Discuss Hunting...in Spokane
TRWiG
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Saiga AK-47
Next Firearm: M1a

Pitbull/Aggresive Dog Traps?

Post by TRWiG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Not hunting talk exactly, but close enough.
The meth house up the alley keeps letting their dogs run loose at night. They have attacked all of the neighbors, neighbors' dogs, killed most of the cats in the neighborhood, and SCRAPs cannot/will not do anything about it. Essentially I have to "prove" it was "that specific dog" in order for them to take the dogs away. Spokane Police Dept won't take animal calls.
I already pack my carry pistol to take the garbage out, but...
The SCRAPs officer quietly told me that it is perfectly legal to trap dogs on my own property, so I have resolved to do that. Problem is, I can't find any live traps strong enough to hold 100lb Pitbulls or a 150lb Rottweiler.
It has to be a live trap, because I don't want to hurt any of the remaining neighborhood cats (including my own).
Any Suggestions?

Jc_RAM.
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: kel-tech Rfb
Next Firearm: fnp 45 tactical :D

Re: Pitbull/Aggresive Dog Traps?

Post by Jc_RAM. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:32 pm

What about setting up some type of snare?

Bourbon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park
State: WA

Post by Bourbon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Ask at a feed store or veterinary clinic. Maybe have a Super Bowl Party with a smoker and BBQ going in the backyard? If they come over and act aggressive.....

TRWiG
Rookie Member
Favorite Firearm: Saiga AK-47
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by TRWiG » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks for the advise and PMs. After too much discussion, I am going with one of these:
http://www.trucatchtraps.com/large-anim ... 8f-folding
I'll post if it was successful or not in a few weeks.

Roland the Headless
Gun Trader
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: single 7/ henry .327
Next Firearm: none no more

Post by Roland the Headless » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 pm

with the dogs that heavy, might wanna set up in your truck bed...got canopy??
paddle or pan see ya on the creek
.22 Henry .22 Wrangler .22 mkII
.357 Taurus old style m66 4in
.327 Taurus m 327 2in .327 Henry .327 Single 7
.38 spl S&W 642 CCW

ChaseK
City: Fruitland Washingto
Favorite Firearm: Custom Creedmoor
Next Firearm: Henry 45-70

Post by ChaseK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm

a tub of antifreeze seems to do the job best just make sure any animal not targeted stays clear of it. Antifreeze has a sweet sugar water like taste. if all else fails I recommend a 177-22 call pellet gun right behind the ear... "you only gotta hang mean bastards... but means bastards you gotta hang."

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

Post by EWU92 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:43 pm

ChaseK wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm
a tub of antifreeze seems to do the job best just make sure any animal not targeted stays clear of it. Antifreeze has a sweet sugar water like taste. if all else fails I recommend a 177-22 call pellet gun right behind the ear... "you only gotta hang mean bastards... but means bastards you gotta hang."
LOL......We gotta meet 4 a beer some time.
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

ChaseK wrote:

A small amount of antifreeze would cause a lot of pain & suffering and the dog would die of kidney failure. This would be a criminal offense in Washington State (and probably elsewhere).

(c) "Willfully or recklessly kills or injures any pet animal, unless excused by law."
"shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor"
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.08.070
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

ChaseK

Post by ChaseK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 pm

That is true it is a lot of pain. I've had one of my own dogs fall victim after we swapped a log skitters radiator and left a bucket of antifreeze out after draining the system. I also still bare the scars on my left leg from a half feral pit bull that chewed on it when I was 10 years old almost 13 years ago. I agree there is no such thing as bad animals but only bad owners. But bad owners make for some of the worst animals. Let alone a junkie that can't feed himself and damn sure can't feed a 100 pound dog. When dogs pack up they no longer fear man as the alpha but instead will follow what ever the lead dog does much like wolves. I own many dogs (primarily blue heelers) but the minute they chase a deer or bite a non threatening human there is no room for a dog like that. Snaires and poison traps are both illegal and dangerous but done in the right hands can be very affective for feral dogs. Especially if you live in an area with no dog catcher and a high dog population such as I do. As always follow the rules and regulations according to your state laws.

ChaseK

Post by ChaseK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm

EWU92 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:43 pm
ChaseK wrote:
LOL......We gotta meet 4 a beer some time.
I'd love to mr. ewu92 if you're still in the cheney area I'd love to get my foot in the coyote hunting door out there haha

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm

antifreeze? :o :cry:

Leadslinger29
Favorite Firearm: 7mm, 44mag,357,9mm
Next Firearm: 6.5creedmor, .224val

Post by Leadslinger29 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:10 am

Dude i think i heard of this place what side of town you located on exactly 2 tweakers in middle of the night let 100lb pit n maybe anatolian mix that tried to attack me or something, if i were you get like mace to teach their a$$ sh*ts not funny when they try to kill everything they touch or none lethal snares that'll clamp paws show then to stay away from some sh*t.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:39 am

Build a plywood box trap big enough for a dog, plans and how to make a trap and a simple trigger are everywhere on the internet.

drill a 1 inch hole in the trap, run a flex hose from a exhaust pipe into the box. With a dead dog, dump it in road someplace and it will be assumed to have been hit by a car. Critters you don't want to hurt just open the door and let them out.

A lawn mower engine will even do the job. the hose from a small shop vacuum works just fine as the gas out of a tail pipe doesn't get hot enough from a idling engine to melt the hose. Works great on any kind of pests. Have a small tarp to throw over the trap if you have a skunk inside.