Case Annealing

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
jime444
City: Chattaroy, WA
Favorite Firearm: the one Im shooting
Next Firearm: RPG

Case Annealing

Post by jime444 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:14 am

Just wanted to ask the forum members if they anneal their case necks, if they think it helps case life and accuracy (neck tension) and what, if any equipment/method do you use?
Thx.

For me, I do have a .223 that it seems to really help. A tight chambered match rifle that really is sensitive to neck tension, especially at 300+ yards.
Jim

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: Case Annealing

Post by Call Turner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am

I anneal some calibers, especially the harder brass like Starline in my 45/70s. I just use a small torch and a deep well socket in my drill.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Narsil
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley

Post by Narsil » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 pm

I anneal my precision rifle cases with an AMP Annealing machine. Yes it helps with brass life, but it also prevents work hardening of brass. Trust me, you don't anneal eventually you will get some crazy verticals. Having looked at all the popular machines on the market, I saw the AMP unit as the only one backed by real scientific testing. Yes, it's pricey, but worth it to someone looking for high precision and consistency for competition.

Norskie
City: Reardan WA
Favorite Firearm: garand
Next Firearm: 17 fireball

Post by Norskie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Annealing does extend case life. Brass work hardens. Each time it is fired and resized it gets a little harder. Eventually leading to failure of the case. I mostly anneal cases that I form from one cartridge to another. 223 to 17 fireball for example. The method I use is two propane torches tipped at an angle with a socket on an electric screwdriver that rotates in the flame for a certain period of time.

Martini Shooter
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Old Rolling Blocks
Next Firearm: Can't afford another
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Martini Shooter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I anneal my rifle Brass if it resists sizing in any way.

I had some .223's (mixed Manufacturers) that were absolutely hard as Heck - so I annealed them.
I have made my own .577-450 Martini Henry Brass from 24 gauge Magtech Brass shotgun hulls using
a LEE .577-450 Die Set. Took multiple annealings while reforming the hulls to keep from squashing
the cases in the die - they got hard FAST while being reformed..

I purchased a small 12v geared down 30 rpm motor on e-bay and made a turn-table with a Tuna Can
on top. I put water in the tuna can to keep the base of the shell from getting hot and play a Propane
Torch on the case as it turns. That is a 30-06 case in it there in the picture - with water around the base.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... K&_sacat=0

When DULL RED in low light, I drop it in water with a pair of forceps - LARGE tweezers I bought from
the General store - quite useful for many things.

Works GREAT ! Very controllable. DULL RED is the Key - any hotter and you destroy the Brass.

Martini Shooter
What we do in life echoes in eternity” Maximus Decimus Meridius "Gladiator"

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. ...For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done;...." the 13th warrior.

Autodidact
City: West of Cheney
Favorite Firearm: Walther MP5K
Next Firearm: Custom Built 300BLK

Post by Autodidact » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Yes, annealing works for softening brass. The case manufacturers use large annealing ovens, not any particular unit. They all work to some degree. I personally use an Annealeez, after finding the correct setting for a particular caliber using Templaq, I can do mass cases in one sitting. You can feel the difference when resizing cases. I believe it helps life expectancy and neck tension both. If you "believe" that a particular process in your loading regimen works, you can't go wrong.

MrElectric03
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: MPX
Next Firearm: M1 Garand

Post by MrElectric03 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 am

I anneal mine, I have a giraud so I can stack a few hundred .223 cases and have it running while I am doing other things. Need to buy the parts to do larger calibers.
WTB: Factory built 16" flat top AR

IRUAK88
Favorite Firearm: Custom 35 Whelen
Next Firearm: Beretta M9A4

Post by IRUAK88 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:39 pm

Howdy, I just got into annealing myself.. as brass used to be plentiful and I wasn't too worried about neck splitting. I use NOE Exoander buttons in a LEE universal expanding die to control my neck tensions, but it will help with that as well.

I've never been a user of 300blk, just have loaded boat loads for friends. I got into the 300 HAM'R, 35 Whelen, and 9x25 Dillon and they all involve converting other cases.. So I started to anneal to relieve all of the work hardening they acquired during the conversion process.

Here's what I use.
https://www.epintegrations.com/product- ... 0-annealer
It kinda sucks that inflation and shipping is what it is now n' days.. I got mine for $230 delivered Last Feb. I use the little propane tanks that I fill up with an adapter for 20lb tanks from HarborFreight. It works great for me, and it adjusts small enough to anneal 9x25 (based on a 10mm case)! I can't think of many/another machines that can.. Only downside is that you can't drop a pile of brass in it and walk away, not that you should really be walking away from an open flame propane torch ;) Several people are working on a case feeder for them.

Depending on what you load (how rare brass is), If you convert (it's time consuming), or if you simply have the time and like to save money. I'd Anneal to preserve your brass for as long as possible.

Just my 2¢
Happy and Safe Reloading to ya!

Autodidact
City: West of Cheney
Favorite Firearm: Walther MP5K
Next Firearm: Custom Built 300BLK

Post by Autodidact » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:19 pm

As IRUAK88, mentioned the refill adapter does work great. Been doing that process for over 30 years for my camping bottles. Only one drawback if it is at all. The DOT says you can't transport the bottles if they have been refilled. Yeah right, are these the same people who shoved HAZMAT costs up our a*$#?
I like the fact his annealer is reasonably priced. As is this one by AGS.
https://agscustomparts.com/product/ags-brass-annealer/
Only problem I can see, is you need to purchase a 12V adapter off Ebay or somewhere for $10.
I do like the fact both units take up very little space. When annealing, you need to know at what step to anneal or you may end up crushing a few necks or shoulders. The process does help extend a cases life if applied at the proper time.
My Annealeez had flaws, which were remedied by making a custom bent burning tip, re-coating the wheels and putting adjustable lifting feet on the front. I found out the hard way, when you have a case with a sharp angle to the body, as with a 7.62X39, when you try to load up too many at one time, they have a tendency to fall off the feeding ramp prematurely. Another reason to NEVER leave the unit running by itself.