Roll or taper

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
Mossy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I sold

Roll or taper

Post by Mossy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am

Just curious on what everyone prefers. Reason I ask is my 38/357 and 44 magnum 3 die carbide sets only have the taper option. So I've been ok will taper crimping for the 38/357 loads due to reading it's a sufficient crimp for those rounds. BUT I've been reading that the 44 magnum needs a roll crimp. If 44 magnum needs a roll crimp then why would the die sets only give you the option for a taper? Btw I'm referring to my rcbs sets.
A big thanks to fellow veterans and active duty personnel/family for your sacrifice of this country

Rigger28
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane/Metaline
Favorite Firearm: Ruger M77 .375 Ruger
Next Firearm: .410 SxS

Re: Roll or taper

Post by Rigger28 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I have purchased a Lee FCD for all of my straight wall and lever action calibers. They are cheap and you get a much more consistent crimp. They are super easy to setup and use as well. Just my opinion though.

Abruzzi
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: S&W
Next Firearm: Masquelier

Post by Abruzzi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 pm

My 38 and 44 RCBS sets came with roll crimp dies, and they work fine. I didn't even know they sold sets with taper crimp dies for revolver cartridges, but I see they do, at least for 38/357. Must be for plated bullets.
You sure your 44 set is taper crimp? I don't see that set listed on the RCBS site.

Mossy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Mossy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Abruzzi wrote:My 38 and 44 RCBS sets came with roll crimp dies, and they work fine. I didn't even know they sold sets with taper crimp dies for revolver cartridges, but I see they do, at least for 38/357. Must be for plated bullets.
You sure your 44 set is taper crimp? I don't see that set listed on the RCBS site.

I'm pretty sure the paperwork with the die set says anything in a gray box and made after 2010 produces a taper crimp. The 38/357's I've loaded definitely produced a taper crimp.
A big thanks to fellow veterans and active duty personnel/family for your sacrifice of this country

Mossy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Mossy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:42 pm

I guess the gray box thing isn't always the case. I loaded some up last night with the carbide set and got a good roll crimp. Thanks fellas

Mossy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Mossy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:48 am

Rigger28 wrote:I have purchased a Lee FCD for all of my straight wall and lever action calibers. They are cheap and you get a much more consistent crimp. They are super easy to setup and use as well. Just my opinion though.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the FCD; very easy to use and my rounds look great.

Norskie
City: Reardan WA
Favorite Firearm: garand
Next Firearm: 17 fireball

Post by Norskie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

Roll crimps are used with bullets that have a crimping groove. (Cannelure) also when there is a chance of back out with recoil. (Bullet backs out of the case) cartridges that headspace on the mouth of the case need a taper crimp. This ensures proper headspace of the cartridge.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 pm

I believe RCBS dies will do both. High recoil loads are usually roll crimped into a groove. Double check your instructions.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by edzz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am

Back in the day I learned that it was unlikely for me to experience a spuib if I used a heavy crimp when loading with 296, h110, 4227, 2400 and other slow burning powders. The worst offender for me was h110,or 296 in 357 with a light slug. Seems the bullet would start to launch before full powder ignition. A heavy roll crimp solved this. I accepted this as a fix and never looked back.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Gleng
Serious Gun Trader
City: Grand Coulee
Favorite Firearm: Depends on the day

Post by Gleng » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm

I use a roll crimp for revolvers as they headspace on the case rim. For semi-autos I use a taper crimp as they headspace on the case mouth. I have had taper crimped ammo that the shot shell capsule crept forward and locked the cylinder up in a Ruger Blackhawk .44 MAG before.

ktmrocks
City: Rathdrum
Favorite Firearm: Glock 22 - Gen. 4

Post by ktmrocks » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 pm

+1 for the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Turning off the radio I said; "I now know that anything that's too stupid to be said, has to be sung"