Questions about Dishman mica range

Discuss local ranges...
Kopfjager
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: DT SRS A1

Re: Questions about Dishman mica range

Post by Kopfjager » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:37 am

Im sure the majority of the shooters of Spokane County would help out. And I would hope that some of the businesses would help out as well. Having a range out to a grand is hard to come by. Or if not funding to purchase the adjacent land, maybe funding the construction of a back stop wide enough and tall enough to accommodate extreme misses (which would be way cheaper).

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 am

Kopfjager wrote:Im sure the majority of the shooters of Spokane County would help out. And I would hope that some of the businesses would help out as well. Having a range out to a grand is hard to come by. Or if not funding to purchase the adjacent land, maybe funding the construction of a back stop wide enough and tall enough to accommodate extreme misses (which would be way cheaper).
This sounds like a good idea too.
I'm not sure how you could construct a backstop bigger than the mountain and trees that are already there though ;)
As far as I can tell the lawsuit's claims that bullets from the range were making it over the mountain and trees onto the neighboring property are suspect (at best).
IMO they were just a specious argument being made to try to shut the place down.
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Kopfjager
Favorite Firearm: DT SRS A1

Post by Kopfjager » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:29 pm

BC38 wrote:
Kopfjager wrote:Im sure the majority of the shooters of Spokane County would help out. And I would hope that some of the businesses would help out as well. Having a range out to a grand is hard to come by. Or if not funding to purchase the adjacent land, maybe funding the construction of a back stop wide enough and tall enough to accommodate extreme misses (which would be way cheaper).
I'm not sure how you could construct a backstop bigger than the mountain and trees that are already there though ;)
As far as I can tell the lawsuit's claims that bullets from the range were making it over the mountain and trees onto the neighboring property are suspect (at best).
IMO they were just a specious argument being made to try to shut the place down.
One, unless shooters are aiming over the trees, not going to happen. Two, highly implausible that a stray round is going to get through about 1km of trees which the house is almost 2km from the firing line and 520 ft above the firing line. Youre right, at 1000 yards the target is only 100 feet above the firing line which leave 400 ft of elevation, 8 degrees of offset, and 1km of trees, and the target at a grand is in a draw. But the vertical hazard for a 220 gr SMK 300 Winmag is 358m max distance is 6242m, but an exception can be made since the target is in a draw, angle of dispersion is 5 degrees left and right, then the ricochets are more likely to come back to the shooter with a dispersion angle of 15 degress left and right. Ricochets or stray rounds are highly unlikely to impact near or on his property.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Kopfjager wrote:
BC38 wrote:
One, unless shooters are aiming over the trees, not going to happen. Two, highly implausible that a stray round is going to get through about 1km of trees which the house is almost 2km from the firing line and 520 ft above the firing line. Your'e right, at 1000 yards the target is only 100 feet above the firing line which leave 400 ft of elevation, 8 degrees of offset, and 1km of trees, and the target at a grand is in a draw. But the vertical hazard for a 220 gr SMK 300 Winmag is 358m max distance is 6242m, but an exception can be made since the target is in a draw, angle of dispersion is 5 degrees left and right, then the ricochets are more likely to come back to the shooter with a dispersion angle of 15 degress left and right. Ricochets or stray rounds are highly unlikely to impact near or on his property.
A much more technical way of saying the same thing I said. The mountain and the trees are a bigger backstop than you could ever build and his claim that bullets from the range are landing on his property are specious (a.k.a. bull feces).

To anyone with any understanding of ballistics, the claim is ridiculous and was just used to try to close the range.
So a bigger backstop isn't going to solve the problem, because the problem isn't real in the first place - it is a made up claim to try to force closure of the range.
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

cab121783
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA

Post by cab121783 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:18 am

This was posted on the Mica Gun Range facebook.......

OK sorry it's late but here is the update. I talked to the owner today and he said "seems like everyone is going to get something but not everything they want". So the final decision will be made next week. He nor anyone else knows exactly how it will all turn out so no panicking and forming a mob with torches just yet. Also just to clarify, the RIFLE range will be closed for the 3rd through the 5th. The PISTOL range will be OPEN everyday with the same hours. Thank you for your support and patients.

In my opinion, anything less than the full range being restored is a loss for the community. Sounds like that is about to happen.....

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Anyone gone out there lately? Heard they won the lawsuit
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

cab121783
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley

Post by cab121783 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:08 am

Per the Facebook page again.....for the most part, good news!

UPDATE!!!! So here it is. What everyone has been waiting for. The president of our club is working out the details right now. We need to build berms behind all targets past 300 yrds. So yeah, dig out the impact areas and maybe move the 600 yrd gong. No long range shooting at wind speed over 15 mph. (Iol, yeah just let that one sink in) Once this is all done, the Mica Gun Range will be back to 1,000 yards! Thank you for your support, I will inform all of you as new details become available. Thank you and I hope to see everyone this weekend.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Well this is good news. Though the condition of wind speed is asinine. Projectiles drifting laterally will not travel any further than had they hit the target. I understand though that it was likely a negotiated deal and as such it's better than the alternative.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Awesome, I've been itching to stretch out my .308.
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

love my ak47

Post by love my ak47 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:21 am

1000 yards is up and running.