Discuss all things Handguns...
EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

EDC HANDGUN

Post by EWU92 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 am

Looking at buying a new EDC. What do the members of SGT recommend?
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: EDC HANDGUN

Post by bladebum » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 am

Yes... you should always carry when / where you are allowed. Consider how you will be carrying first of all. Open? concealed? I don't believe that just one gun covers all situations, so I have a couple different ones that I wear depending on the need. For me, a revolver solves the issue of a pocket gun because it's fool proof. Side arm? Well that's a matter of taste, mag capacity, concealment options and of course, cool factor. Glocks, M & P's, 1911's, bigger revolvers are all good in my world... YMMV .02 :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

hkcavalier
Gun Trader
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: S&W 627PC
Next Firearm: Precision rifle

Post by hkcavalier » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

I have tried a number of guns and now carry a Glock 26 with a +2 pad which helps with the grip. Of course, now it's almost as big as a G19. I usually carry a 19rnd spare mag (a G17 mag with a +2 pad).

For summer/T-shirt carry I like S&W J frames in an appendix carry holster.

With both you have to be comfortable carrying a loaded gun with no safety down your pants. Good holsters made for the gun, not the $8 Uncle Mikes nylon one, are a must.

Other than the fact I really need to put tritium sights on my G26, I'm pretty happy with this battery. Every once in a blue moon I'll carry a bigger gun like a Glock 34 or S&W 686, but that's limited to cold weather and/or long hikes in remote areas.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

My summer carry is a Ruger LCR 38+p in a Targa pocket holster with two Bianchi six shot speed strips for backup ammo. This pocket holster completely covers the trigger for added safety. Speer Gold Dot Hollowpoint 38+p 135 gr short barrel.

Winter carry is a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm in a DeSantis leather FBI cant hip holster with one backup magazine. Federal Hydra-Shok Hollowpoint 130 gr Low Recoil.

Woods carry is a Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm in a Bianchi X15 horizontal shoulder holster with two spare magazines. 180gr hardcast SWC 1200 FPS.

2xAGM114
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: HK45C LEM
Next Firearm: HK VP9sk

Post by 2xAGM114 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm

bladebum wrote: I don't believe that just one gun covers all situations.
The only pistol you will ever need is a HK P30.

Or a HK P30sk.

And a VP9.
Chance favors only the prepared mind -Louis Pasteur

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

Post by Nathan1984 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 am

Glock 19. Put it under a shirt, done deal.

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am

I've been carrying the G26 daily for several years now and like it. I tried the pinky extension but it was just enough to get in the way. So I carry with 1 in the chamber 10 round mag in a Galco combat master holster, 15 round spare mag.

I often also carry a LCP in the pocket, however I would recommend shooting one a bit before purchasing one. I like it for what it is but a bit small/awkward for my hands.

Roland the Headless
Gun Trader
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: single 7/ henry .327
Next Firearm: none no more

Post by Roland the Headless » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 pm

I carry a 642 in a pocket holster by allen size 11 for md/lg semi-auto (I didn't like the way their j frame holster fit )
thanks Hachdog for showing me your holster and revolver, got me thinking, that might be comfortable

now that it is cooler out, I switch between my .327 Taurus and the Smith .38 in the same pocket holster
wow does that 327 feel heavy after packing the alloy framed 642
hatchdog wrote:My summer carry is a Ruger LCR 38+p in a Targa pocket holster with two Bianchi six shot speed strips for backup ammo. This pocket holster completely covers the trigger for added safety. FPS.
paddle or pan see ya on the creek
.22 Henry .22 Wrangler .22 mkII
.357 Taurus old style m66 4in
.327 Taurus m 327 2in .327 Henry .327 Single 7
.38 spl S&W 642 CCW

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:10 pm

This topic is always popular.
Of course I'm going to recommend a Sig Sauer P239.
Single stack in either 9 40 or 357 sig. I prefer 9.
It's thin and small enough to conceal, but still shoots and handles like a full size gun. I like the DA/SA with a decocker. Smooth as butter double action pull. I feel it's the safest handgun that doesn't have a external safety. Very much like a DA revolver. Only down side, there price, and maybe there weight since it has a aluminum frame, but that's one reason they shoot so well.
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

JJMF2112
Serious Gun Trader
City: N. Spokane
Favorite Firearm: LaRue SBR 556
Next Firearm: Noveske 300 blkout

Post by JJMF2112 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Glock 43 with Tlr6 light

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Post by Sandaholic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 pm

2xAGM114 wrote:
bladebum wrote: I don't believe that just one gun covers all situations.
The only pistol you will ever need is a HK P30.

Or a HK P30sk.

And a VP9.

I tuck a porky little P30sk in the front pocket weak side and a P30L strong side IWB. I'm content 8-)
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 pm

For Pocket carry, I recommend the S&W 500 2.5 "

hkcavalier
Gun Trader
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: S&W 627PC
Next Firearm: Precision rifle

Post by hkcavalier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:For Pocket carry, I recommend the S&W 500 2.5 "
Are you 7'2" and 450lbs?

Grace_Hunter07
Apprentice Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: 700Rem
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Grace_Hunter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:23 pm

I think it would be hilarious to see some guy try an pull a pistol out of his pocket, in a hurry, to defend himself...only to blow his junk off in the process...LMAO!!

Pocket carry is foolish and lazy...I encourage everyone I meet to carry that way...Gives me the upper hand all the time, every time...

I carry a G23 Gen4 (factory stock) IWB...I hate Glock and I hate .40...but its the right tool for the right job...

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 am

Grace_Hunter07 wrote:I think it would be hilarious to see some guy try an pull a pistol out of his pocket, in a hurry, to defend himself...only to blow his junk off in the process...LMAO!!

Pocket carry is foolish and lazy...I encourage everyone I meet to carry that way...Gives me the upper hand all the time, every time...

I carry a G23 Gen4 (factory stock) IWB...I hate Glock and I hate .40...but its the right tool for the right job...
You wish for people to hurt themselves and think its funny? Ever heard of Karma? Also you are worried about having the upper hand against fellow 2A enthusiasts? Your screen name makes sense I think.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 am

hkcavalier wrote:
Are you 7'2" and 450lbs?
I believe this was a joke. He was poking fun at my P30SK 'pocket pistol' ;)

Wh1skey6
Favorite Firearm: Springfield XDm
Next Firearm: XDm Competition

Post by Wh1skey6 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:48 am

What criteria do you have?

Semi Auto or Revolver
Caliber
What kind of carry (pocket/iwb/owb)

I have too many things in my pockets (phone, wallet, knife, keys) so pocket carry is out for me. Single stack semi-autos have been what I stick to.

M&P Shield or Bodyguard
Ruger LCP/LCP9
Keltec PF9
Springfield XDs or XDe

Carry the most gun you can conceal comfortably. If you are not comfortable wearing it, you are less likely to WANT to carry it. Also go rent before you buy. I did not. Why should I spend $10-$20 renting a gun when I should just drop $400 - $500 and not like my choice? :) Don't be like me.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:47 am

Grace_Hunter07 wrote:I think it would be hilarious to see some guy try an pull a pistol out of his pocket, in a hurry, to defend himself...only to blow his junk off in the process...LMAO!!

I'm too fat to carry IWB. It's very uncomfortable for me... plus if I were to try to quick draw by groping for my gun under all those rolls of fat and clothing... I might blow my junk off. The horror... the horror... :|
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Sandaholic wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
Are you 7'2" and 450lbs?
Haha, no I wasn't.... :D

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Sandaholic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Flawlessfoose wrote:
Sandaholic wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
Are you 7'2" and 450lbs?
Haha, no I wasn't.... :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="h ... ></iframe>

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euI3v2jpTlI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Well apparently I fail at embedding youtube vids here :?