county shooting area advisory committee meeting may 1

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
40glocker
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA

county shooting area advisory committee meeting may 1

Post by 40glocker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

Let's go Brandon!

NMCB5-509
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Ruger Mark II 22/45

Re: county shooting area advisory committee meeting may 1

Post by NMCB5-509 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Tuesday, May 1st - 9am – 10:30 am
Shooting Area Advisory Committee Meeting
Spokane County Public Works Building – Conference Rm 2B (2nd Floor)
1026 W. Broadway Avenue | Spokane, Washington 99260

the best part is "Tuesday May 1st" always makes me think they don't even know what day it is. How are they going to decide what is good for you and me?
Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm

I went to this meeting today. I got there late and missed the first 1/2hr so most of the names and titles of the committee members I was unable to catch, but I caught the rest. The rest of the attendees were entierly made up of landowners, about 12, who live around a popular shooting area on Starr Rd on the south side of Mica Peak. They told some pretty horrific tales regarding the behavior of many, if not most, of the people who frequent the spot. As I understood their concerns the place is being trashed badly, gates, trees, etc, getting shot up. People frequently start shooting early in the day and continue until night. Sometimes they build bon fires and are at it well after dark. One man said a bullet hit a tree about 50' from him one day, others have found bullet holes in out buildings. They all said that when the place is busy they refuse to hike or ride horses in the woods due to safety concerns as the typical shooter there apparently has no regard for ensuring they have a safe back stop.
There was a Game warden present, among others, who spoke about trying to increase a moderating presence in the area. A County official, whose title I do not know, said he would ensure that new signs get posted advising people of laws regarding dumping, vandalism, etc. All agreed that there needed to be more enforcement in the area.
The board members were, for the most part, pretty level headed about it. Only one woman on the board was fairy worked up about anything. She spoke about the illegality of people shooting from the road, etc. I spoke up and advised her that this law had been changed and this was no longer illegal. When she questioned that the Warden reaffirmed my info, which did not sit well with her.
Every landowner spoke about their adamant support for maintaining access for hunting, and most really did not have an objection to recreational shooting, but all were angry at the degree of shooting that takes place, the seemingly total disregard for safety, the destruction of property and trees and the continual dumping of garbage in the area. Many spoke in frustration about how employees at Cabelas and White Elephant have continualy directed people to this area and wish they would cease this practice.
Just thought some of you might be interested in what went on there, I was curious myself.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

dauntless89
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: AR15, 1911, G21
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by dauntless89 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks scrap, I wanted to go but ... well, it was on a tuesday morning.
America is at that awkward stage... It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

A shepherd must tend his flock, and at times, fight off the wolves.

Joel 3:10

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

dauntless89 wrote:Thanks scrap, I wanted to go but ... well, it was on a tuesday morning.
Sometimes there are advantages to the 4 days on 4 days off schedule I work.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....