just short on it. I don't like that idea on a pocket gun.
I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I am. I am talking about the little trigger-within-a-trigger safety - the thing the red arrow is pointing to in this picture. I don't recall seeing that on any kind of hammer-fired gun - just on the newer striker-fired guns. Of course I could be wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the first time :D
The explanation I have always heard for incorporating this type of trigger safety is that the striker-fired triggers are so much lighter, they need this extra safety feature to reduce the likelihood of something intruding into the trigger guard accidentally pushing the trigger far enough to fire the gun and cause an unintentional discharge during holstering etc.
Attachments
LCP-II.JPG
Last edited by BC38 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:11 pm

BC38 wrote:
thumpar wrote:It is hammer fired. The trigger is just short on it. I don't like that idea on a pocket gun.
I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I am. I am talking about the little trigger-within-a-trigger safety - the thing the red arrow is pointing to in this picture. I don't recall seeing that on any kind of hammer-fired gun - just on the newer striker-fired guns. Of course I could be wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the first time :D
The explanation I have always heard for incorporating this type of trigger safety is that the striker-fired triggers are so much lighter, they need this extra safety feature to reduce the likelihood of something intruding into the trigger guard accidentally pushing the triggerfar enough to fire the gun and cause an unintentional discharge during holstering etc.
I understand what you are referring to. This is from the Ruger site:

Improved sights for superior visibility. Fixed front and rear sights are integral to the slide, while the hammer is recessed within the slide.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:02 am

There is no reason why that kind of trigger "safety" can't be used on a hammer-fired rather than striker fired pistol. And from what I've been able to determine, the trigger pull on the LCP II is a pound lighter than the original LCP trigger pull which is probably why Ruger felt the need for the "Safe Action" trigger. These types of triggers have never caused problems in Glocks and the only way they can actually malfunction is if they no longer act as a passive safety and fail to prevent the trigger from being pulled.

And regardless the only real safety on any gun is a fully functioning BRAIN as a result of the requisite hours of training devoted to keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until the moment your sights are lined up with your target. But that skinny little piece of plastic just isn't stout enough to prevent the trigger from being pulled if it were to get stuck in the "Safe" position. And it wouldn't take much added pressure to push it out of the way.

My only objections to the new gun are it's looks, the forward slide serrations, which are especially dangerous on such a short-barreld gun, and the fact that spare factory mags are expensive compared to the standard LCP mags that sell for between 25 and thirty dollars. And older LCP mags will work in the gun, but they won't hold the slide open which is a feature that I like very much and consider a real improvement.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:54 pm

ron wrote:There is no reason why that kind of trigger "safety" can't be used on a hammer-fired rather than striker fired pistol. And from what I've been able to determine, the trigger pull on the LCP II is a pound lighter than the original LCP trigger pull which is probably why Ruger felt the need for the "Safe Action" trigger. These types of triggers have never caused problems in Glocks and the only way they can actually malfunction is if they no longer act as a passive safety and fail to prevent the trigger from being pulled.

And regardless the only real safety on any gun is a fully functioning BRAIN as a result of the requisite hours of training devoted to keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until the moment your sights are lined up with your target. But that skinny little piece of plastic just isn't stout enough to prevent the trigger from being pulled if it were to get stuck in the "Safe" position. And it wouldn't take much added pressure to push it out of the way.
I realize there is no reason they can't put that kind of safety on a hammer-fired gun. Just saying that I am not aware of any other hammer-fired guns that have it.

And yeah the operator is always the final safety. That doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of good reason to have a mechanical safety as well. Couldn't carry your M1911 cocked and locked if there was no way for it to be "locked", eh?

An additional safety mechanism on a gun with a light trigger - like a striker-fired poly pistola - is a good idea IMO. For a revolver or any other hammer fired gun with a long, fairly heavy trigger, there is less need for one.

I can also easily see something possibly getting jammed between the trigger safety and the trigger and keeping it from releasing. I wouldn't know whether it would be too weak to keep you from activating the trigger or not - I haven't shot any with that "feature". I'll just have to take your word for it that they aren't.
Last edited by BC38 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steelhead guy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: HK USP 45C
Next Firearm: Marlin Lever gun

Post by Steelhead guy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:20 pm

I was at double eagle on Francis today and they had a couple of these in stock, they where asking $289 if I'm not mistaken

John E Davies
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by John E Davies » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:47 am

I brought one home from DE on Francis. I don't normally buy an early serial number gun but sometimes a gun will just reach out and grab hold of you, and say "take me home now!"

Paid $299.99. I expect the price will drop after a few months. They have a bunch in back - they arrived yesterday - and mine was the first that they have sold. Three Gun Nuts has it cheaper but I buy most of my stuff from DE and they are very close to my house.

I _really_ like this gun compared to my old P3-AT. It isn't as dramatic a difference compared to the last gen LCP. But it is a darned nice little gun. It is compact but feels and operates like a real firearm now, instead of a cheap plastic doodad that happens to fire bullets. The trigger is sort of SA, but it is in no way light. It just has a great feel with a short reset, because the slide recocks the hammer part way. I think you could take the trigger blade off and toss it in the box, but you would be opening yourself up to problems if you ever came to court after using it.

Handle one and you will be impressed. I think they will sell a boat load of these, especially as Christmas gifts.

Mine came with a 20% off Accessories coupon so I may order a mag from Shop Ruger.

I also bought a box of Ruger ARX .380 ACP 56 gr ammo to try. I am curious about how it runs in this gun and if it reduces the recoil noticeably. It is noticeably light weight ammo and will make carrying this gun even better, if it works as described in the reviews

John Davies
Spokane WA

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:51 am

:lol: Anyone here notice how many ruger lcp just popped up for sale. Everyone is wanting the new and improved version I guess.
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .