wolfsemtex
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: AR
Next Firearm: ak

How is the R51 now?

Post by wolfsemtex » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Looking for firsthand accounts of the updated Remington R51. Did they fix it or is it still junk?
We know a little about a lot of things, just enough to make us dangerous.

Bourbon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park

Re: How is the R51 now?

Post by Bourbon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

The May issue of Shooting Times has a review.

Moscow
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane

Post by Moscow » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

My brother has one of the new ones. I shot it a few months ago and was impressed by its smoothness and low felt recoil. The slide is much lower than other similar guns, and, as I had read in various reviews, it might cut you if your grip is a bit high. I can attest to the truth in these reports. It did indeed leave me dripping blood from my thumb. :-( I felt like an idiot. last time I did that was my first experience with a 1911 about 30 years ago.

I would buy a R51 with no qualms whatsoever. Fit and finish is great, function is slick, and the overall appearance is very very cool.

Drewbanski
Gun Trader
City: Spokane, Washington
Favorite Firearm: Savage Mark II FV-SR
Next Firearm: DW Bruin

Post by Drewbanski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:58 pm

The "gen2" R51's are better but can be picky when it comes to ammo. They tend to have issues with steel cased ammunition, and when under 1000 rounds, also have issues with 115gr range ammo. But, after about 1000 rounds that seems to clear up. They seem to like any +P ammo and the heavier (124gr and heavier) ball ammo.
Would I buy one? Possibly. But, I would only shoot 124gr and heavier range ammo and I'd stay away from steel cased ammunition entirely. For self defense ammo, I'd most likely carry +P stuff