SGT Premium Supporter
City: Elk
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Model 70 Featherweig
Next Firearm: Undecided
SGT Supporter: Yes

Just curious?

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 pm

I notice many people badmouthing Taurus handguns on this site and would like to share my opinion and also ask for yours. I have owned more than two dozen Taurus handguns in the last 30 years and have had one issue which was resolved in two weeks when returned under their Lifetime Repair Policy. Taurus also paid the freight both ways, so the repair cost me nothing. I have had 2 Smith and Wesson problems, one a 629 that shot out of time 3 times in just over 100 rounds. This cost me freight twice to return and almost 9 months to resolve. I also owned 2 model 66, a 4 and 6 inch where the cylinder gap on the 6 inch was 3 times the gap than on the 4 inch. When I contacted them they said it was within tolerances as far as they were concerned. I owned a Colt Trooper that would not eject without an extremely hard strike on the ejector rod, and after returning to Colt (at my own expense) got it back in 90 days with their conclusion of there was nothing they could do for me. I have concluded that Taurus stands behind the consumer unconditionally and Colt and Smith only like you at the time of sale. Have also owned many Rugers none of which have ever needed repair. I also believe if you have a problem with a firearm you should resolve it yourself rather than selling it to an unsuspecting buyer because you do not wish to resolve it yourself. Please feel free to add comments and input.
Last edited by 257ROBERT on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

DO NOT DRINK AND TYPE! It never ends well.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Re: Just curious?

Post by Sandaholic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Never owned a Taurus but I have to admit I have always had a lower opinion of them. I literally could not tell you how I came to have that opinion. I have looked at some of their offerings (mainly revolvers) from time to time. While I won't be running out and buying any immediately, your post has got me at least contemplating that they might not deserve the rep that they have.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

Rigger28
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane/Metaline
Favorite Firearm: Ruger M77 .375 Ruger
Next Firearm: .410 SxS

Post by Rigger28 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm

257ROBERT wrote:I notice many people badmouthing Taurus handguns on this site and would like to share my opinion and also ask for yours. I have owned more than two dozen Taurus handguns in the last 30 years and have had one issue which was resolved in two weeks when returned under their Lifetime Repair Policy. Taurus also paid the freight both ways, so the repair cost me nothing. I have had 2 Smith and Wesson problems, one a 629 that shot out of time 3 times in just over 100 rounds. This cost me freight twice to return and almost 9 months to resolve. I also owned 2 model 66, a 4 and 6 inch where the cylinder gap on the 6 inch was 3 times the gap than on the 4 inch. When I contacted them they said it was within tolerances as far as they were concerned. I owned a Colt Trooper that would not eject without an extremely hard strike on the ejector rod, and after returning to Colt (at my own expense) got it back in 90 days with their conclusion of there was nothing they could do for me. I have concluded that Taurus stands behind the consumer unconditionally and Colt and Smith only like you at the time of sale. Have also owned many Rugers none of which have ever needed repair. I also believe if you have a problem with a firearm you should resolve it yourself rather than selling it to an unsuspecting buyer because you do not wish to resolve it yourself. Please feel free to add comments and input.
I assume you are talking about me Sir. I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers, 1) a 4" blued model 66 .357 which worked flawlessly and was as tight as a pair of yoga pants. My stepmom carries it for mushroom/huckleberry picking now. 2) A Taurus model 455 .45acp which used moon clips (older Tracker model) I regret selling that gun. 3) a 2011 Taurus tracker .41 Rem Mag which was a POS. I think the model 66, and the pre-2003 Trackers are great revolvers but the new Tracker series is a joke. I would and probably will own another Taurus someday but it WONT be a Tracker model. And yes, I sold a gun that I wasn't happy with. To each his own.....

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:31 pm

I was not referring to you in particular, just responding to many posts I have seen on SGT as well as many conversations I have had with other members. After checking your posts though, I can see why you came to that conclusion. It is not my place to criticize your transactions, but I think if you had sent it back on their dime they would have promptly repaired or replaced it. Not trying to offend anyone, just curious as to other members experiences with warranty work and performance issues. I think you may be overthinking the reason of the post. I have a close friend who had an issue with a handgun and rather than return it he traded it at a gun show to someone else without disclosing it and it seemed wrong to me.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 pm

I have one large revolver from the mid 90s with no problems.
Cameron

KRD
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls

Post by KRD » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:11 am

My experience with Taurus has been positive. That goes for Rossi too.

I would not hesitate to own either again.

Moscow
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane

Post by Moscow » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I own several Taurus revolvers and have not had any problems. An friend of mine bought a model brand-new 85 at my suggestion and it did have a problem. It would inexplicably lock up from time to time. It was sent back for warranty repair, and was returned inside of a month. It was smooth as silk after the free repair.

I have no reluctance to buy and use Taurus revolvers.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I had a Taurus PT111, shot 1500 rounds of Wolf 9mm in one sitting, got so hot I couldnt touch the slide, only thing that happened was about round 800 I had to start thumping the back of the slide to get it fully into battery. It never failed to fire or extract. I honestly have no issues with them.

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:11 pm

I have had several of the model 608, which is their 8 round, ported, .357 mag, it is a BLAST to shoot, never had a problem. I have also owned countless ported model 85's before they discontinued them and loved every one. I have one now as a matter of fact. Taurus is one of the only companies that I know of that offer factory ported guns on the regular.
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

davekell
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: M1A
Next Firearm: Sig HK S&W

Post by davekell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 am

I have had a few taurus clones. never had an issue with any of them, but when It comes down to it rather have a real Beretta than a clone.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 pm

davekell wrote:I have had a few taurus clones. never had an issue with any of them, but when It comes down to it rather have a real Beretta than a clone.

I fall into this same camp.

I've always felt that their wheel guns are descent copies of S&W however too many that I examined had more flaws Than the Smith's. I also believe I will recover more of my money on a Smith I bought new than a Taurus.

The only issue I have had with a Taurus was after leaving a PT-111 in the safe untouched for about 10 years, it had been reliable when I put it up however after ten years of storage it would not fire, soft firing pin strikes. The solution was a very through cleaning. The factory grease in the slide was preventing the firing pin from providing proper ignition. This required a detail strip of the slide and the removal of very hard clumps of grease.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

Post by Nathan1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:52 am

I've owned two Taurus offerings. A small .357 and a PT145. The .357 had almost no issue, except the takedown screw backing out when firing full house loads, locked the cylinder up, tightened the screw didn't have a problem after. Would still have it if a buddy hadn't traded me a niiiiiiiice 1903 Springfield.

Now the PT145. I love the concept. Ultra concealable .45 with 10 rounds aboard? What's not to like? It turns out the variety of malfunctions. I called Taurus and have to say their service was top notch. But their explaination was lacking. They said that it was a known magazine issue, they couldn't explain why just that some mags worked and others didn't. So they sent me two more and told me to try them out. 1 worked and 1 didn't. They sent another, and another. Finally had two mags that worked, but the damage was done and I was less than confident in the carryability of that pistol.

Having said that, not everyone needs to or can afford to pack around a Wilson Combat. If Taurus fits your budget do it! If your a target shooter only, Taurus!

bmm56
Favorite Firearm: 357 Magnum revolver
Next Firearm: conceal carry

Post by bmm56 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I own a pt111 in 9mm and out of the box its superbly accurate and havent had a issue with it. The trigger safety was a bit of a learning curve but I've yet to have a ftf with it. My biggest issue with taurus is the lack of quality cc holsters!

lively stone
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS
Location: Standing in God's loving grace and peace (Rom 5:1-2, 8:1-2, 28)

Post by lively stone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Last edited by lively stone on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ died for our sins.
He was buried and He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
(See 1 Cor 15:3-4, Acts 16:31, John 3:16, 36)

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the input. It occurs to me that if these shops have never carried the 3 brands you have mentioned that they have precious little value for their opinions. I think it would be plausible to steer a customer to a pricier alternative could be a pretty big motivator for their opinions. I have owned all 3 brands in dozens of models and have only had one incidence of repair which was done rapidly for free. Out of less than 10 Smith and Colt products I have had 3 that went back to the factory on my dime, and 2 required multiple trips, multiple shipping and nightmarish customer service. That was the reason and intent for this post in the first place. Keep your opinions and stories coming guys!

F350Crew
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls IDAHO!!
Favorite Firearm: 6.5 GAP/1911
Next Firearm: Lever 44 Mag

Post by F350Crew » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Adding my $.02. I too have noticed that "opinion" from others from time to time Bobert. Just hadn't been my experience at all. I bought my first Taurus revolver back in about 92' as a "back-up" to carry on duty. I had never heard of Taurus before that, and was told at that time that Taurus was a good gun. That they had purchased S&W tooling some years back down in Brazil and were making some good pistols. After checking it out and conferring with some crusty ole' deputies i knew, i bought it. It was a nice little 5 shot 38 special. It shot fantastic , handled well and I carried it for many years on duty as a back-up and off duty as a CC. I also purchased a Taurus 6 3/4" SS ported in 44 Mag around then as well(think i paid $275 at a pawn shop back then). Wow, that was a hard hitting gun and man did i like it. It saved my bacon one day in the woods when i found myself bow hunting for Deer and suddenly came face-to-face with a very large Black Bear at 18', yes that was 18 feet! One shot center mass ended that confrontation in my favor. Had that one as well for many years(ended up trading it for a 63' Falcon with a 260V8, a story for another time). I also had the 357 snub nosed version and kept that one at home on the night stand for the wife. To date, i have bought, traded and sold many Taurus revolvers over the years and I still like them a lot. IMHO, their revolvers are every bit as good as a S&W, top shelf. My next Taurus 44 Mag will be the Ported 8 3/8" version that i'll scope and make a nice tree stand deer hunter out of!
:{)
"Integrity & Honor"