SKS, why does it have to look like an AK, or worse?

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
KMS

SKS, why does it have to look like an AK, or worse?

Post by KMS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

This post is meant to be sort of educational/rant, as to why people won't leave SKS's alone. And in reference to the one posted by Madmax, why the h do people apologize for a little wear on what is suppose to be a military gun? Drives me nuts!
Last edited by KMS on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

nrose8989
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: SKS, why does it have to look like an AK, or worse?

Post by nrose8989 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I agree. Putting money into a SKS is putting lipstick on a pig. Not that SKSs are bad, but they aren't worth modernizing.

The only legacy service rifles worth modernizing is the M-16 and AK47/74.
KMS wrote:A VietCong soldier, Circa 1968. No one told him you can't actually fight a battle without synthetic stocks, quad rails, scopes, tactical lights, etc, etc.... And he's in flipfops!
However, you have to understand that 1968 was a different time. Just because it worked back then doesn't mean it's a good idea now.

roach
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Too hard to decide
Next Firearm: PPK/s

Post by roach » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I agree as well. I'm more of a practical man. They look so much better in original issue condition. I feel the same way about AK's and AR's. Won't buy one that has a bunch of gizmos on it. My soldier days are over with, so i don't need "modernization" either. I like the original configurations when it comes to military small arms.....especially old surplus rifles. (it should be illegal to mess with old enfeilds,k98's, and arisaka's)

I could upset alot of folks on here with a discussion on "Modernizing"...but wouldn't want to hi-jack anyone's elses thread.

There sure are alot of SKS's for sale on here lately.
I love the smell of road-flares in the morning

KMS

Post by KMS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:07 pm

I think there's a chromed one for sale ;-)

Kaiser
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Saiga 12
Next Firearm: Bazooka

Post by Kaiser » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:36 pm

What about the SKS is better than an AK? I think the AK is superior in every meaningful way.
"There was nothing more badass than karate in the '80s. If you mixed '80s-era karate with nuclear warheads, that would still be the less-lethal version because it was diluting karate."

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm as much old-school as you guys but that chrome one looks pretty cool, like it belonged to Saddam Hussien or sumthin.
But then again I like nickled handguns with pearl grips.

I like that picture of Victor Charles holding what looks like it was new at the time. Those people were a formidable enemy and it wasn't their weaponry than made them so, it was their mindset, and a lot of folks these days think the more gizmos you have the better combatant it will make you. That's whey thre are endless discussion about what's the "best" gun, the "best" caliber, the "best" hollowpoint, etc.

Somehow I imagine in the backs of the mind of many, that by having the "best", it will make YOU the "best" and somehow I doubt if Eric Clapton thinks that unless he has the best guitar in the world that he wouldn't be able to play very good. Actually Ted Nugent once talked about how he was doing an interview for some radio station and they asked him to play something on some beat to sh*t cheapo guitar they had laying around the studio, and he was actually surprised that it didn't make much difference, he could still play just as good.

So that SKS in the hands of that VC was no doubt a very formidable weapon.

I've only owned one SKS and it wasn't accurate enough for my liking, not for combat necessarilly but I just like accurate guns in general and even for your average SKS that gun was kind of a dog. The only thing I did to modify it was to install one of those chi-com 20 fixed mags that were availble about 15-20 years ago and theyr required tweaking to make them work, but I knew a good gunsmith who got the set-up running good, and 20 rounds is really pretty decent ammo capacity as far as I'm concerned.

One of the next guns I want to get is an Ishapore SMLE in .308 chambering with a 12 round mag. in my opinion the Smelly was one of the best battle rifles ever made. Hell, it held 2 more rounds than the M1 Garand and a good man who'd trained with it could fire it almost as fast, probably JUST as fast if your'e talking AIMED fireand not just screwing around.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

KMS

Post by KMS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:30 pm

I agree. Putting money into a SKS is putting lipstick on a pig
That's NOT where I was coming from. I'm saying it's a desecration to do that to one, especially if it's an old Eastern Block one. You can do whatever you like to the Norincos, I don't think they might have as much collector appeal, unless it's an older one then it should be left alone too.
Last edited by KMS on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

roach
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Too hard to decide
Next Firearm: PPK/s

Post by roach » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am

LOL. Before i could buy that chrome SKS or gold AK74SU, i'd need to move to Detroit and take up pimpin'. LOL! Otherwise i'd feel outta place owning one. Kinda like pearl-handled pistols. Just not my thing....

I would consider hanging a de-milled one on the wall in my garage just for decoration....
I love the smell of road-flares in the morning

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla
State: ID

Post by NOIDCO » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:53 pm

I agree Kieth, I like a Sks left alone. I have never found a after market mag that works worth a darn and all the plastic looks like crap. I have had a few threw the years and have tryed the big mags and folding stocks but I have allways gone back to the 10 round box mag and the wood stock. Back in the late 80s I used to get SKSs for 89.00 with all the goodies and a case of ammo for 99.00. I wish I picked up a 100 of them with a case of ammo for each!

KMS

Post by KMS » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:28 pm

:)
Last edited by KMS on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

YugoSKS
Favorite Firearm: Winchester Model 70
Next Firearm: Crickett Rifle

Post by YugoSKS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:25 am

I'd argue that the SKS is more accurate than the AK due in part the the longer barrel and probably less barrel flex. (it is amazing to see an AK flex with slow motion photography). I am not knocking the AK. I have owned them both and plan to get another AK soon.

Originally I wanted to get a SKS and have a Tapco stock. But after hanging out on the SKS boards the "tacticool" bubba-ed SKSs just looked soul-less. There was lot more excitement when someone ordered an SKS and got it with some battlefield carving on the stock. There were a few guys teaching others who to refinish the stocks rather than replace them with plastic.

There are tacticool scope mounts that are part of the receiver copy. I was given one but they move too much side to side.
Best to leave it stock in my opinion and be happy with a rifle that will hit pie plates at 100 yds.

YugoSKS

YugoSKS
Favorite Firearm: Winchester Model 70
Next Firearm: Crickett Rifle

Post by YugoSKS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:32 am

I also think that the SKS for some reason looks stupid and naked without it's bayonet. I don't like seeing the bayonet lug hanging out with nothing on it. It looks incomplete that way.

KMS

Post by KMS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 am

Here's a great SKS article.

http://www.firearmstruth.com/2010/the-sks

Check out all the SKS pics on this page!

http://yooperj.com/SKS-28.htm

And here;

http://yooperj.com/SKS-29.htm

This ia GREAT site on the SKS, sorry no pics of "tactical" SKS's...

Fields
Gun Trader
City: Electric City
Favorite Firearm: c96 Mauser
Next Firearm: S&W No.3 Schofield

Post by Fields » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 pm

I have to agree, I don't like the tacticool look on sks'. I also don't like AK's when they're dressed up like an M4 or with synthetic furniture. It looks better the way they designed them back in the late forties with wood and steel.
Many options. One: Key chain. B: Trucker Cap. Look good for Ladies!!!
Opulence, I has it.

KMS

Post by KMS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Wood and Steel, Amen!

Yeah, the M4 stock on an AK makes me throw up a little in the back of my mouth... ;-)

Kirch
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: ar-15

Post by Kirch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:30 pm

ok, i'm guilty of this! i did it a couple years ago, when i was hanging out with some firearm "ricers". really with i didn't give my stock hardware away now.

right below the shotgun is what use to be an SKS :( my bad.
Attachments
security.jpg

rusobr2
Rookie Member
City: prineville
Favorite Firearm: bar-7mm
Next Firearm: sav.99-308

Post by rusobr2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 pm

i just trade my old 740 rem for another sk----this thing is 100% org w/20" brl /except for mag --the guy took out org 10 rnd., and put in a 30 rnd -- threw the org. 10 away----are we talken dumb & dumber here, or what !!

so i'm looken for an org 10 if you know of one (NOR>)

steven
ALL DAYS ARE GOOD ! SOME ARE A TOUCH BETTER ! IF YOU DON'T THINK SO , JUST MISS ONE !!