Pechia22
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Kimber 1911
Next Firearm: Pistol-revolver

AMT Backup 9mm for $150 good deal?

Post by Pechia22 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am

I have someone that wants to sell me a AMT Backup 9mm for $150...Is this a good deal?
WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW; THEN RESISTANCE BECOMES DUTY:

Thomas Jefferson

IN GOD WE TRUST

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: AMT Backup 9mm for $150 good deal?

Post by Bob R » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 am

That sounds like an OK deal. Nearly any gun is worth at least that much, but there are a few exceptions.

You will need to verify the chambering on the gun. It could be 9x17 (AKA 9mm Kurz) which is .380 or it could be 9x19 which is 9mm parabellum (or 9mm Luger). The AMT was chambered in both, with the 380 being the early offering.

You can look at gunbroker, both current and completed auctions, to figure out the average asking and getting price for these guns.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Viper-1
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Glock 17 Gen 5
Next Firearm: Agency Arms Glock

Post by Viper-1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 am

If it's a .380 from AMT and is marked Covina, CA instead of El Monte, CA and you don't want it, I'll take it!!!

Great little piece and excellent trade stock in my experience.

I'm serious, I'll take it sight unseen if you say no thanks.
"Sometimes it is completely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Viper-1 wrote:If it's a .380 from AMT and is marked Covina, CA instead of El Monte, CA and you don't want it, I'll take it!!!

Great little piece and excellent trade stock in my experience.

I'm serious, I'll take it sight unseen if you say no thanks.
I'm not sure what the distinction is between the Covina guns and the El Monte guns was or is but I don't know for a fact that you can depend on either one. even of the QC is good, there may be inherent design flaws to these guns, and some might work fine for a while until they don't anymore. My recomendation would be to take a chance on a Covina gun if those were the ones that are supposed to be good but only as a plinker, not a carry gun. A friend of mine years ago who was a gunsmith said that "AMT" stood for Amateur Mexican Technology.

Theres a lot of things that you can save money on and there's other things where cost shouldn't be your primary consideration like something you might have to depend on to save your life. But then again, of you only want one of these little guns to plink with, then theres nothing to be concerned about.

I just was looking at one of these recently and it was a 380 backup bit I think it might have said "9mm Kurz" or 9x17 on it and sometimes this confuses people but I don't thinl AMT ever made a 9mm Luger chambered backup, though they did make a .45 which was very compact but had a horrible 12 pound trigger and needed a lot of smoothing up before it wouldn't keep jamming.

Some of the AMT guns were OK but I think if you're looking for a 380 for serious purposes, save your money and get a Ruger LCP. it's lighter, more concelable and a known quantity.
Last edited by ron on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm

but I don't thinl AMT ever made a 9mm Luger chambered backup, though they did make a .45
AMT trotted out a whole slew of calibers over the years. They were available in .22, .380 (9x17), 38 Super, 9mm Luger (9x19), .357 Sig, 40 S&W, 400 Corbon and last but not least the wonderful .45 variety over the years that AMT and High Standard marketed them.

If I ever find a reasonably priced AMT in 40 S&W I am going to apply some ORT (Oklahoma Redneck Technology) to it and chamber it in 10mm. Should make for an impressive light show if nothing else! :shock:

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Viper-1
City: Coeur d'Alene
Favorite Firearm: Glock 17 Gen 5
Next Firearm: Agency Arms Glock

Post by Viper-1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Why not just get the Javelina? Then you can save yourself some time. Either way, you do that send some pics and I want to shoot it! lol

I've had a bunch of AMT's. Love their hardballers and their longslides are sweet. Bought, fixed up, hacked, filed, polished and ground on a bunch of them. The hardballers make great wadcutter bullseye guns.

That .380 backup is a good little gun. Had a few of those, shot the crap out of them. I flip them for a good profit. I've never sold one for under $300. That's why I'd take this one sight unseen.

Comfortable to shoot too. Just use stainless slick on them.
"Sometimes it is completely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Bob R wrote:
but I don't thinl AMT ever made a 9mm Luger chambered backup, though they did make a .45
AMT trotted out a whole slew of calibers over the years. They were available in .22, .380 (9x17), 38 Super, 9mm Luger (9x19), .357 Sig, 40 S&W, 400 Corbon and last but not least the wonderful .45 variety over the years that AMT and High Standard marketed them.

If I ever find a reasonably priced AMT in 40 S&W I am going to apply some ORT (Oklahoma Redneck Technology) to it and chamber it in 10mm. Should make for an impressive light show if nothing else! :shock:

bob
Considering the cartridge length differences, not to mention pressures, etc., not sure how successful that would be...