Discuss all things rimfire...
sirjoshalot
Rookie Member
City: Cheney/WA
Favorite Firearm: M1903
Next Firearm: 1911

Stevens 416 .22

Post by sirjoshalot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Does any one have any info about the Stevens 416? I just got one that was my great grand fathers and I can't find any info at all. Thanks in advance.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Waterdog
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: 50 cal. Knight
Next Firearm: One i dont have...

Re: Stevens 416 .22

Post by Waterdog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Any more info?
Several to choose from on google.....

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 pm

No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 am

From Wikipedia:

Beginning in 1880, the company began making falling block rifles. These, though less well known than Ballard or Winchester firearms, were of comparable quality. They were priced lower than those of Ballard or Winchester, making the Stevens' falling block models competitive in the marketplace. Under names like Favorite, Little Scout, Crack Shot, and Marksman, Stevens sold millions of reliable single-shots. The total number of single-shot firearms manufactured by the company exceeded 3.5 million by 1892.[12]

Stevens, under the ownership of New England Westinghouse, produced over 770,000 Mosin-Nagant rifles under contract with the Russian government between 1916-1917, of which 225,260 were delivered. The rest were sold to the US Government who supplied them to the American Expeditionary Forces, White Russian forces, Finland, and the Civilian Marksmanship Program.[6][7]

Stevens produced a notable number of military arms, the most common being the Stevens Model 416 bolt-action rifle in .22LR caliber. The United States Military used the model 416 as a training rifle around the time of the Second World War. There is some debate and speculation regarding the extent to which the United States military made use of these rifles with their roles almost certainly being limited to basic firearm training. The military's Model 416 was stamped with "U.S. Property" on the rear left of the receiver. Rifles with this stamping have been found with serial numbers around 100,000. Various ordnance markings and proof marks can be found on this military rifle.

The 416 had a dramatically over sized bull barrel and a large wooden stock. The heavy barrel design added a great deal of weight which compared unfavorably with larger rifles such as the military's various .30 caliber offerings. It had adjustable peep sight apertures, a hooded front sight, and a small, removable magazine.[13][14]

During World War II, Savage used the Stevens facilities to produce several military firearms including the Savage Lee–Enfield No. 4 rifle,[15] the Thompson submachine gun, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), and the Browning M1919 and M2 machineguns.[13][14][16]

These guns with military markings sell for $500-to $900 depending on the condition and if it has all the "correct" and original parts. Many of the US property guns were re-arsenaled by the military and apparently collectors don't like those as much as ones that are 100 percent original. Prior to WWII, Sears sold the Stevens 416 under the "Ranger" name. These guns known to be accurate and compare favorably to the Winchester model 52's.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

sirjoshalot
Rookie Member
City: Cheney/WA
Favorite Firearm: M1903
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by sirjoshalot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a civilian model without a serial number.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:45 pm

sirjoshalot wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a civilian model without a serial number.
Prior to 1967 there was no law requiring manufacturers to put a S/n on every gun so many lower priced models, esspcially 22's, were made without them.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri May 06, 2016 9:18 am

scrappy wrote:
sirjoshalot wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a civilian model without a serial number.
Prior to 1967 there was no law requiring manufacturers to put a S/n on every gun so many lower priced models, esspcially 22's, were made without them.

The Stevens 416 was never a low-priced gun but the reason they didn't serial number their civilian models was probably just convenience, to keep them separate from the military issue models.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Sun May 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Actually the Gun Control Act of 1968 is what made manufacturers required to place serial numbers on their guns. Prior to the GCA of 1968 most serial numbers were just for internal record keeping by the factory. IIRC, a lot of the rimfires prior to 1968 did not have serial numbers. I have a Winchester Model 67 that I was given when I was 8 (my first real gun) that does not have a serial number.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!