Winchester Model 42 .410 $ Value?

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
tripleryder
City: Walla Walla

Winchester Model 42 .410 $ Value?

Post by tripleryder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 am

Hey Guys-
Inherited this shotgun from my deceased ex-step-grandfather. I know these are valuable, but I am hoping that someone on here can help me to put an approximate number on this piece.

I know that it depends on if it is the "skeet" model (I think that means a ribbed barrel?) This one is not, plain barrel.
Any other model differences?

The serial is 106574, which, according to this site: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php, puts the manufacture date at 1953.

It's in good shape, there are some blemishes and small scratches on the stock, the bluing is great, with exception of the action area, where it is worn from use.

Barrel looks good.

My crazy ex-step-grandpa went a little crazy with an engraver in his last few years. Everything in his house, and I mean everything (silverware, dishes, furniture, his toothbrush, even a few windows of his house) got his initials. Much of it in more than one place.
Unfortunately, this Model 42 was no exception, receiving engravings in 3 places. However, they are very light, and very small, all less than a dime size, and faint, not deep.

Here are a few pics I've snapped (click for larger resolution).

Any ideas on value?

And please, do not advise me to sell or not. I am asking for value ideas, whether I sell or not will be my own personal decision.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Winchester Model 42 .410 $ Value?

Post by bladebum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 am

pm sent
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Billy
City: Spokane

Post by Billy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 pm

2 1/2 or 3 inch chamber?

tripleryder

Post by tripleryder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Billy wrote:2 1/2 or 3 inch chamber?
3 in.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Figureing that a good model 12 in similar cohdition is worth at least $500, Depending on the total number of model 42s made, yours should be worth close to double the price of the standard model 12 in good condition. The model 42 was an exact scale replica of the Model 12 which was probably one of the strongest and best quality pump shotguns ever made. teh Skeet model had the rib and it also had either an Improved Cylinder or "skeet" choke while most .410s had full chokes. I don't know if they offered the rib on othe models besides the skeet gun.

I would suggest that you start Googling Winchester model 42 win pump for sale and see what they're going for on the internet.

That is one sweet little.410 especially with a 3 inch chamber.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

tripleryder

Post by tripleryder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks to Bladebum for helping me out on this! Looks like the book value is 850 - 1000. The ribbed models are worth twice that.