HB 1387: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
City: Spokane
State: Wa
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: HB 1387: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Post by SGTAnnounce » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

This is interesting (chopped up a bit):

(29) "Assault weapon" means:
" 13 (b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or
14 rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept
15 more than ten rounds of ammunition;"

Does not a Glock 19 fit under that definition?

(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
17 detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
18 (i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that
19 can be held by the nontrigger hand;
20 (ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
21 forward handgrip, or silencer;

So a threaded barrel Walther P22?

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Huskyoff wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm
This is interesting (chopped up a bit):

(29) "Assault weapon" means:
" 13 (b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or
14 rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept
15 more than ten rounds of ammunition;"

Does not a Glock 19 fit under that definition?

(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
17 detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
18 (i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that
19 can be held by the nontrigger hand;
20 (ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
21 forward handgrip, or silencer;

So a threaded barrel Walther P22?
Even a low cap pistol that has the capability to accept a hi cap mag will be an assault weapon. Think Glock 26 (ten round standard mag) but can accept a larger cap mag.
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Even a standard 1911 .45 could be effected.

http://adrenalineworld.com/promag-govt- ... gI8bfD_BwE
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Several Washington State gun control bills failed to meet committee deadline for a vote and are likely defeated for the year.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018020 ... t-deadline

However...
SB 5992 - 2017-18 (Passed the Senate and is now with the House).
Concerning trigger modification devices. (REVISED FOR ENGROSSED: Concerning bump-fire stocks).
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017

and

SB 5444 / HB 1387 - 2017-18 (Feb 2 Referred to Ways & Means).
Concerning enhanced background checks and licensure for assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
are still on the plate.

We probably can't stop the vote on Bump Stocks, but we must do everything we can to stop the lawmakers from passing 5444/1387. Both bills being considered have been changed from the original bills which most likely means that some compromises have been made to make it easier to get passed.
Please read the new bills and contact your lawmakers again and again and again until this reclassification of what constitutes an "assault weapon" and restrictive licensing / tracking bill is defeated. When you read it you won't believe the crap that they are trying to pull. If you thought I-594 was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Speak up now or forever live with this terrible law. :|
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

madmartigan
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: Evil assault rifles
Next Firearm: As many as I can

Post by madmartigan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks Bladebum for posting links to the full text of these nefarious bills.

SGT members, if you click on the links provided you'll have the opportunity to Comment on the bills. There's a limit on the characters you can enter in the blank, so I crammed as many hot button words as I could in there:
I am writing to express grave concerns that I and other law-abiding Washington state gun owners have about ESB 5992. After fully reading the bill it's clear that it would accomplish nothing to reduce gun crime, but would rather subject Washingtonians to some of the most restrictive, unfair burdens ever proposed. The definition of so-called assault weapons is misleading in the extreme. Every single one of the requirements in this proposed legislation serve to accomplish nothing less than the discriminatory persecution of citizens who believe in the free exercise of their constitutionally guaranteed civil rights. It is my hope that intelligent, responsible elected representatives will see through the deceptive hyperbole contained in this bill. In conclusion, I love living in Washington for many reasons but this would make our home untenable for gun owners. Please don’t allow misguided, agenda-driven hysteria to drive this unjustifiable repression of citizen's rights. Thank you.
Feel free to plagiarize, copy, steal, modify, whatever. I think it probably has more impact if it appears you put lots of thought into it but this should give you a good starting point.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 pm

madmartigan wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm
Thanks Bladebum for posting links to the full text of these nefarious bills.

SGT members, if you click on the links provided you'll have the opportunity to Comment on the bills. There's a limit on the characters you can enter in the blank, so I crammed as many hot button words as I could in there:
I am writing to express grave concerns that I and other law-abiding Washington state gun owners have about ESB 5992. After fully reading the bill it's clear that it would accomplish nothing to reduce gun crime, but would rather subject Washingtonians to some of the most restrictive, unfair burdens ever proposed. The definition of so-called assault weapons is misleading in the extreme. Every single one of the requirements in this proposed legislation serve to accomplish nothing less than the discriminatory persecution of citizens who believe in the free exercise of their constitutionally guaranteed civil rights. It is my hope that intelligent, responsible elected representatives will see through the deceptive hyperbole contained in this bill. In conclusion, I love living in Washington for many reasons but this would make our home untenable for gun owners. Please don’t allow misguided, agenda-driven hysteria to drive this unjustifiable repression of citizen's rights. Thank you.
Feel free to plagiarize, copy, steal, modify, whatever. I think it probably has more impact if it appears you put lots of thought into it but this should give you a good starting point.
Good reply but SB5992 is the bill for bump stocks and SB5444 is for enhanced background checks and licensure for assault weapons and large capacity magazines (also reclassification what an assault weapon is). SB5444 is the really bad one we need to pound...

madmartigan
Favorite Firearm: Evil assault rifles
Next Firearm: As many as I can

Post by madmartigan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 am

Oops. Re-sent bill comments with the correct bill number.

tlmad
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley

Post by tlmad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Just received this:
Thank you for contacting Senator Padden's office about the gun control bills in the Senate. We appreciate your input on this, as on any issue.

The Senate is hearing many pieces of gun legislation this session in Olympia. Senator Padden is a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, with an A+ rating from the NRA. He is opposed to Senate Bill 5444, which has had a hearing in the Law and Justice Committee.

The committee has altered this bill quite a bit since it was proposed. Originally, SB 5444 would have required gun owners to apply for assault weapon licenses, which they would have had to update whenever they acquired a new assault weapon or high-capacity magazine. In face of strong opposition, the committee decided to change the proposal. In the current bill, owners of so-called assault weapons are required to possess concealed-carry permits. On February 1st, the committee scheduled an executive session for SB 5444, which is a meeting where the members of the committee vote on whether they want to send the bill to a vote of the whole Senate. Senator Padden voted against SB 5444 on February 1st, but the Democratic majority passed the bill. It was sent to the Senate Ways and Means Committee, so its fiscal impact on the state could be examined.

This 2018 legislative session is what is known as a "short" session, meaning it is only 60 days long. During the first half of session, the Senate holds hearings and votes on its own legislation; during the second half, the Senate votes on proposals that passed the House of Representatives. The cut-off day for the Ways and Means Committee to pass its legislation is today, February 6, and the committee has not scheduled a hearing for SB 5444. This means that there is almost no chance for SB 5444 to become law this session.

Once again, thank you for making your voice heard, and for being an active constituent. If you have further comments or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thomas Trull
Session Aide for
Sen. Mike Padden
4th Legislative District
Irv Newhouse Bldg. 106
360-786-7606

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:14 pm

^^^ I hope that's the case and this gets shelved for now. We must keep up the pressure however as this bill will be re-introduced in the next session and since it was introduced by Wa Atty General Bob Ferguson the pressure to get it passed will be huge. It may even get re-introduced as the original bill without the softening. Stay Strong and Stay Alert. :|

bladebum

WA gun restrictions still pending: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Post by bladebum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 am

As reported by SGT members and also the NRA, several bills have failed to meet the deadline for passing out of committee and have timed out for this session. These bills will most likely be reintroduced in the next session or rewritten with a similar theme in future sessions. We must always be on guard! Here is a NRA link to the current situation. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018020 ... ill-moving

Here is a list of the current bills and links for your review. Please read the bills and the NRA comments, and If you don't agree with these proposals, you must voice your opposition with your lawmakers or risk passage.

SB 5992 - 2017-18 Concerning trigger modification devices. (REVISED FOR ENGROSSED: Concerning bump-fire stocks. )
Senate Bill 5992 was originally introduced as a trigger modification device ban with broad, overreaching language that would have criminalized modifications commonly made to firearms by law-abiding citizens. Instead, the legislation was amended on the Senate floor to narrow down the definition of the ban to apply only to bump-fire stock attachments. This bill has been scheduled for a public hearing in the House Judiciary Committee on February 9th at 8:00AM.

SB 5441 - 2017-18 Concerning certain procedures upon initial detention under the involuntary treatment act.
Substitute Senate Bill 5441 would impose a 6-month firearm prohibition for any person who has been released from a 72-hour mental health evaluation. Current law allows a person to be held for a limited time in order for a mental health professional to determine if the individual, based on allegations of a mental health or substance abuse disorder, is in need of treatment or further commitment. At the end of the evaluation, individuals that are not in need of treatment are released. SB 5441 would nonetheless apply a blanket prohibition of firearm possession to all released individuals, and requires the immediate surrender of all firearms and any concealed pistol license to law enforcement. This legislation removes a constitutional right without any mental health adjudication or judicial determination, and without any due process of law. Currently awaiting a Senate floor vote.

SB 6298 - 2017-18 Adding domestic violence harassment to the list of offenses for which a person is prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Senate Bill 6298 would expand the list of domestic violence offenses that prohibit firearm possession to also include “Harrassment.” Domestic violence is a serious issue and those convicted of violent offenses should be addressed accordingly. However, the definition of harassment under Washington state law is so broadly defined that it includes 37 other crimes, many of which involve no form of actual contact or threat of harm to a person. Under this legislation, even the offenses of graffiti and trespass fall within this umbrella category that could result in a firearm prohibition. Imposing an automatic, blanket ban on constitutional rights for these wildly varying offenses is excessive and unwarranted. Currently awaiting a Senate floor vote.

HB 1122 - 2017-18 Protecting public safety through responsible storage of firearms. (SB5463)
Substitute House Bill 1122 would require the locking up of one’s firearms or else they would potentially face reckless endangerment charges. This intrusive government legislation invades people’s homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up. House Bill 1122 is a solution in search of a problem. Currently awaiting a House floor vote.

HB 1483 - 2017-18 Concerning the disposition of forfeited firearms by the Washington state patrol.
House Bill 1483 would allow for the destruction of all firearms confiscated by or forfeited to the Washington State Patrol. Like other seized items, these firearms should be sold by law-enforcement to generate revenue instead of spending money to have them destroyed. Currently awaiting a House floor vote.

Thanks to all the SGT members and concerned citizens that have contacted their lawmakers concerning these issues so far.

Again, If you don't agree with these proposals, you must voice your opposition with your lawmakers or risk passage (remember I-594?).

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 am

SB 5992 Bump Stocks is scheduled for a public hearing today.

The agenda for this bill in the House is posted below. It has already passed the Senate.

IN THE HOUSE
Jan 29 First reading, referred to Judiciary (Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report).
Feb 9 Public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Feb 14 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM (Subject to change). (Committee Materials)
Feb 15 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM (Subject to change). (Committee Materials)

Effect in WA State if passed is posted below (condensed).
Beginning July 1, 2018, it is unlawful for a person to manufacture or sell a bump-fire stock.
Beginning July 1, 2019, it is unlawful to: manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or
have in possession or control
, any bump-fire stock or any part designed and intended solely and
exclusively for use in a bump-fire stock; or assemble or repair a bump-fire stock.
Bump-fire stocks that are illegally held or illegally possessed are contraband subject to immediate seizure
by law enforcement.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:01 am

Update on SB 5992 (Bump Stocks) bill.
Feb 14 Executive session scheduled, but no action was taken in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM.
Feb 15 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM in anticipation of other legislative action.

Update on SB 6298 (harassment) bill.
Feb 13 First reading, referred to Judiciary (Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report).
Feb 21 Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM in anticipation of other legislative action.
Feb 22 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM in anticipation of other legislative action.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:45 pm

UPDATE (Copied from the NRA web site)
February 14th marked the deadline for bills to be voted out of the house in which they originated. Having failed to receive a vote, several anti-gun bills are now likely defeated for the year. Thanks to NRA members and Second Amendment supporters for their continued involvement this session, the following bills are likely defeated for the year.

Substitute House Bill 1122 would have required the locking up of one’s firearms or else they would potentially face reckless endangerment charges. This intrusive government legislation invades people’s homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up. Failed to meet crossover deadline.

House Bill 1483 would have allowed for the destruction of all firearms confiscated by or forfeited to the Washington State Patrol. Like other seized items, these firearms should be sold by law-enforcement to generate revenue instead of spending money to have them destroyed. Failed to meet crossover deadline.

Substitute Senate Bill 5441 would have imposed a 6-month firearm prohibition for any person who has been released from a 72-hour mental health evaluation. Current law allows a person to be held for a limited time in order for a mental health professional to determine if the individual is in need of treatment or further commitment. At the end of the evaluation, individuals that are not in need of treatment are released. SB 5441 would nonetheless apply a blanket prohibition of firearm possession to all released individuals, and require the immediate surrender of all firearms and any concealed pistol license to law enforcement. Failed to meet crossover deadline.

These bills are still hot and likely to pass:
Senate Bill 6298 would expand the list of domestic violence offenses that prohibit firearm possession to also include “Harrassment.” Domestic violence is a serious issue and those convicted of violent offenses should be addressed accordingly. However, the definition of harassment under Washington state law is so broadly defined that it includes 37 other crimes, many of which involve no form of actual contact or threat of harm to a person. Under this legislation, even the offenses of graffiti and trespass fall within this umbrella category that could result in a firearm prohibition. Imposing an automatic, blanket ban on constitutional rights for these wildly varying offenses is excessive and unwarranted. SB 6298 passed the Senate floor with a 34-13 vote and has been scheduled for a public hearing in the House Judiciary Committee on February 21st at 8:00AM.

Senate Bill 5992 was originally introduced as a trigger modification device ban with broad, overreaching language that would have criminalized modifications commonly made to firearms by law-abiding citizens. Instead, the legislation was amended on the Senate floor to narrow down the definition of the ban to apply only to bump-fire stock attachments. SB 5992 passed the House Judiciary Committee on February 15th with a 10-3 vote and will now await a floor vote.
Last edited by bladebum on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: underline

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 am

*** New Scam from the Legislature *** *** SB 6620 ***

The dishonest legislature is trying to rush through SB 6620 with the misleading title, "Improving security in schools and the safety of students". All the restrictive provisions of SB 5444 / HB 1387 are included in this scam and has nothing to do with student safety. They are still trying to restrict law-abiding citizens by reclassifying common, legal features that most law-abiding gun owners possess and redefine them as "Semiautomatic rifle or shotgun with tactical features". In reality, these firearms are only being defined by aesthetic features that in no way affect the functionality of the rifle. We need serious proposals to prevent violent criminals and the dangerously mentally ill from acquiring firearms. Passing a law such as SB 6620 punishes law-abiding citizens for the evil acts of criminals. Time is very short to stop this end run as this bill was introduced just 2 weeks before the end of the current session. Links provided... Please contact your lawmakers NOW!

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018022 ... in-olympia
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... s/6620.pdf

*** New Scam from the Legislature *** *** SB 6620 ***

whistlepunk
Favorite Firearm: Ak74

Post by whistlepunk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 pm

DearPresident Trump/Senator/Rep:

I am against any new gun laws. I adamantly oppose more restrictive Universal Background Check/Registration/NICS legislation in all its forms. Our current background check system functions well when used properly and criminals will always find a way to get guns, usually illegally. It could block good people from defending themselves. Additionally I opposed any new laws banning certain types of guns and/or accessories. I know you stand with real Americans in protecting our Constitution and its provisions like the 2nd Amendment in its entirety. Here are 3 key points in the current environment to ban/limit gun ownership:

1) A campaign of disinformation is pushed by all media on most media (fake news). It has nothing to do with public safety and preventing future mass shootings of innocent people; no gun law would have stopped Nikolas Cruz in FL. Violent criminals have always broken laws and achieved regrettable violence with all kinds of devices (like delivery trucks in France & NY). Every mass shooting has only occurred through violation of many laws…just like in FL. If we truly wish to protect our children then we should make laws where potential victims are immediately ARMED. UT has such a law in their schools. As such please support the Safe Students Act (H.R. 34) would repeal gun-free school zones across the country, allowing security guards, administrators, teachers, and parents to protect their students.

2) This movement is more ominous in nature and it ties into an alarming political change in the US. The exact kind our forefathers worried about. It seeks to fully disarm the American people over a period of years. Is this Constitutional? The proposed bump sock or AR-15 ban and its associated bans (magazines, accessories) will make great inroads to this purpose. In doing so it could threaten public safety and perhaps even rule of law as its enforcement is attempted. This could lead to civil unrest or even worse as many refuse to comply with such unconstitutionality and seizure of private property. I and millions of others wish to prevent this and work to preserve rule of law in this country.

3) Americans are entitled to own semi-automatic firearms with their magazines in order to resist possible tyranny. Even with these we are outgunned. This isn’t some far fetched, ridiculous extremist notion but a lesson simply born of history. Our Bill of Rights was specifically included by our forefathers to protect this important right of self defense and of being armed. It ranks only behind freedom of speech in importance. The 2nd ensures the others rights can remain protected. It also ensures the government answers to the people and prevents the destruction of personal liberty. I support those politicians that protect our hard fought legacy of freedom and personal responsibility. I thank you for your opposition to these and more gun laws.
Send it via mail, fax, email. Send it to everyone.

These draconian bills we've seen in WA the last month are just the beginning. Nationwide, the antigun sentiment is stronger than I've ever seen.

Many people are straight up calling for Australian style full confiscation. I mean millions of people.

We need to organize in preparation of stopping these tyrants.

I think we need to start having pro-gun pro-2A rallies.

I would love to meet some of the other patriots here on SGT; maybe we could start with a meet-and-greet at Suncrest. Spend a couple hours meeting likeminded individuals in the community, spend a little time cleaning up the shotgun shells and trash that arsewipes leave up there and maybe get some range time in :)

Fight the good fight!