General non-specific firearm talk...
NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla
State: ID
SGT Supporter: Yes

Century Vz 2008 accident

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:37 am

I would like to share with everyone a little mishap I had with a brand new Century Arms VZ 2008 I have. A few weeks ago I recieved a VZ 2008 in a trade it was brand new and had never been shot,(still in the box). The instruction dvd that normaly comes with the rifle was missing and I was told it did not come with the gun. So, I went on line to get some basic field stripping information. After I found out how to dissasemble the rifle I did a through cleaning of it and reassembled it. It was a couple of weeks before I was able to get to the range to try it out. When I did go to the range I loaded the two provided mags with Russian Golden Tiger 123gr 7.62/39 ammo. I hung my targets at 25 and 50 yds just to see how the new vz shot. I racked a mag in, charged the rifle and squezzed the trigger. BOOM, somthing was not right. The bolt dust cover had blown out and up about 1/4 inch, the mag that still had 29 rounds in it was doubled in girth with all the rounds blew to the lower portion of the mag. Small bits of broken cartrige case were all over the rifle with the cartrige case head on the ground next to me. I checked myself to make sure I was ok. My range session was over so I took the vz home to figure out what happened. I found a parts break down on the CZeck Point web site and found the problem right away! The bolt lock was missing. It came from Century with out it. So the rifle fired with an unlocked bolt. I feel very lucky that I did not get injured.
I called Century as soon a I could to see what they would do about it and they said they needed to see the rifle to make a determinnation to repair it or replace it . Century did pay for the Postage from UPS.
The reason I am writing this is a warning, SAFETY is very very important with firearms! Know the firearm well before you pull the trigger. Do not assume that all the nessary parts are there as I found out. Use safety glasses(I was not this time and I am lucky I am not blind).
I also want to be clear that I in know way put any blame on the person I got the VZ from he is a good guy and would never tradded me if he knew the rifle had an issue.
I am sure Century Arms will make this right with me. A big outfit like them will not survive if they do not have exelent customer service. I will know in a week or so how things are going after they recieve the rifle and inspect it. I will post the outcome of this story as it unfolds.

Sig-aholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: AAC .300 BLK
Next Firearm: Sig Sauer 1911 TacOp

Re: Century Vz 2008 accident

Post by Sig-aholic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:20 am

WOW!!!! Thank goodness you didn't get hurt or killed.. I hope everything works out okay with Century.. Good Luck
I took an oath that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. My enemies will expire before my oath ever will.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:31 am

Thanks, It realy scared the hell out me.

hags
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: XDm 9

Post by hags » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:45 am

Scary Noidco. How would you know the lock was missing (bet you know now) ? I guess I'm as bad as the next person for not inspecting every part of a new (or new to me) weapon beyond the cursory cleaning. Glad your OK.
‘‘Life is tough. Its tougher if your stupid."
— John Wayne

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:53 am

Wow! Glad you're ok... Thanks for the post.
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 am

"Monkey not install Bolt Lock, Gun go Boom".

I had a Cetme from CIA that failed to feed and sent it back and they fixed it, no problem. I had sent along a note with a SASE asking them to please tell me what exactly the problem was and what they did to fix it, but apparantly they are the strong, silent, types of people who ain't got time to talk about what it was they buggered up in the first place and what size hammer was used to rectify the oversight.

But still, bottom line was they fixed the gun so that it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and did so for no charge and with a short turn-around, so such is life.
Attachments
's Highly Skilled Tech.JPG
Skilled Technician
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Didn't mean to offend any simians among us.
Attachments
whoops.JPG
whoops!
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Stiff
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: MBA Gyrojet Pistol
Next Firearm: Spyra Water Blaster

Post by Stiff » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm

The potential to assemble the bolt and ignite a cartridge without the locking block in place has always concerned me about the VZ-58 platform. The rifle overall is a very stalwart design that offers many features not found on similar rifles,but the Czechs seemingly missed the mark in not having a means to interrupt the firing pin or make assembly impossible without the locking block as a "fail safe". That being said, do not let this experience turn you off from the rifle itself-it is a wonderful platform!
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

kelevra
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by kelevra » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:24 pm

I was very close to getting one last year until someone talked me out of it. THe Czech VZ 58 is really accurate and has a dependable build but doesnt run cheap. So a century vz through centerfire inc. seems so tempting. Here's some opinions on the Century VZ http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=32415.0
Never look to man for answers to your faith. Your faith is mended to fit only you.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

The rifle looked great nice machining,fit and finish. I bet they will send me a new one after double checking it for ALL THE PARTs. I hope they will send me some extra mags or a bayonet or both for my trouble! I am mostly upset about being without the rifle for how ever long it takes to clear this up

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:26 am

Most likely the best you can hope for is that they'll make sure the gun works before they send it to you. I doubt very much that they'll shower you with gifts by way of an apology much less even sending you a note saying sorry for sending out a buggered-up firearm in the first place. The problem is they are so busy fixing their own Fk-ups they don't have time to be writing letters of apology uch less sendign out a batch of goodies for every gun they have to fix.

This kind of thing happens all to often with century but generally they are pretty good about fixing their own F**k-ups and doing it with a reasonable turn-around time. Century's problem, #1, is that they deal in a huge volume of guns needing to be cobbled together from parts because of ASININE BATF Regs, and this will never stop until we elect a majority of conservativee Republicans who will take action to both reform and de-fund the BATF. All a Democrat majority can ever be expected to do is to support more regualtion and increased funding for that rogue agency.

And #2, in addition to the above, there aren't enough expereinced gunsmiths to do the work and this is in part because gun nuts like ourselves are shy about supporting our local gunsmiths and as a result of that in addition to all the ever-increasing BATF BS that gunsmiths have to deal with, the trade is dying out and fewer people are going into the business, and that's why Century has no choice but to hire inebriated simians to assemble their guns

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:49 am

My vz2008 has been back at Century for a week now without them telling me what they are going to do with it. I am starting to think that they have some Piss Poor Customer service. I am going to call them in the morning to see whats going on with it. They must have a huge volume of repairs to deal with.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:07 pm

It is a real bummer when stuff like that happens huh?
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

Kolat
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Walla Walla, Yakima

Post by Kolat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:22 pm

fyi, century is the ford of gun makers :-)

T
Tier 1 guns, 07/02 FFL, here for all your firearms needs. Specializing in NFA items. YHM dealer, Lone wolf dealer, zombie defense dealer, Spikes tactical dealer, AAC dealer, silencerco/swr dealer, Wilson combat dealer.

T

SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
State: Wa

Post by SGTAnnounce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Kolat wrote:fyi, century is the ford of gun makers :-)

T

"Ford brand now has the highest initial quality among all non-luxury brands, according to J.D. Power’s closely watched Initial Quality Study " 06/2010

Maybe Daewoo?

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Century called today! They are going to replace the rifle and offered 500 rounds of ammo for my trouble.I am happy with that. They are sending somthing I will have to sign have noterized than send back, so I am still a few weeks out(oh well). This is what good customer service is all about.

Stiff
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: MBA Gyrojet Pistol
Next Firearm: Spyra Water Blaster

Post by Stiff » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Excellent! This is the outcome I was hoping to hear! At least the 500 rounds will soften the temporary loss somewhat :D
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 pm

I called Century today and asked them when I can expect my replacement vz(they have had my blown up one since Aug 7) They said that will try to test fire the replacement sometime next week before they send it back to me. I can't believe how slow they are. Its nice of them to give me a half case of ammo but its been over a month since they recieved my old rifle. I do not ever see myself buying anything else from Cenury beacause of the time that they are taking to fix their F.U.

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Century e-mailed me today they have finaly shipped my replacement rifle. I should have it by next Tuesday. I will let you all know how the replacment rifle turns out. They test fired the new one this time. Its been 5 weeks since I sent hem the FUBARed rifle .

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by NOIDCO » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

The replacement finaly came today. I am a bit dissapointed with this one the fit of the stock and fore arm are a bit loose, the first one was nice and tight.Also they switched finishes this one has been parkerized but it looks nice. They did test fire the new rifle before they sent it with crosive ammo and did not clean it when they were done so it was showing some rust on the bolt and piston,but I was able to clean it off without any premenant dammage to the parts. The good news is that its all there and even came with a booklet this time. I am happy that this ordeal is over and I can finaly enjoy the VZ. I have learned a good lesson here to allways know the fire arm is complet and functions properly, don't assume its ok just beacause it came out of a box.

I DID GET THE HALF CASE OF AMMO AND THATS COOL
Last edited by NOIDCO on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.